What gaming headset do you use?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
...for voicecomms and how good quality is it?

Interested to see what folks have and how happy they are with their choice. Also, which is your preferred software for voice comms. I know most people use Vent or Teamspeak but I'm feeling nosey and want to know :D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Creative Fatality something or other. Very comfy and the mic is detachable and on a bendy stick so I can either unplug it or just bend it away.

I use vent because people I game with use it, have no personal preference though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I've had a lot of different Sennheisers and love them.
Using PC350's at the moment, but used PC15x/16x in the past.

I much prefer ventrilo - TS3 has similar quality now - but I prefer interface for vent.

Marc

FH is my second home
Creative Fatality something or other. Very comfy and the mic is detachable and on a bendy stick so I can either unplug it or just bend it away.

I use vent because people I game with use it, have no personal preference though.

Same headset as me. No problems at all

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ditto, they were £20 or there abouts and they've lasted well. The removable mic is very handy.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
After trashing loads of headsets (cheap Game ones mainly) I found the Plantronics headset with mic to be amazingly sturdy and gentle on the ears. I recommended it to a friend in Germany who I play online games with frequently and he found it to be pretty good as well; no idea which model but I suspect I got it from PCworld as the other half tends to visit there occasionally.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
...for voicecomms and how good quality is it?

Interested to see what folks have and how happy they are with their choice. Also, which is your preferred software for voice comms. I know most people use Vent or Teamspeak but I'm feeling nosey and want to know :D

Its all about the £3.50 one in tesco man, I've had all those crappy £40-50 ones, and this ones lasted me the longest.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Using some cheap shit called Cosonic. headset and mic all in one and so far haven't had anyone complain.

had that headset for ~10 years or so and still working like a charm.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I use Medusa Speedlink 5.1 USB headset with mic, cost around £80 but was worth it, saves me buying a decent soundcard aswell.

- English -

Resident Freddy
logitech-g330.jpg

was about £30 iirc. I quite like it, also previously had 2 creative fatality ones. Although on both occasions, including my brothers 2 actually, they stopped working after about 1 year and the sound jack on the other broke, so decided to try another.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Roccat Kave user here...

ROCCAT STUDIOS V3.0 - PRODUCTS » Gaming Sound » ROCCAT Kave

weight distribution pads suck ass, I can't really tell if they even have a vibration unit, but sound is good, movies, games or music - Nothing I can complain about on the sound department.

I like that the mic is detachable, don't like that the mute button for the mic is on the side of the controller, if you're looking to quickly mute it, it's hard to fumble for the controller and nail the side button.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I use a SonyEricsson Bluetooth Headset. Can;t remember the model name, but it's pretty good. Was around £40 from the Vodafone store iirc.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've had a mix of headsets over recent years but I find they all end up with flakey wiring in the headset causing them to fail. Gone towards cheap n cheerful and currently have Sennheiser PC31 but I find the sound volume is too low... mic works ok though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Jup - if they bust on you it's probably down to how you handle them.

If the cable between the headset and the exterior becomes tight you're going to cause them to break a lot faster. You have to be careful how you have them normally and when you take them off/put them on that you don't stress the wiring. ( I had the same problem on my first few headsets and it was me that was the problem - not the headsets ).

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i use cheap and cheerful ones
where my PC is, the headset wire keeps losing an argument with the chair wheels, and they are no respecter of price, go through half a dozen a year :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jup - if they bust on you it's probably down to how you handle them.

If the cable between the headset and the exterior becomes tight you're going to cause them to break a lot faster. You have to be careful how you have them normally and when you take them off/put them on that you don't stress the wiring. ( I had the same problem on my first few headsets and it was me that was the problem - not the headsets ).

I agree - but I share the machine with 3 others who don't get it :(

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Another fatality user here, for the price it has been perfect adjustable Mic sound and the fact you can remove the Mic does it for me. Also very very comfortable.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I had the Fatality ones but I thought they were too small, never really liked them.

Currently I use some Plantronics ones which are much more comfy and sound at least as good.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Have another testimony for Plantronics. My first set died due to a little too much abuse pulling on cords, the second one is going strong. I find them very comfy (nice big cushion things on 'full ear' headphones. The mic could maybe be a little more sensitive, although maybe that's just me wanting to be able to take a drink whilst it's in place, so it's not quite as close as it could be.

TeamSpeak vs Ventrilo ? Well I have cloth ears or something... I actually like the old Roger Wilco when everyone said TS had better sound quality, and I couldn't tell the difference. Likewise I can't tell any difference between TS and Ventrilo. I prefer the TS UI and features last I used either. M$ GameVoice was just DIRE, including using stupid callback networking (this was around 2002 :p ) which meant it wouldn't play nicely with NAT/firewalls.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i use cheap and cheerful ones
where my PC is, the headset wire keeps losing an argument with the chair wheels, and they are no respecter of price, go through half a dozen a year :(
Save yourself tons of cash and get a wireless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom