What class do you play and what are your thoughts about it?

ileks

Part of the furniture
I have a level 33 sniper. He is ok in PvE but the class is pretty flawed in PvP.

The cover mechanic is dreadful.I don't really know what they were thinking with it. Damage can be good if the enemy doesn't notice you.

I also don't see how I could ever beat another caster who knows how to LoS me tbh. My big damage ability takes 3 seconds to cast after getting into cover.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Dunno, I struggle to kill anyone in PVP on my assassin.. Khem Val is a loser too :D

At 50 they're awesome. As a healer, duoing with a melee is a lot of fun.

PT, Jugg, Marauder and Assassin are all great for me to pocket-heal for.

Mercenary, Sniper, Operative not so much :p

Assassin works well as full darkness (tanking) I find personally.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
lol ! ive gone the complete opposite, My sorc is good for heals and can solo most quests if I kept the companion amour high. But dps in pvp was very lacking for me but i only got to lvl40, I re-rolled and got a sith assasin to lvl34 so far having much more fun, it may be due to the fact i had a ns,sb,inf,2 scouts on daoc and a ranger/hunter on rift :p

The classes in SWTOR are wierd and (perhaps) wonderful. It turns out that the REAL assassin class is the Operative with a melee specline. I haven't tried it yet, I want to have a purpose when it comes to grouping, but I'm very tempted by that melee line. Which is why my operative remains unspecced at around 22, which in turn goes to show how powerful the base abilities are.

I still haven't PvP'd much, just a few battlegrounds here and there. I like the RANGE, survivability and damage of the Bounty Hunter/Trooper.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, operative dps is...how to put it...fun as balls in a hookers mouth.

What i've noticed though is that every class in swtor is like dr .pepper; you either like it or not. There doesn't seem to be a grayzone in there.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Fell out of love with the playstyle of the gunslinger, plus level 50 PvP is horrid without the armour pieces. Very much enjoying the Guardian and the Shadow can actually kill things in PvP. Tis amazing!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
, I rolled a sith assasin at lvl11 I was getting 2k and 3k crits :p

No you didn't. :)

You can't get that high crit multiplier at level 11 outside warzones.

You can twink yourself all you want, but at level 11 you are NOT getting 2 - 3k crits all on your own. :)

Because all you have to work with is 1 talent point and shit gear. :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Trooper, kicks ass in PvP with but a few clever people (a few agents and a couple of marauders) can completely destroy me using quick stuns, interrupts and mini-stealths. I fear level 50 will be full of these people - 48 atm.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Fell out of love with the playstyle of the gunslinger, plus level 50 PvP is horrid without the armour pieces. Very much enjoying the Guardian and the Shadow can actually kill things in PvP. Tis amazing!

Having a tough time in WZ now with my newly L50 Gunslinger, only 2 centurion pieces so far. Getting absolutely ripped apart by Siths. Have mid 20's Guardian, Vanguard and Scoundrel, thinking I might level the Guardian up quickly PVP all the way, just do main story quests and space missions.

Will keep PvP'in the Gunslinger slowly to gear up but really starting to hate this char in PvP.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Update: Trooper: DPS Commando.

I am finding that there are two sorts of enemy players: Those who know what you do and how you do it, and those who do not. The latter are not really a problem as they can be taken down. The former are a real nightmare because the commando hasn't got enough tricks. He does good damage but lacks tools. In exchange for heavy armour you get;
1) No run speed buff,
2) No interrupt,
3) No stealth,
4) Less damage than a sorcerer (the other RDPS).

If you come across DPS Commando or Bounty Hunter Mercenary, watch for their channeled powers. Interrupt with timed lockout is lethal to this class. Also, knockback, stun, mezz and insta-stealth are all good ways to beat the channel.

Simply put, I recommend people to stay away from DPS Commando.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Really enjoying my shield spec Powertech.
PvE it is a close range tank, not ranged. My best abilities are close range, but I do have two long range taunts, a grapple, jetpack, and plenty of flexibility.

PvP my shield is useless (does not protect against force or tech abilities), but I simply switch to my DPS champion outfit, and with a couple of stacked damage cooldowns I can take on any class. Damage is obviously not as high as a purebred DPS class, but I really appreciate having guard to protect others, taunt to reduce enemies' damage, and several defence cooldown abilities. I've also got two stuns, my jetpack (also a stun) on a really short cooldown, and grapple (45secs), so I am a dogged pursuer, and a really annoying class to face.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

I am finding that there are two sorts of enemy players: Those who know what you do and how you do it, and those who do not. The latter are not really a problem as they can be taken down. The former are a real nightmare because the commando hasn't got enough tricks. He does good damage but lacks tools. In exchange for heavy armour you get;
1) No run speed buff,
2) No interrupt,
3) No stealth,

If you come across DPS Commando or Bounty Hunter Mercenary, watch for their channeled powers. Interrupt with timed lockout is lethal to this class. Also, knockback, stun, mezz and insta-stealth are all good ways to beat the channel.

commando/vanguard is a photocopy of merc/powertech

i have a commando, at lvl 19, and i frequently top the DPS for republic, and come in top 3 . its all in the AOEs. mortar volley, the gt burst fire, etc, can really ruin peoples day. also, the pbaoe knockback is extremely good

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bounty Hunter. Easy PvE with Mako.

Sith Marauder. Struggling a bit against some packs, really miss having a healing companion.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Bounty Hunter. Easy PvE with Mako.

Sith Marauder. Struggling a bit against some packs, really miss having a healing companion.

I absolutely despise my Marauder, i jump on a bunch of enemies, vette starts unloading, she gets aggro and i'm left standing there 30 meters away looking like a retard... :(

I ended up having to disable all but 1 attack on her to keep her from chain suiciding...

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I absolutely despise my Marauder, i jump on a bunch of enemies, vette starts unloading, she gets aggro and i'm left standing there 30 meters away looking like a retard... :(

I ended up having to disable all but 1 attack on her to keep her from chain suiciding...

I hated Vette, she frustrated me. Not sure what level you are but it does get better. Marauders feel weak until they're higher, I felt it was a lot stronger when I hit 35+

Once you get Quinn (healer) on Balmora, he is all you use pretty much (sometimes use Jaesa for Double DPS to rush through trash). Keep him geared, and I had no problem with elites.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm only level 12 on my marauder so probably jumping the gun a tad but i don't quite feel like suffering for xx levels to get to where the fun starts.. :)

Guess i'm to used to my guardian to, i got a mdps companion at level 13 so wasn't that frustrating to lose aggro...

Soazak

Part of the furniture
You get the healer at around 16, that makes soloing a lot easier, but they are a fairly weak class until higher level anyway. End game they're awesome however :)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
My guardian hit 50 on Saturday and I finished the class quest on Sunday. Superb storyline and the last fight was intense. Died about 15 times, complained to BioWare, tried multiple ways to bug the fight even and auto complete it ... But eventually managed to find a way to accomplish it.

Felt like a real accomplishment and the romantic companions quest afterwards hinted very strongly at a story that will continue to unfold.

Feeling very underpowered in level 50 PvP and will have to see how long the grind appeals, but with 6 other storylines to try I can indulge in my alting passion for now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You are feeling underpowered because it's sadly designed that way. Gear, gear, gear. End game pvp is a car crash and even just a month or so behind the initial starters it is close to impossible to have fun.

Going up against someone with nearly twice as much HP, doing twice as much damage to you as you are doing to him gets old very quickly.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Going up against someone with nearly twice as much HP, doing twice as much damage to you as you are doing to him gets old very quickly.

Oh I know, one of the reasons my gunslinger got old fast - that and the cover mechanic. The changes to the loot system are promising though, and my guild are promising to get their act together with hard modes. With my guardian being the only level 50 tank they've currently got things could improve.

I hope anyway. And if not there are more stories to enjoy :)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
You can get full centurion very fast though, a newly dinged guild mate did it in a day and a half. And to be honest from there the Champion/Battlemaster isn't that much better (a lot of BM items are actually worse than their Champ equiv). But Raven is right, it's all about the gear.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

1) No run speed buff,
2) No interrupt,
3) No stealth,

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but i can assure you that commando/merc DPS are far from subpar to sage/sorc DPS.

And if you lose because your channels gets interrupted then maybe it's time you slotted your instas back into the quickbars? :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but i can assure you that commando/merc DPS are far from subpar to sage/sorc DPS.

And if you lose because your channels gets interrupted then maybe it's time you slotted your instas back into the quickbars? :)

Play one and see. Or take my advice and don't.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I do play one, that's my point. :)

Granted i'm cheesing it with grav shot because the other dps tree suck in pvp, for me anyway.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I thought Merc was ok in pvp. Only because people were too stupid to interrupt.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I thought Merc was ok in pvp. Only because people were too stupid to interrupt.
interrupts aren't that effective against mercs/commandos. They have way to many high damage instas.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
interrupts aren't that effective against mercs/commandos. They have way to many high damage instas.

You have to interrupt on the first 3 channeled powers, then there's 2 high damage instas that give bonus damage when those 3 are done.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I could be wrong but as far as i know no channeled power grants any bonus damage. Only grav shot/tracer missile does that.

Or are you talking about the other DPS tree? Because that one i have very little experience with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom