What is art?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
So what do you think art?
And what should an artist get a way with?

Just read that the psycho Anna Odell got convicted, her art piece was to play a suicidal psychotic, then she proceded to resist the police that tried to help and get her to a hospital. Then se kept up the act while scaring people in the waiting room, and taking up hospital resources. All in the name of art.
And her sentence was to pay a fine of 250 Euro.

Then we got the arse who spray painted a subway station and a subway car also in the name of art. Both goin to the same Art School.

Should an artist be allowed to break laws in the name of art and where should the line be drawn?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Old stuff is art, like the mona lisa.
new modern art stuff is complete gash.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
um asking what is art is a bit impossible to answer; what one person considers art someone else (tris probably) considers total gash. Whether it is art or not does not stop something from being illegal though, so saying "My hacking up of these children was actually a performance art exhibit" doesn't mean people have to go "oooh right, art, ok then...shall I just throw these limbs back where they were or do you need to start over?"

in other words just saying something is art doesn't give you free reign to act however you want without facing repercussions.

personally I like natural things and find them more interesting, amazing and beautiful than man-made stuff.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If I wrap freshly cooked bacon round my john thomas & stick it between two floury baps, is that art ?

tris-

probably, any old shit is art these days. just visit your local 'art' gallery.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If I wrap freshly cooked bacon round my john thomas & stick it between two floury baps, is that art ?

I wouldn't say it's art. I would say it's a quick way to get a sex change around Dukat though.

gohan

FH is my second home
old art is amazing genrally, as they didnt have the tools and stil made stuff better than we do now

modern art is the biggest pile of elephant wank the world has ever seen, some old cvnt says its good and then every 1 else (who all think its crap most likely) are like yes this is a master piece fap fap fap

performance artists (not actors obv) should all be rounded up and shot for being such airy fairy fuckers

tris-

modern art

underground_modern_art.jpg

art1.jpg

29moma_CA1.600.jpg

versus

proper art

222.jpg

romulus.jpg

Genedril

Part of the furniture
old art is amazing genrally, as they didnt have the tools and stil made stuff better than we do now

modern art is the biggest pile of elephant wank the world has ever seen, some old cvnt says its good and then every 1 else (who all think its crap most likely) are like yes this is a master piece fap fap fap

performance artists (not actors obv) should all be rounded up and shot for being such airy fairy fuckers

Went to the Banksy exhibit in Bristol & I'd call that art - as are his numerous pieces on the walls of Brizzle. That's technically illegal though.

Most of his pieces provoke thought & show artistic merit imho - then again a lot of modern art is just a pile of rubbish (Tracey Emien's bed being a prime example). I'd bet there was a load of crap 'old' art too, it's just not been in galleries & preserved.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
What is art? Well, everything, or nothing? Could be anything too. Who cares.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Isnt the definition of art, something with no function but worth money.

so any useless object thats someone's willing to pay for is considered art

Thorwyn

FH is my second home

That would make my ex gf a piece of art? :eek7:

Never looked at it that way tbh.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
There are Banksey stuff around london that actually has perspex over it so it doesnt get damaged

liloe

It's my birthday today!
That would make my ex gf a piece of art? :eek7:

Never looked at it that way tbh.

Lol, but spread rep etc. :<

Because I'm a grammar-loving language science freak I looked it up in the Duden (German dictionary) and in the Oxford and both more or less say the same thing. Art is a creative work made of different materials or sounds, primarily appreciated for their beauty and emotiional power.

While I do not like modern art myself, one could surely say that classic art is quite repeating itself and was just a means of reflecting reality until the invention of the camera.

So basically art is a very personal and emotional thing and therefore absolutely subjective. For me there is only one way to classify art and that's on a scale from like to dislike. If you ask me, art critics are just a bunch of nonsense talkers, because how can you objectively judge something that was made for the pure purpose of subjectivity?

Now there was the question of where to draw a line, which was answered pretty well already. If people do something against the law, then the line is to be drawn right there.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Any of you seen the film Franklyn? the girl in it at the beginning tries to commit suicide in the name of art. Calls the paramedics before OD'ing and films it all, all for her uni art piece

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Any of you seen the film Franklyn? the girl in it at the beginning tries to commit suicide in the name of art. Calls the paramedics before OD'ing and films it all, all for her uni art piece
sounds like a dumb bint

gohan

FH is my second home
Isnt the definition of art, something with no function but worth money.

nah arent some priceless ming vases counted as art? and u could use them... as a vase!!!!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
That woman should be killed. Waste of flesh and bone.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Art: dropping Victoria Beckham off a tall building, scoop the mess up into a bucket, & throw said contents against a wall. Put a nice gold frame around it. There.

Art.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Art: dropping Victoria Beckham off a tall building, scoop the mess up into a bucket, & throw said contents against a wall. Put a nice gold frame around it. There.

Art.

lol :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom