What is the worst MMORPG service experienced?

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
To take our minds of our US cousins enjoying a pretty flawless launch of a mass Beta whilst we experience the exact opposite, anyone want to regurgitate some of those classic cock ups in service from MMORPG companies so we can put GOA's laughable 'service' in context?.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I wasn't there but Legends speaks of Anarchy Online being particularly bad.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
With examples from GOA? It wouldnt help much.

By comparison others struggle to compete.

B

Benedictine

I was there for AO and it was bad - that was gameplay issues too though. I remember trying to run through the city and taking 30 mintues to get between 2 close locs.

I have a feeling this could be very close.

Andyredbeard

Fledgling Freddie
Age of Conan by Funcom is the worst launch I have experienced. I think EA was delayed only one day, so that wasn't so bad. However there were so many players, including me, who had severe problems with the buggy game client. I mean, several crashes every night weren't particularly amusing. To try and find a solution I spent a lot of time in the technical support forum, and out of all the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads in there I only ever saw 4 responses from Funcom. Needles to say I gave up and cancelled my account after 1½ month :p. In short, their lack of customer support was what made me leave.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Age of Conan by Funcom is the worst launch I have experienced. I think EA was delayed only one day, so that wasn't so bad. However there were so many players, including me, who had severe problems with the buggy game client. I mean, several crashes every night weren't particularly amusing. To try and find a solution I spent a lot of time in the technical support forum, and out of all the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads in there I only ever saw 4 responses from Funcom. Needles to say I gave up and cancelled my account after 1½ month :p. In short, their lack of customer support was what made me leave.

AoC worked perfectly for me from open beta through to launch. Every thing worked to a high enough degree and their timetable was kept to.

Pity it just wasn't a great game and didn't contain half the content promised.

Andyredbeard

Fledgling Freddie
AoC worked perfectly for me from open beta through to launch. Every thing worked to a high enough degree and their timetable was kept to.

Well, yes, it worked fine for me as well... until I got out of Tortage. Then the torture began :p.

Tauron753

Fledgling Freddie
Well, obviously there's bound to be problems, but WOW's launch was flawless, except for the obvious parts, the 500000 europeans going on their site at the same time, but hey, that's inevitable, GOA screwed up in so many other ways, as in.. Not updating us, telling us lies, putting some POPULATION CAP ON SERVERS? >_>

I'm crying, so I'm gonna play AOC with my buddy-account for a while.

Dudds

Fledgling Freddie

Didn't have half the content, bugs had not been fixed, quests that didn't work, no community support, grinders who leveled faster than expected were accused to botting and had items+money stripped...

Blizzard - Servers goes up - Que for 2 hours - Play for 20 mins - Start to get vendor lag - Servers Go Down, repeat for the rest of the week. What's more their idea of balancing the classes is to look at which class whines the most, buff them, and then hit everyone else with a big nerf stick.

LOTRO I didn't play so I don't know but I heard similar complaints.

Can't say I know many other MMO's that have had similar sized launches to this so it's hardly fair to compare them. I know it's been far from fulfilling today and I too have been pulling my hair out, mainly because I've spent to much time sat staring at a cog wheel, but I can't say I found any other OB starts anymore rewarding. However I would have liked to be able to patch while we waited for the authintification servers to come online. Without validating my key it would seem this isn't possible.

Don't know if this puts the situation in context but TBH I expected this, not because it's GoA, but because I have yet to see a flawless launch on this scale.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
It depends what you classify as a successful launch. A lot of what you mention are what i would consider to be just gameplay issues.

IMO a Successful launch delivers a stable client and stable servers, on time and in a playable condition. The game might be shit still but thats a separate issue.

Xahl

Fledgling Freddie
Something like:
''We are opening the server tomorrow''
After month (yes a MONTH) or so None usefull/new updates from the staff. only VERY little improment on the site.

Luv u Blizzard <3..... NOT!

mrbandersnatch

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I had a beta experience as bad as this was some tiny Russian MMORPG M***** something. I think it was basically 5 guys in an office and THEY managed to fix the log in process faster than GOA :/

Andyredbeard

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I had a beta experience as bad as this was some tiny Russian MMORPG M***** something. I think it was basically 5 guys in an office and THEY managed to fix the log in process faster than GOA :/
Well, you know, in Motherland Russia the servers log in on YOU!

(Edit: Sorry, that didn't make much sense. But I had a chance at one of those Russia quotes and I took it! Ok!?)

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
LOTRO I didn't play so I don't know but I heard similar complaints.

Apart from some SLI and DX Issues, I've had no problems at all with LOTRO, it was great and for me so was DDO, but then I assume the volume of users was less and the company doing it bigger.

mrbandersnatch

Fledgling Freddie
Well, you know, in Motherland Russia the servers log in on YOU!

(Edit: Sorry, that didn't make much sense. But I had a chance at one of those Russia quotes and I took it! Ok!?)

hehehe Shouldnt that be "In Russia, registration servers register YOU" ;)

Enjoy

Fledgling Freddie
What SOE did to Star Wars Galaxies is hands down the worst thing in the mmo history. :(

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
You mean besides GOA?
Well GOA in DAoC still stands supreme for me. All other MMOs have been enjoyment compared to that.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
What SOE did to Star Wars Galaxies is hands down the worst thing in the mmo history. :(

Although I wasn't part of it, the demonstration against SOE by the players on a SWG server was one of the funniest anti- service provider incidents in MMO history.

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Im still tempted to blame Sony for this, the credit crunch and 5 days of persistent rain.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Well, very true... this is mild rain compared to the ocean of dissaster that SOE made out of SWG... banning people for having sold stuff in return for what turned out to be dupped money (i.e. banning innocent people), then mass-teleporting demonstrating members of the community around to ignore the problem and try and mute the protest... good going, I say...

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Anarchy Online launch and when all items for everyone on Prydwen went missing a few years back.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Vanguard - on double xp weekend during first couple of weeks I crashed and lost about 6 hours of gamplay time...with absolutely nothing offered by way of solution/compensation

Hammahead

Fledgling Freddie
Haven't played that many mmo's but didn't have problems with any until this one (EU).
I dont see how anyone can justify such huge lack of information, including closed beta during the weekends.
Allways 50% chance no one would boot them back up until late Sunday if they crashed on Friday after hours.

Think my launch history is something like this:
AC1
AC2
SWG
WOW
Tabula Rasa
WAR

SWG was great in the beginning, Combat Medic was pro...such awesome ways to heal ;)

Hope they (GOA) pull it together, this is a pretty great game too!

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
This is the worst experience for me, but the only other MMORPG I've played is WoW, and that was around the release of TBC and a little bit after it.

Bluetribal

Fledgling Freddie
Anarchy Online (funcom). I even pre-ordered that game. It scarred me for life.

Ribbit

Fledgling Freddie
GOA's handling of DAoC, but UO's in game customer support (prior to them all being sacked) had to be experienced to be believed.

They were hand in glove with the darned hackers. :(

zlarx

Fledgling Freddie

Holy shit that post woke up a part of my memory that should have been long lost. Is the game you are talking about by any chance Meridian 59? I remember playing that for a month or two, but that was really YEARS ago.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
This is fucking beta, you have payed nothing so far and you complain like 10 years old there cant get his candy.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzard, WoW
the famouse loot lag, kill a mob, loot it, stand there for 5 minutes trying to loot not able to do anything
and gl trying to complete a instance, half way through, instance servers crash, you log back in and stand in the begining of a fresh respawned isntance

Funcom, AoC
hello 33% less damage from female chars which been known through out the whole closed beta and they was not able to fix it untill like 4 months into the game, and Keep sieges not working at all. Tons of other things to be said about Funcom but cba really

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom