what causes are responsible for the ctds ?

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
after having changed almost every single piece of hardware, setting and OS on my machine, i`m more and more asking myself what is actually causing the ctds.

seems like there might be multiple things causing them.

could it be just disconnects, caused by excesive package loss ? as warhammer gives absolutely no feedback it is very hard to try and find what is going wrong. in daoc you had the 3 icons that told you the state of your lag, frame rate and connection. war gives zero feedback.

it could be that i just lose connection every once in a while and then end up thrown to my desktop, could be something in my computer goes wrong. i don`t know.

it would be nice to get some sort of error code or description (lost connection with server/ graphic error / out of memory error / ...) instead of just been thrown out of the game tbh.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I agree, I at least would like to know if it's the game's fault or my computer's fault.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
A popular theory is memory leak.

while i agree the game probably suffers from some memory leaks, it wouldn`t explain why some people are affected by it and some people are not.

if i look back at my taskmanager log of memory used, i see i never went under 300k of free ram memory. the game sometimes eats up to 1.2 -1.3 GB of ram but on xp with 2 GB ram it shouldn`t cause failure with at worst 300kb free ram left.

memory leaks are a problem, but i don`t know how it can relate to ctds.

Llendil

Loyal Freddie
Muy, what operating system are you running? For once Vista is actually allowing behaving for me and I've seen no CTDs yet - are you using this or XP or 2000? Be interesting to see which OS suffers more.

Bleh, re-read, you're on XP :)

Anyone else had problems on anything other than XP?

- English -

Resident Freddy
vista 64bt 4gig ram 8800gts 640mb here never had a crash / problem ;]

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
2 gig gave me probs before, added 1 gig and evrything cleared up
cept for the odd crash in altdorf

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
CTD once a day on XP and crash(no pic) when alt + tabing in some zones, my brother has Vista 64 and has similar issues.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
after having changed almost every single piece of hardware, setting and OS on my machine, i`m more and more asking myself what is actually causing the ctds.

seems like there might be multiple things causing them.

could it be just disconnects, caused by excesive package loss ? as warhammer gives absolutely no feedback it is very hard to try and find what is going wrong. in daoc you had the 3 icons that told you the state of your lag, frame rate and connection. war gives zero feedback.

it could be that i just lose connection every once in a while and then end up thrown to my desktop, could be something in my computer goes wrong. i don`t know.

it would be nice to get some sort of error code or description (lost connection with server/ graphic error / out of memory error / ...) instead of just been thrown out of the game tbh.

Those CTDs you described are most likely caused by bad pointer arithmetic (programmer's error in the application), the OS has to terminate the application then because it tries to access memory it doesn't have rights to (e.g. once allocated but in the mean time freed memory with a pointer to it that hasn't been reset).

See Segmentation fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for further info.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
i have had only one CTD since the headstart and only 2 CTD's in total since the open beta.

i dont think its the memory leak i only have 1.5gb of memory although there is a memory leak or something causing a fps loss over time

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Those CTDs you described are most likely caused by bad pointer arithmetic (programmer's error in the application), the OS has to terminate the application then because it tries to access memory it doesn't have rights to (e.g. once allocated but in the mean time freed memory with a pointer to it that hasn't been reset).

See Segmentation fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for further info.

If that is the case you should get an error screen, blue screen of death or at least an entry in your event log that the application did something naughty and had to shut down.
The times when I've had (the couple I've had) CTDs the game just vanished, and no error message and no event log in my event viewer.

I doubt it is memory pointer issue, but it does seem it is a client issue, otherwise it wouldn't vanish like that. A memory leak exists, that much is clear (game takes resources and doesn't release them until you quit), and it is a usual suspect. I notice when I start the game it goes on about 1-1.1 GB and then it grows steadily over an evening to 1.6+ GB used.
The question of what triggers the CTDs (if it is the memory leak) is however impossible to debug when the CTDs are not consistent and does not provide error messages. And the crash happens in a way that I doubt the client is doing any logging and feedback to GOA/Mythic on the issue.
Well - impossible lest somebody starts running debug traces etc, but I do enough of that at work :D

Sintoxis

Fledgling Freddie
I've been able to play for 8 hours straight - not a single CTD. Then the following day I'll get 4 CTDs in the space of an hour (the vanishing type where the game just closes instantly with no error message whatsoever). After that, another 8 hours of play without any issues.

Go figure...

(running XP w/ 4GB RAM, core2duo 3GHz (not overclocked) and dual 8800GTs).

Sanzor

Fledgling Freddie
It's a bit different when CTD happens here, but it's almost safe to say it happens EVERY time when I fly to the capital city from any zone. After a little while when running around in the city, it will crash.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
I've never had a singel crash to desktop

vista 64
core2duo 3ghz
6 gig ram
8800GTS

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
I've only had one so far during an alt-tab, only got some weird prob with memoryleaks after a couple of hours playing that results in stuttering.

XP pro SP2
C2D E8400
4G RAM
8800GTS 512 (G92core) 175.16 drivers.

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
So far i've not had any CTD although i have noticed the memory leak after 3 or 4 hours of play gradually slowing the game down , even sooner if i zone a lot .

Running on XP sp3 . PentD 3.4ghz , 4gb Memory , 9600GT.

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
To all you with Win XP and 2+gb ram, you do know that XP cant handle any more than 2gb right? so having 3-4gb helps you nothing.

I run Win XP SP3 2gb ram, 9600GT

I have the Odd CTD once in a while, but as other stated its not consistant.
I havent actually had any for 2 days, then I can get 3-4 in ½ hour.

No error messages of any kind.

I did see in the beginning it often happened when I tried to travel between cities.

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
Muy, what operating system are you running? For once Vista is actually allowing behaving for me and I've seen no CTDs yet - are you using this or XP or 2000? Be interesting to see which OS suffers more.

Bleh, re-read, you're on XP :)

Anyone else had problems on anything other than XP?

Both my son and I are on xp and we both get ctd

For me I get the CTD most with one particular charcter mainly and usually in a highly populated zone. If I run a different alt on the same server - and yes sometimes in the same zone - I get less ctd.

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
Am on vista 64bit with 4gb ram and a 9800gx2 - i ctd in Altdorf all the time, but not anywhere else in the game. The war room areas in altdorf seem fine, but other places are terrible - ctd every 2 mins or so... especially around the market area.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
To all you with Win XP and 2+gb ram, you do know that XP cant handle any more than 2gb right? so having 3-4gb helps you nothing.

I run Win XP SP3 2gb ram, 9600GT

I have the Odd CTD once in a while, but as other stated its not consistant.
I havent actually had any for 2 days, then I can get 3-4 in ½ hour.

No error messages of any kind.

I did see in the beginning it often happened when I tried to travel between cities.

Ram costs almost nothing so why does it really matter? :m00:

pikeh

Resident Freddy

Actually, IIRC, XP can take up to 3.2gig ram, but is often easier to buy the stuff in 2gig sticks. Like before mentioned, Ram costs jack shit nowadays, theres not really any reason (if you buy a new computer) to go back to XP.

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
That's as false as anything can be.
First, the limit is at 3.12gb.

Second:
It's not really an issued tied directly to the XP operating system, but rather what bit version they are (32 vs. 64 bit). While 32 bit versions can never utilize more than 3.12 gb, that's still more than 2 gb; more than 50% increase. That's not too bad for something as cheap as ram.

64 bit versions (xp/vista regardless) can all handle at least 4 gb, and their limit is set to what edition it is (Pro/Home/whatever).

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
That's as false as anything can be.
First, the limit is at 3.12gb.

Second:
It's not really an issued tied directly to the XP operating system, but rather what bit version they are (32 vs. 64 bit). While 32 bit versions can never utilize more than 3.12 gb, that's still more than 2 gb; more than 50% increase. That's not too bad for something as cheap as ram.

64 bit versions (xp/vista regardless) can all handle at least 4 gb, and their limit is set to what edition it is (Pro/Home/whatever).

Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

Quote:
Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is 4 GB.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file.

I never stated it was the reason for the CTDs, was merely information to the people with XP, if they have 4gb ram anyway they would benefit greatly if they ran Windows Vista instead.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
yes, a process is limited to 2gig

but you can still use 4gig minus what you have on your gfx card

which makes it so you actually have 2 gig to spare to the game insted of it hogging the space together with whats needed to run all other applications for windows

get more ram people, stop beeing cheap bastards, it costs hardly anything and will only improve things for you

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
yes, a process is limited to 2gig

but you can still use 4gig minus what you have on your gfx card

which makes it so you actually have 2 gig to spare to the game insted of it hogging the space together with whats needed to run all other applications for windows

get more ram people, stop beeing cheap bastards, it costs hardly anything and will only improve things for you

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

Quote:
Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is 4 GB.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file.

I never stated it was the reason for the CTDs, was merely information to the people with XP, if they have 4gb ram anyway they would benefit greatly if they ran Windows Vista instead.

You said:
you do know that XP cant handle any more than 2gb right?
Which is false.

if they have 4gb ram anyway they would benefit greatly if they ran Windows Vista instead.
Or XP 64 bit.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Vista 64 bit Ultimate
4 gig RAM
ATI 3870x2
2 x 150gb Raptors RAID 0

I do have CTD, only 6 since the open beta started though. I was having as many server disconnections in Warcraft tbh.

sareth

Fledgling Freddie
I get them on average once every few hours. i have vista32 with 4gb mem duel core processor.i get crashes the most when...

1 flying from a flight master to any zone.
2 at the end of using the book of binding (ive now started to walk alot more for fear of this and my charcter is looking meaner and fitter for it)
3 crashes in middle or at end of pqs
4 walking around the inevitable city

Ironically ive never had a ctd during rvr scenarios.
The thing that annoys me most is if i crash out i lose my scenario queues and any contributary progress made in any pqs. Hope they at least fix it so if u log back in within a few minutes that your position in scenario queue is kept as sometimes i can wait for an hour to get in one.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
my machine is :

Amd sempron 3000 cpu
Asrock k8 combo-Z motherboard
Asus ATI 3650 vid card with 512 MB ram (started in closed beta with an ATI 9600 pro with 128 MB) (running 8.452 asus drivers and not 8.9 ATI drivers as ATI install package just says `no supported hardware`)
2 GB of ram (started closed beta with 1 GB and upgraded it to 2 GB after 2 days)
AC 97 onboard sound
Antec 650 W psu (i started closed beta with a 400 W psu but i had to upgrade the PSU too after upgrading the vid card)
Realtek 8139 network card (started closed beta with the motherboard onboard uli/ali network hardware but switched that too, just to be sure)
XP (32) SP3 (started closed beta with win 2000, but had to upgrade when i upgraded my vid card because ATI doesn`t make drivers anymore for w2k)

i notice that my sound sometimes stutters or goes into `repeat` mode for a second when things get busy and that some CTD`s occur when that happens, but switching of sound completely doesn`t fix the ctds.

NOTHING of these changes i made to my system seemed to fix the ctds. so i am really starting to wonder what is causing the ctds.

could they be just disconnections ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom