What is ffxi like?

C

Conchabar

Hay guys just wanting to know how u guys r finding it and whats it like ? is it more fun then daoc etc .. whats the pvp, pve like, leveling, items.. classes etc :)

O

old.tRoG

Jiggs stole my sig! *ahem*

The PvE is vastly better than daoc - it's not even in the same league. Classes seem a lot more balanced, things are generally more fun, and, apart from the control system, which is utterly crap to begin with, everything seems pretty much polished to perfection :)

Don't know about PvP though, as it hasn't been implemented yet. (Is coming fairly soonish, though).

B

BlitheringIdiot

Yup a lot more fun! I've found, the game is packed full of little sub-adventures and stuff to keep you occupied.

Reminds me a lot of Zelda actually (I've never played an FF game before). Except that the world is full of actual people!

S

Sharma

Aha you too BI? ive noticed that too, probably why i like it so much. :D

The way things work in FFXI are excellent, its greatly suited for both ways of playing, Powergaming or casual as there is TONS of stuff to do.

The way you can expand your character is amazing, the job system is so much more flexible than anything that ive seen in a game before. :D

F

Faeldawn

FFXI is a game that even a nubber like me can play and enjoy without the constant "IWTFPWNEDJ00........GIMP!!1!!.....etc etc" mentality.

I spend half my time wandering around chatting to peeps, dont really do any xping, and quests atm, but not hard-core questing (as in im doing a lot of them, just verrryyyy slooowwwlllyyy ;)).

FFXI is great for a casual gamer like myself who likes to escape for a few hours a day and relax, play a little at my own pace and enjoy it.

R

Restart

Come and play with meh Conch mate :D

(no not in that way) :rolleyes:

Game is really cool btw :p only playing a friends copy atm, but getting my own soonish when I got the cash.

K

Khalen

Some nice posts :) One question I do ask though, do you like it because it's good or just refreshing because daoc became boring? Like are there stuff you don't know yet or is everyone passing the LEET job combinations etc. around and everyone telling what to do?

S

Sharma

lol no, the atmosphere in FFXI is very much "roll what you want".

There is no real "best" race/class/What have you combination.

Its a co-op based game so the rules are very very loose. Its a nice game, Be it you want to be a powergamer, wont do much good being one however as you will miss all sorts of things that happen.

Its a very "take it at your own pace" game. :)

J

Jaxal

u cant even start to compare daoc pve with ffxi pve
monsters in ffxi are very hard, they do critical hits, cast magic, do special moves, cast status changes, etc.

but this makes it all more fun, really a challenge to kill the big monsters with ur group

B

BlitheringIdiot

Im playing a tarutaru warrior which has to be the definition of gimped, yet I dont care and neither do other people. I do have less hp and I d do less damage than other warriors but for some reason it doesnt seem to matter. Yet I'd never ever roll a similarly gimped char in DAoC.

Although I will say now that this probably wont have the same life span for me as DAoC did, but then DAoC probably only had such a life span as there werent many good games to replace it with.

K

Khalen

Great too hear the replies :) Gonna order it right now!

J

Jiggs

well its true anything is possible but people will look a bit wierdly at you if you roll up as a paladin/black mage or something.

class/race combinations are more based around common sense: for example alot of the advance tank classes combine nicely with a warrior sub-class since that means they can taunt to get agro (only warriors can taunt). Likewise tarus generally make the best mages due to their superior Mana Pool which means less down time when you exp.

that said its a milllion mile from daoc's powergamer ethos :)

R

Restart

Made a Tarutaru Monk last night, thought it would be really crap and gimped, but it was actually really cool :p made it from lvl 1-2 without even needing to rest ;) then from 2-3 without dying once :p and I die loads usually

S

'Shy

Dumb question, but is it a paid sub like DAoC? And how much, etc?

H

Hyuga Hinata

Yes, it is a paid sub. I think it's about 10$ a month, and 1$ extra for each new character slot you purchase.

But since you can switch jobs whenever you want you only really need 1 char slot anyway. Only reason to buy more would be to create a new char with a different race.

W

Whisperess

$12.95 for the FFXI content ID, one character slot included.
$1.00 for any additional content ID's ( character slots ).
Expansion is included free of charge.

N

Neural Network

Hm... Seems like a nice game, and fairly easy to get a copy of around here. Only problem is the price being twice as big as any other new PC game. Maybe I can afford it after Christmas.

W

Wrigleys

Originally posted by Neural Network
Hm... Seems like a nice game, and fairly easy to get a copy of around here. Only problem is the price being twice as big as any other new PC game. Maybe I can afford it after Christmas.

Im in the same boat, big FF fan here and really want to get the game but £50 + subs is a lot of money to spend on a game :(

S

'Shy

Yeah, only thing stopping me at the moment is it's expensive :( Prehaps it will come down in price after Christmas when all the hype has gone away..

C

Conchabar

thx for the responce guys i'll give it sum serious thought as my daoc acct runs out fairly shortly :)

S

Sharma

Take a lookie at the screenie archive in my sig, isnt much but its a decent collection i have so far, got another bunch coming up shortly.

M

makgsnake

dont order games like this, they ruin your life.
camelot ruined mine :(
i was like "no fuck off im not coming out, im about to ding 50 with my 5th alt"

il prob end up buying this game though *sigh*

- just abit of advice for the people new to these kind of games

S

Sharma

Im quite glad i havent felt as compelled to play this as much as DAoC did.

I do have thr drive to level my char of course, but not as much so as DAoC did, i must say i did tell a few people where to go when they asked me to come out and i was playing DAoC.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Sharma
Im quite glad i havent felt as compelled to play this as much as DAoC did.

Same, nice to find something i can play casually and not feel like im addicted to a frekkin video game ;)

N

Nephand

Heh, I found it funny that there's a warning after you click Play, saying not to forget about your friends, family, work and school.

C

Cush

Originally posted by Nephand
Heh, I found it funny that there's a warning after you click Play, saying not to forget about your friends, family, work and school.

A thing that aint so funny is the high number of people that actualy do forget friends, family, work and school.

K

Khalen

One thing though, this combat is totally different then from daoc. See it more like a FF game with online option and you see mobs and people running around. Interface is so far the hardest part.

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Khalen
Interface is so far the hardest part.
Try playing without using the mouse at all, gets so much easier :)

C

Cush

Originally posted by Whisperess
Try playing without using the mouse at all, gets so much easier :)

Tho

ps2 controll>all

Its made for a ps2 after all and i wouldent trade mine away for anything atm.

Users who are viewing this thread