What ever happened to....

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
...the book forum, and for that matter the film forum? I wanted to discuss whether it was worth me finishing the wheel of time series now that I've reached book 7, or if I should burn it and save my eyes from the experience of neckline descriptions, the ever expanding non plot related character list, men not understanding women and women not unerstanding men, obvious filler material and the most annoying aiel and their ridiculous culture.

Now I'm going to have to start a thread

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Well afaik the entertainment forum was squashed down back into General since it seemed that too much topic separation was going on?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Knife of Dreams is ok(ish) people get their comeuppance
imo from 6 to halfway through COT you may as well be asleep. but that's prolly because I've read through all the books three times now o0

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It looks like they were removed because there was is now so little posting action it might as well go on in one forum.

taB

Part of the furniture
...the book forum, and for that matter the film forum? I wanted to discuss whether it was worth me finishing the wheel of time series now that I've reached book 7, or if I should burn it and save my eyes from the experience of neckline descriptions, the ever expanding non plot related character list, men not understanding women and women not unerstanding men, obvious filler material and the most annoying aiel and their ridiculous culture.

Now I'm going to have to start a thread

Dave - I gave up after (or during) seven, those books drag sooo much. Too many better books out there to not waste time with these.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
bleh :(

Unfortunately due to RJ getting a terminal disease he's trying to rush the series a bit. It all goes a bit luke skywalker, but its worth reading.

Next book is meant to be the last.

00dave

does anybody have any recomedations for alternatives that aren't overdescriptive. If it has ninjas fighting dragons that would good too :ninja: :flame:

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
hmm. song of ice and fire?

Pretty darn new here, so lo o/ (Used to mooch on quakenet and #barrysworld/freddyshouse though :x)

George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is awesome - well recommended read, and it looks like he's managing to succeed where RJ hasn't and the series won't turn into a 12-book Zzzz-fest.

The first six or seven of WoT are awesome.. its just a shame he kinda loses it in terms of plot development and never gives up on the women-being-excessively-stupid-and-irritating motif..

I've read up to 11, though to be honest not a lot happens - I think if someone went through books 7/8 - 11 and edited out probably half of each book (e.g. All Egwene/Elaine's descriptions of where people are sitting and what deep significance this has or how much Elaine/Egwene is enjoying her bath), then it'd be an absolutely amazing series.

It also irritates me how book 11 is called Knife of Dreams, yet there is, as far as I can remember, no mention or involvement of a Knife of Dreams in it whatsoever.. unless perhaps it was mentioned four books back as his plot clues often are =/ (e.g. One sentence in book 6 or something referring to something that happens in book 8... I mean, wtf?!)

Next book is supposedly the last though.. he says he'll finish WoT no matter how darn long the book has to be.. last time I checked he was on the mend, so it may be pretty darn long.. but hopefully this will be a good thing :S

But, erm, yes, read a Song of Ice and Fire - best fantasy series I've read, his writing is amazing.. :)

Anyone else know any good writers worth reading? :x

P.s. Sorry for RJ diarrhoea..

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
song of ice and fire is definitely my favourite fantasy type series, even more enjoyable than lord of the rings i think. i read the first few WoT's but seeing how many there were put me off, and from what I have heard it tends to drag on.

Will

/bin/su
David Farland's Runelords series is pretty good for generic fantasy wank. Four books in the series so far.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
See I enjoyed the long winded writing style, it's a shame he is rushing things.

It's worth sticking with the books, a lot more action and less dress descriptions.

Trebz

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm quite partial to the Robin Hobb triologies, start with the Farseer trilogies, then its LiveShip Traders (same world, diff area, has links to farseer), then Tawny Man (continuation of farseer). Very good set of books imo.

I'm currently going through Song of Ice & Fire and I'd have to agree, its a superb read. Just finished the 2nd book and can't wait to dive into the next.

Robert Jordan was probably my favourite author, but as with everyone else, the last few books have just been so sloooooow. I don't mind excessive descriptions of things, thats his style, but one of the books, I forget the name, no-one actually moved from their starting location in the entire book, shocking!!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
JV Jone's Sword of Shadows series is pretty damn good if you haven't read it yet.

Though Steven Eriksons Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy being written at the moment, starts with Gardens of the Moon...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm quite partial to the Robin Hobb triologies, start with the Farseer trilogies

I have this. Dave, if you're up for it, pm me your address and I'll send them to you. Condition is used but not soiled ;)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
are there any good epic type series based in ancient rome? i looked in waterstones today and couldn't see anything. they didn't have american psycho either. fucking potter everywhere!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
JV Jone's Sword of Shadows series is pretty damn good if you haven't read it yet.

Though Steven Eriksons Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy being written at the moment, starts with Gardens of the Moon...
I've read Gardens of the Moon and loved it, but never got round to hunting down the next ones... nice reminder ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
are there any good epic type series based in ancient rome? i looked in waterstones today and couldn't see anything. they didn't have american psycho either. fucking potter everywhere!

There´s a few; try Thomas Harlan's Oath of Empire series:
Harlan, Thomas. The Oath of Empire.
Harlan, Thomas. The Storm of Heaven.
Harlan, Thomas. The Gate of Fire.
Harlan, Thomas. The Shadow of Ararat.
Harlan, Thomas. The Dark Lord.

Or, John Maddox Roberts´ Hannibal's Children series (which is more alt history tbh):

Roberts, John Maddox. Hannibal's Children Series.
Roberts, John Maddox. The Seven Hills.
Roberts, John Maddox. Hannibal's Children.

Then there's Harry Turtledove's Videssos Cycle (Lost Legion) books. That do ya?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Right I have now oredered the first three Malazan books and the Farseer trilogy. Just hope I don't finish them before something else good comes along.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Well after the farseer trilogy, you can read the Liveship traders trilogy by Robin hobb which is also very good (based in the same world as the farseer) then after that you can finish the books off by reading the Tawy man trilogy.

00dave

I have this. Dave, if you're up for it, pm me your address and I'll send them to you. Condition is used but not soiled ;)

Hmm potential stalking :eek6:

I know it's not fantasy but has anybody else here read the resident evil books by S.D Perry? Fantastic writing style if you don't like long descriptive books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom