what is the role of the tank in RvR?

M

maxamber

Well, I've spent some time in the battlegrounds now, and my observation of a typical scenario is:
- 2 groups face off just out of range
- a nuker or archer steps forward & shoots
- the enemy nuke/shoot them to death instantly

So, as a tank, what can I do? If I step forward or try to circle round, I just get zapped. My short-bow doesn't have the range to be useful. I've tried protecting the nukers/healers in case of stealth attacks, but as soon as a stealther attacks they get instantly nuked anyway.

So, am I missing something or is being a tank completely useless in RvR? The tanks on the other side don't appear to be doing anything either. Maybe the groups I'm with don't have good tactics, but currently I feel like a spare wheel...

B

Belsameth

they're a nice target for mez/root/bolt/dd while the ranged classes finish the others off

M

Munkey-

Although tanks had first been used during the battle of the Somme they were unreliable and often broke down. In August 1918, however, they were to provide the Allies with an important advantage when 400 tanks were used to break through the German lines at Amiens. During this battle 800 aeroplanes supported the tanks. Through the course of the war the use of aeroplanes changed from their initial role in reconnaissance to an active role in battles through the dropping of bombs and firing of machine guns

There ya go matey.

V

vindicat0r

As a tank you have many roles mate but you must decide before u roam whether u are on defence or offense.

Now in most normal RvR fights 1 fg will get the drop on another in which case ur job is to take quickly as u can take out ther CC / healers. With them having no range on u, ther dead pretty quick.

If in the same situation u are on defensive u shud still try kill a healer / CC class by healing ur nukers with /assist Caster 1 ..... this way you dont have to wait to see the flames / blasts on the enemy to attack u just /assist and /stick + start hitting.

If though however u find ur self in a fight wer the 2 grps see each other well in advance then thers a few things that shud happen.

If ur an alb and u have a sorc then the grp shud be mezzd leaving u free to charge :p. do the same as the above when u get close.

If ur a hib or mid then run in and use ur insta asap, then run in and starting taking out ther support / CC,

IF ur on defense this is when its important ur awake, u slam / bash the enemy tanks or run at the casters so they wont kill ur support charcs, without ur support charcs u are nothing

As a tank expect to die lots, ur supposed to simple as that. If played well u wont die v much at all but u have to know what to do in any given situation, over time u will know instinctivly what to do and more importantly when to do it.

A quick addition,

If neither grp is getting close enough then dont be afraid to try to goat enemy casters / CC a little closer, they will run towards u and try nuke / mezz / root / stun etc etc u but if u dart forwards and then quickly backwards they will leave them selves in range and u are out of ther range. letting a casters / CC'er get them which starts the ball rolling.

ps: :D ...... As a tank if u dont have intercept and /guard on a caster / CC'er / healer u will get a slap the up side of the head :D

For those of u who dont know / arent sure :

Intercept : U will step in front of an attack for the person u have placed intercept on, this will result in u taking max dmg from that blow or miniumum its hard to say.

you can intercept every 30 secs, a good tank will use it at least twice in a fight and it could mean the win or lose for ur grp. Even if u die intercepting ;) ..... done it before makes battles v cool :D

T

Tobold

thats just bg fights, usually (usually) very different from normal (emain stylee) RvR, usually with 1fg vs 1fg the mezzer will stop first and spam aoe mez, the stealthers will disappear and home in for their mezzer/nuker, and the tanks will all use /assist to bring down the other group as fast as possible, usually starting with the strongest and moving to the weakest (zerkers are usually prime targets... or they were anyway)
tanks protective apilities are quite limited, they're really just there to take the damage while you kill people

O

old.shotgunstow

To break mez, let the casters and clerics die, then get pwned by a zerker.

C

Cala-more

role = die via chanter or zerker. Either is nice but i prefer dieing to the RG zerg while solo tbh

V

vindicat0r

Dont mind the rest. Read what I said and u will be fine mate :)

They just think ther teh funneh with a n00b who needs help :D

K

Kindar

I died alot too in bgs, but when the battle is hot and you can get up in their faces. Damn they can be dead.... at the lvl 50 rvr tanks has big importance. I normally either protect a healer by guarding and intercepting for him...slam any inc tanks who wanna kill that healer. Thats the defensive.
My offensive is simply to chase caster and healers...this might get you killed, but it can do a lot of havoc to the enemy cause they suddenly have to focus a bit harder.
Perhaps its just a matter of luck too :-P

O

old.TeaSpoon

If I do remember correctly, the damage taken on intercept is based on the person who you are intercepting for's AF.

Pretty sure thats it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom