What graphics card...

M

~Mobius~

...would be best for playing SI/SWG/WoW etc? I'm getting a new pc just for playing games and dont want to buy some crappy one.

Ty in advance.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Geforce fx5900 ultra xDDD

sounds like a hoover, not as bad as the 5800 but still too loud for my liking.

K

Keogh

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Geforce fx5900 ultra xDDD

I got the MSI FX 5900 Ultra running detonator 44.03 and it's amazing. No problems with gfx and there is no noticable noise from the card as it has 2 huge heatsinks and 2 fans (one either side of chip)

I also have a 3ghz P4 and the machine is quiet.

O

old.mattshanes

Originally posted by Keogh
I got the MSI FX 5900 Ultra running detonator 44.03 and it's amazing. No problems with gfx and there is no noticable noise from the card as it has 2 huge heatsinks and 2 fans (one either side of chip)

I also have a 3ghz P4 and the machine is quiet.

Exactly,all this crap about fx5900 being noisy is false,the other models are though.

C

cHodAX

My next door neighbour is using a 5900 as I type this, 2 fans generate more noise than 1. It is that simple, anyone who says the geforce 5900 is no louder than a radeon 9800 is either deaf or a is lying. I have firsthand experience of both and the geforce 5900 is the 2nd noisest card around and of course the loudest is the 5800 which is louder than most cheap power supplies.

C

Cyradix

Some FX 5900 cards maybe noisy but the MSI version is quiet....

K

Keogh

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
My next door neighbour is using a 5900 as I type this, 2 fans generate more noise than 1. It is that simple, anyone who says the geforce 5900 is no louder than a radeon 9800 is either deaf or a is lying. I have firsthand experience of both and the geforce 5900 is the 2nd noisest card around and of course the loudest is the 5800 which is louder than most cheap power supplies.

Pure and simple fucking fact mate. I have an MSI GeForce 5900 FX Ultra and it's the quiest PC I have ever had.

C

cHodAX

Pure and simple fucking fact mate. I have an MSI GeForce 5900 FX Ultra and it's the quiest PC I have ever had.

2 fans > 1 fan = nuff said

Granted the MSI may use quieter fans than other manufacturers but compared to any other card around except the 5800 it is still *loud*

K

Keogh

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
2 fans > 1 fan = nuff said

Granted the MSI may use quieter fans than other manufacturers but compared to any other card around except the 5800 it is still *loud*

Well the tower is right next to me now and i can hardly hear anything from it and I'm ingame. I speak from experience of the card I own so I know what I'm talking about.

C

cHodAX

Well the tower is right next to me now and i can hardly hear anything from it and I'm ingame. I speak from experience of the card I own so I know what I'm talking about.

You are missing the point, I am not saying the *MSI* 5900 is extreme. All saying is that most 5900 cards are loud as I have personally witnessed, add to that the fact that two fans generate more noise that one which would not make the MSI 5900 quiet compared to most other single fan cards. Obviously case quality plays a major part as well as cable routing for cleaner air flow, however you have to accept that most machines aren't built with noise in mind but with cost being the primary factor. Stick a 5900 in an ordinary case and trust me it isn't quiet.

Y

-yoda-

i think the guy wanted to know what the best card was , not which made the least amount of noise :) imo a bit of noise it not a problem as long as the games i play run smoothly :( which they dont atm cos i use a via chip set :(

Users who are viewing this thread