What is

D

darthshearer

The best way to back up your system?

I want to back up my system of all my important files i.e work stuff and some svae games etc. Is it best to get another HD and just put it onto there?

If it is what do I do? Just format it and then dump the stuff on?

S

(Shovel)

There's various ways: For day to day stuff, System Restore in XP is actually pretty good for undoing shit software.

For backing up: I believe Microsoft also have a backup program, but I've no idea how (how well) it works.

I've not backed up for ages (bad Ben!), but I do it with Norton Ghost when I do, I used that to back up my Windows partition - as I say, I tend to use System Restore instead now.

A second hard drive is helpful since it's large and quick, but a good wad of CD-RW disks is ample. Someone else might be able to offer better ideas of "what to back up" and how, since things like boot records are very useful to have around!

S

Scooba Da Bass

If it is just save games and work related files burn it onto a CDR, the price of them is such that you can literally afford to do it daily if you have to. Ir you need a bit more storage space a DVD-R/RW drive offers around 4.7 gig of space, the cost of the blank DVDs is coming down almost weekly.

Yes, a HD will work, but unless you remove it and store it elsewhere you may well end up with the same problems on the drive that require you to use a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom