Music what media player do you use?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I've used winamp for about 8 years. I like it because it's simple and customisable, however for the last couple of years, every now and again I get a bug which means I have to do a clean reinstall, repopulate my library and lose all my play-counts and play-lists etc.

So now i'm looking for something new. I'm not bothered about videos since I use VLC for that, I pretty much only want to listen to music i've got on my pc already; about 10k songs.

Anyone recommend anything good? And anyone who's thinking iTunes can go fuck themselves straight away

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
foobar2000 and vlc on doze
a terminal based thing I've forgotten the name of for music and iirc mPlayer on LNX
PMS to stream to my pissthree.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Most play stuff directly out of folders on my hard-drive through WMP or through Spotify. Never liked having my mp3s as a 'digital library' or whatever so I've just stuck with folders for god knows how many years.

That said, my most used platform for listening to music is my record player.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
pc : vlc (video) & wmp (audio)

unless you know your onions, if it plays music, it plays music. Decent speaker system is what u need. I got an old 7 surround set up. Does the job. Will replace it when I order my new PC

phone - mobo

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Is WMP decent now then? I've had it uninstalled since the times of XP since it seemed to buggy. Not to mention it couldnt play half the file types I use, FLAC etc.

Helme

Resident Freddy
VLC for non-HD video, Media Player Classic for HD.

For music/audiobooks etc. I use WMP, mostly because it's the only program my keyboards quick pause/play/forward etc. keys support fully.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Winamp - Audio
Media Player Classic - Video

I like fubar, but I really don't like the way it loads all the tag details of every tune you load into it at the same time. Feel like loading a large folder for a random play? Wait three years while it populates information for tracks you won't hear...

VLC is a useful media player, but to be honest, it plays lots but to a very poor standard. Shitloads of screen tearing, awful x264 playback performance, generally not very impressive.

Modern WMP I still find really shitty.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I like VLC's ability to go beyond 100% volume without going into some hidden setting menu, some shows just have really awful audio and raising it on the actual hardware usually results in static.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
SpinalTap_Edith_503.jpg

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
VLC for most, Media Player classic for some stuff.

Syri

FH is my second home
I use foobar2000 for music and SMplayer for video.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I just appreciate good quality music, mp3's are pointlessly awful. Until my media server / NAS is finished I won't have enough space to rip everything into FLAC.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
FLAC is such a pain in the arse. It's good, but annoying. File size and compatibility wise it's still not really viable, like you say.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I just appreciate good quality music, mp3's are pointlessly awful. Until my media server / NAS is finished I won't have enough space to rip everything into FLAC.

I rip everything to FLAC. Quality :)

FLAC is such a pain in the arse. It's good, but annoying. File size and compatibility wise it's still not really viable, like you say.

Why is FLAC a pain in the arse? It takes seconds to rip a track accurately to FLAC and then I can convert to what I want, when I want. Filesize is all about lossless, if you want quality you need the space. As for compatibility, check the list of vendors offering native FLAC support. Being open source and free of shitty patents works wonders.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
foobar 2000 for music
media player classic + cccp (combined community codec pack)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I rip everything to FLAC. Quality :)

Why is FLAC a pain in the arse? It takes seconds to rip a track accurately to FLAC and then I can convert to what I want, when I want. Filesize is all about lossless, if you want quality you need the space. As for compatibility, check the list of vendors offering native FLAC support. Being open source and free of shitty patents works wonders.

what he said. once you've had FLAC you can never go back!!!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
what he said. once you've had FLAC you can never go back!!!

FWAP FWAP!!

Ooops, I meant FLAC FLAC! Got carried away then :p

Seriously, if you want quality you spend thousands on your amps, speakers, cables, why not spend serious amounts of money on storage ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom