what causes are responsible for the ctds ?

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
still dont get why people think that 2 gig ram is enough these days, its too little! get more, it costs nothing

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
have only had one CTD, one freeze and one weird graphics bug where the artifacts/objects in scenarios pillars of light disappeared since the CE headstart began

one recommended thing for connection problems is to check is that "checksum offload" setting for your network card in Device Manager which should be turned off as this used to cause disconnections in other MMORPGs including DAoC and WoW

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
still dont get why people think that 2 gig ram is enough these days, its too little! get more, it costs nothing

at peak memory use, i still have 300+ MB of free ram. i don`t want to spend more money on rams that my next machine won`t accept anyway. in a few months i`ll upgrade my machine to an amd 9950 (or better if amd has a faster cpu out by then). in closed beta on 1 GB of ram i had situations where i had like like ONE MB of free ram.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
one recommended thing for connection problems is to check is that "checksum offload" setting for your network card in Device Manager which should be turned off as this used to cause disconnections in other MMORPGs including DAoC and WoW

i tried 2 different network cards (on board ali/uli and pci realtek), neither of the two has an option to change checksum offload.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I had a few CTDs when zoning so I uninstalled it and re-installed from the DVD don't get any now.

My ram is the bottleneck on my system, only got 2 gig. Just ordered 8 gig of decent ram so that will sort that problem out

aika

Can't get enough of FH
didnt have any CTDs till now, however after todays morning patch, I get a blackscreen randomly - it always happens in Tor Anroc scenario, as if my videocard just dies and I need to reboot my PC , cause it doesnt respond to any commands

I have a 8800GT with the latest nvidia drivers, might be a good idea to revert back to old drivers?

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
i tried 2 different network cards (on board ali/uli and pci realtek), neither of the two has an option to change checksum offload.

some have it listed as "hardware checksum" iirc, i'm sure my onboard realtek nic had something along those lines - will check tonight.

what settings can you change in the advanced tab for the NICs?

Fizzlebutt

Fledgling Freddie
Boy is this harsh on the memory... i have had 4 ctds today alone. Mainly when around talabecland. By that tower where queen something something is. Im aware its a bit of a memory hog and thus ill have to get some more come payday. But still, is there no way for mythic to fix the memory issue? Think they should definitely look into that some more.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
some have it listed as "hardware checksum" iirc, i'm sure my onboard realtek nic had something along those lines - will check tonight.

what settings can you change in the advanced tab for the NICs?

-link speed/duplex mode (auto mode/10 full mode/10 half mode/100 full mode/100 half mode) set to `auto mode`
-network adress (xxx / not present) set to `not present`
-receive buffer size (8k/16k/32k/64k) set to `64k`

all factory defaults tbh.

win xp autodetected and installed that nic without me having to do anything. the ali/uli onboard nic needed drivers.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm seems a bit limited in options. I suspect installing Realktek's own drivers for that would probably give you more to choose from.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
If that is the case you should get an error screen, blue screen of death or at least an entry in your event log that the application did something naughty and had to shut down.
The times when I've had (the couple I've had) CTDs the game just vanished, and no error message and no event log in my event viewer.

Erm, no.

BSOD is something different, if you're lucky enough you'll get a message from the OS that it had to terminate the application.

Most systems should have 2 GB real RAM and swap files, so even with 1.6 GB usage the game should not quit due to lack of memory, beside of it you'll get a message from the OS too.

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Glad to see i'm not the only one with this problem.

Same thing here. I can play for a a few hours without any DC, and today for example i got it 10 times in about 2 hours gameplay (no errors showing before you leave either). Playing on Azgal & 8P...and got it on both servers. No real 'reason" i can think of atm.

It's a brand new computer on Vista64, and 2 patches ago i never got a DC at all, so i'm guessing it is not my computer, but rather the connection to the server or servers itself.

Good thing they changed the que-code or otherwise it would be impossible to play. But when you grouped for a scenario it's very frustrating to see someone dc and all groupmembers need to sing up again to join together.

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
For me its totally different, I used to get CTDs often. but after todays patch I have played for 12 hours straight, no CTDs at all.

or memory problems and I do only have 2gb. Ofc I dont run the memory eater Vista.

Valdur

Fledgling Freddie
Same here,I 'm having CTDs every 2 hours and it happens anywhere in the game world.

Can anyone confirm if installing from the disc really solves the problem?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Yesterday I had the game vanish after some hours of play when I was harvesting a seed - can't find any pattern in them, but I'm sure one is hidden within some code snippet.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Erm, no.

BSOD is something different, if you're lucky enough you'll get a message from the OS that it had to terminate the application.

Most systems should have 2 GB real RAM and swap files, so even with 1.6 GB usage the game should not quit due to lack of memory, beside of it you'll get a message from the OS too.

Blue Screens are often sparked by memory issues. I've seen more then my share of BSoDs when some application tried to read/write memory which it couldn't/shouldn't.
My point was that usually Windows will show you something (blue screen, error message box or event log) when the application crashes due to pointer issues or memory writing/reading issues.

And didn't say it was due to it using 1.6GB which cause it to crash (got 4 GB as well, so 1.6 will not land me near full usage anyway), but used it as to point to a memory leak in the game, and that leak could lead to issues within the application itself causing a fatality, especially when considering how diverse the situations are for the game to vanish.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
bah said mine hadn't CTD'd in ages and it's done it twice today - once at the start of scenario, second when my shaman hit rank 11 in scenario

thergador

Fledgling Freddie

thats simple to answer they use 32bit os and they have dual channel memory and get 1.5gb sticks is not easy so they have two choices use 2gb dual channel or 3gb single channel or get 4gb and not have it addressed correctly

and 2x1gb + 2x512mb is ineffective memory use

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
the curse client has caused me to totally freeze since about last week, i kill it and im back to 100% stable

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Blue Screens are often sparked by memory issues. I've seen more then my share of BSoDs when some application tried to read/write memory which it couldn't/shouldn't.
My point was that usually Windows will show you something (blue screen, error message box or event log) when the application crashes due to pointer issues or memory writing/reading issues.

Blue Screen of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BSOD can be defect memory, or broken drivers, or kernel-mode apps.

Segmentation fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The window shows up usually - usually.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Had my first CTD (game just disappeared, no error message etc) today, after 14 days of playing daily. Ive had the game disappear when ive been tabbed out for more than 5 min or so before, but never when playing. I had just dinged rank 20 and had been playing for maybe 2 hours. Game was running fine up until the crash. Only other issue ive had is that my mouse sometimes stops working in WAR (sometimes it clears itself after a few moments, otherwise i have to unplug and replug it).

Running Vista home premium 64bit with 4gig ram, 8800GT 512mb, C2D E8400 3.0ghz.

Naybuff

Fledgling Freddie
mouse freeze fix

Only other issue ive had is that my mouse sometimes stops working in WAR (sometimes it clears itself after a few moments, otherwise i have to unplug and replug it).

i had this .. and fixed it by buying a new mouse now no mouse freeze or anything..

100% it's your mouse:twak:

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

And you know this because you've programmed Warhammer's mouse input support by yourself?

My mouse usually only f***s up when the surface below it is not clean enough but I've encountered the problem you've described twice so far.

Between a mouse and a game using it, there is more.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Only other issue ive had is that my mouse sometimes stops working in WAR (sometimes it clears itself after a few moments, otherwise i have to unplug and replug it).

i had this .. and fixed it by buying a new mouse now no mouse freeze or anything..

Doesnt happen in any other game, program, or when browsing in the OS etc. So no.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
tonight for the first time during/after a ctd I got the crash in the event viewer. means shit all to me like. Just says application error, program had a fault.

sloand

Fledgling Freddie
Before the patch i never crashed, maybe one or two a week. Since the patch i crash every 5-10 minutes. cant even run through a scenario before crashing

Tonight i've crashed 8 times, my fist is slowly clenching ready to smash my monitor if i cant fix it soon.

Jalanteriel

Regular Freddie
I've noticed that when I CTD, several members in the same warband does that same. So it might actually be server based at times. This is only during peak hours though in open pvp.

Apart from that I rarely CTD, and if I do it's usually right after some really bad stuttering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom