What is ffxi like?

K

Khalen

you can get a PS2 PC controller right? or something similar... Think I've seen those around... so it's easy to use? and maybe I should try without mouse indeed... all I seem to use it for is menu's and targeting...

C

Cush

You can buy ps2 controll converter to a pc then use a ps2 controll

B

BlitheringIdiot

I will be seriously considering donig that then, just when I thought I could cope with the controls I grouped, I looked like a right ass...

R

Restart

Can buy a convertor from www.play.com
Prolly will get one myself as using keyboard + mouse combo makes me look like a retard (ingame) :)

One thing though, anyone know if you can still use keyboard for typing if you use the controller?

S

Sharma

Ive gotten used to keyboard and mouse. works fine for me.

LONG LIVE THE KEYBOARD!

W

<Wels>

Originally posted by Sharma

LONG LIVE THE KEYBOARD!

ye I got no idea how ppl can fit all those macroes and stuff on that controler

C

Conchabar

LONG LIVE THE KEYBOARD!

keyboard+mouse 4 l1f3

O

old.Dillinja

I've pretty much stopped using the mouse completely now, the controls seem OK to me. I hated them at first and didn't think I would ever get the hang of it but I did and now they are OK, not as good as DAOC but OK.

The only problem I have with the game at the moment is the harsh penalty for death. Death seems to be quite common in this game and I think that the amount of xp reduced when you die should be lowered, I also think that levelling down should be removed :p

W

Whisperess

I find it more sick that the penalty for grouping is so insanely high.

XP plunges when going from solo to duo. Both per kill and over time.

Guess it gets better at a bit higher levels with a more well-formed group :)

Btw - don't use the mouse for targetting, it sucks :)

'0' on the numerical keypad. Don't need it for menu either, '-' on numerical will make it pop for you :)

N

Nephand

Yeah, I got to 10 just before on my thief, and went off (having just levelled) feeling fairly pleased with my night's work. I returned and died to a goblin thug and weaver.... I'd taken the same combo quite easily at 9. Needless to say I said Hello to 9 again :eek: Thankfully I got back to 10 fairly quickly, then fled the scene.

I don't think I've spoken to many people at all. Probably only one person for more than a few lines... I seem to either be going somewhere in town and so don't stop to chew the cud, or I'm out hunting.

Just have to avoid the dreaded burnout.

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Whisperess
I find it more sick that the penalty for grouping is so insanely high.

XP plunges when going from solo to duo. Both per kill and over time.

Guess it gets better at a bit higher levels with a more well-formed group :)

Btw - don't use the mouse for targetting, it sucks :)

'0' on the numerical keypad. Don't need it for menu either, '-' on numerical will make it pop for you :)

you have to group at higher levels :)

150-250 per mob is a good group

80-150 per mob is yer normal pickup groups

O

old.Dillinja

You reckon I should be grouping now I'm level 10 or is soloing still more productive?

V

Vegy

Bah, I had given up on the idea of getting ffxi because my new job finishes a bit late to start another 'time sink' game like daoc where getting 0-<max level> would take months for someone who cant play alot (unlike students, jobless bums(me), part timers, etc).
If it can be played casually then I'm definately gonna reconsider :).

S

Sharma

It can be played casually, theres nothing there thats pushing you to be the "omg wtfpwnz0r level 70".
Theres always groups around your level too.
The game can be powergamed but then you miss out on a lot, theres a lot of fluff in it so casual players can get a lot of fun out of it too. :)

W

Whisperess

Those short timespots opens up for some serious Auction House Action ( aha! ). :)

F

Faeldawn

FFXI is great for the casual gamer imo, i hit lvl 9 last night after a week (Edit, just lost a lvl, oh well :)) when some who started the same day as me are lvl 20 and it doesnt bother me in the least :)

As whisperess says the auction house is sweet for the casual gamer, fill up yer slots, play for a few hours then log and usually you have a nice surprise when you log back on in a few days :D

This is the first mmorpg i have played with a storyline, its this storyline that keeps me playing and is the reason why i dont mind only playin a few hours a day max. It will never progress faster than me, so i can take my time and enjoy it :)

B

BlitheringIdiot

Is no one else concerned about the fact that ther eis little driving us to get lvl70, which means there probably isnt much for us to do once we get to lvl70.

As it is I doubt Ill get there and so I will really enjoy this game, but end game doesnt look too good.

O

old.tRoG

There is no 'end game' - You can just pick up another class and take it to 70 :p

The joy :D

But, I suppose PvP will give the lvl 70s something to do when it arrives.

N

Nephand

Correction, it will give the level 75s something to do ;)

Next patch raises the cap apparently.

O

old.Dillinja

I'm going to keep levelling with the thought of PvP at the end of it driving me on. Of course I will enjoy the game up until then but that will probably be what I will enjoy most about the game... If they pull it off. We've got a long way to go yet though so it's not really worth thinking about.

S

Sharma

Thats the level cap in a couple of weeks, But aye ive seen a few level 70s walking round looking godly in thir AF. :p

C

Conchabar

Thats the level cap in a couple of weeks, But aye ive seen a few level 70s walking round looking godly in thir AF. :p

any of them nolby pride or german ?:p

W

Whisperess

Does it matter?

You're not competing against them anyway - there's no PK in this game, and probably never will be. ( the PvP expansion doesn't include PK'ing, thank god ).

Just face it that it's a completely different game. A game of cooperation where rewards lie in joint effort among players to conquer land from NPC's. If "you" ( aimed at anyone in general, not Conch in particular ) play just to be über and wtfpwn anyone else, kindly shift your focus to another game and don't soil this one with the "l33t" attitude that ruined Daoc. It's already begun if you check forums; "No, don't use that as a subjob! You'll be a gimp!!!1" - "What's the best race for [insert class]?!?" etc - and it's disheartening. There are no gimps in this game, apart from unsocial kids who in a desperate grasp to prove that their willy is bigger has to be 'teh best'.

To answer Blith: No, I'm not at all concerned that the game doesn't force me to level as fast as possible, so that I have to hurry through quests and not enjoy the sweet storyline and lovely atmosphere. It does not concern me that the game progresses when I want it to, nor does it concern me that I'm practically free to do what I want, and enjoy it in the way I see fit.

I find the world a place to 'exist' and just 'be', not a passage way to mayhem, destruction and an aim to make other players feel bad; just to gain a little more profit. In this game, the fun part is constant, not just a thing you have to go through a leveling grind to reach.

My my... I'm starting to sound bitter :D

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Conchabar
any of them nolby pride or german ?:p

Japanese mainly, then again they have had the game for something like a year now :)

L

-Lonewolf-

Originally posted by Whisperess
Does it matter?

You're not competing against them anyway - there's no PK in this game, and probably never will be. ( the PvP expansion doesn't include PK'ing, thank god ).

Just face it that it's a completely different game. A game of cooperation where rewards lie in joint effort among players to conquer land from NPC's. If "you" ( aimed at anyone in general, not Conch in particular ) play just to be über and wtfpwn anyone else, kindly shift your focus to another game and don't soil this one with the "l33t" attitude that ruined Daoc. It's already begun if you check forums; "No, don't use that as a subjob! You'll be a gimp!!!1" - "What's the best race for [insert class]?!?" etc - and it's disheartening. There are no gimps in this game, apart from unsocial kids who in a desperate grasp to prove that their willy is bigger has to be 'teh best'.

To answer Blith: No, I'm not at all concerned that the game doesn't force me to level as fast as possible, so that I have to hurry through quests and not enjoy the sweet storyline and lovely atmosphere. It does not concern me that the game progresses when I want it to, nor does it concern me that I'm practically free to do what I want, and enjoy it in the way I see fit.

I find the world a place to 'exist' and just 'be', not a passage way to mayhem, destruction and an aim to make other players feel bad; just to gain a little more profit. In this game, the fun part is constant, not just a thing you have to go through a leveling grind to reach.

My my... I'm starting to sound bitter :D

Er think ur find the PvP is more like RvR so u will find yourself in amongst all that is supposedly our doom soon Jan-March2004 to be precise :)

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-
Er think ur find the PvP is more like RvR so u will find yourself in amongst all that is supposedly our doom soon Jan-March2004 to be precise :)
No it isn't - there is no PK ( player killing ) in FFXI PvP.

It is conquest based, and I'm guessing that it's the new limbo areas that players actively compete group by group to gain control of ( without killing eachother ).

Since there is no PK, it can not be the same as in Daoc; hopefully not as frustrating.

C

Cush

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Japanese mainly, then again they have had the game for something like a year now :)

Its more like 1½ year

I

I_R_Big_Troll

vewwy vewwy gwood

started playin it myself last night. Its wicked conchy mate - takes some time to get used to the camera and the interface. But i had a good teacher (/wave to whisp :D).

Also I have to say the quest system is absolutely wonderfull - was vewwy vewwy inewesting to do the onion one :D hehehe

hope to see you there mate :D

/wave

Users who are viewing this thread