What car?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Oh I see, so people can use the same logic cos they saw an Alfa at the side of the road once, but I'm not allowed to when I see a broken Type-R? Hmmmm.

Anyway, Jap cars are shit. Soulless, tedious, blandly styled domestic appliances built for people who don't give a shit about their car, just want to get from A to B. Out of all the boxes to come out of Japan, the only one I can think I'd like is an NSX.

Put it this way, my little Fiat has hardly been a paragon of reliability. I've had a clutch, an ignition coil and a lamba probe fail on me, it failed its MOT cos of two broken bits of suspension, and currently has a sporadic overheating problem. However it has an absolute firecracker of a 1.2 litre engine (which sounds fucking superb as its just about to hit the limiter) and deeply amusing handling, which means every journey brings a huge grin. I wouldn't trade it for anything at the moment (except perhaps a newer Punto) in spite of all the problems. In fact, I'm having ideas about turning it into a track slag with some choice upgrades. I'm thinking I could spend less than a grand on upgrades and eat Golf GTi's for breakfast.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Soulless, tedious, blandly styled domestic appliances built for people who don't give a shit about their car, just want to get from A to B.

exactly what I want in a car. you can't deny there are people like me in the market Bods. Still, I admit I'd dearly like something with a bit more oohs and aahs, but really -I cba to pay for it, -decent cars are vandalism magnets if you don't have a garage, -I'd rather be worried about getting laid than the amount of money I put in the parking meter

ECA

I am a FH squatter
There won't be a great deal of difference when you reach 25. A good bet, if that's your plan, would be to get something sporty but cheaper to insure now, and build some experience. A lot of insurance companies are scared when people first get Elises/Exiges with no experience of sports cars as if you're going to stack, you're very likely to do so in the first year. Get over to SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club for Lotus information.

<-- Elise owner for almost 5 years.

How do you people find lotus for reliability these days btw? ie, will I need to learn basic mechanics? :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
decent cars are vandalism magnets if you don't have a garage

Parked my Chimaera on the street every day, I had one person spit on it, that was it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can pick up a nice alfa for 3-4 grand. My mate has a lovely one, he got lucky though, had it for a year and not broken down once. Being a T-spark it absolutely drinks petrol though.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My problem with the car world is that as soon as someone mentions "Japanese" they automatically assume that it's completely bullet proof and invincible in every respect, and it's just complete myth.

It's a Clarksonism in my opinion, which becomes one mans opinion, which then becomes urban myth which then becomes gospel around the car forums. Granted, I recognise that in the JD power survey Japanese cars are topping the lists, but just because Lexus IS came 1st and the Audi A3 came 14th doesn't automatically make Jap perfect and German rubbish (for example). My Subaru owning friend is always "rah rah Jap reliability" without realising the Impreza and the Legacy didn't even make it in the top 50 with the Rover 75 making it within the top 30.

Lies? Damn Lies? and statistics? (and surveys...)?

Or perpetrated mythical bollocks?

When I told said friend that my BMW went for a three year "pre warranty expiration" vehicle check and that they found a slight leak on the power stearing pump hose and that it would be replaced free, he said "German cars are rubbish, hoses leak after three years?! should have got a Jap car mate!".

Everyone turns a blind eye to Honda when problems to arise, doesn't anyone remember? Hand break recalls in this country? Steering problems in the states?

Honda Civic UK - Handbrake Recall: Motoring Discussion forum

2007 HONDA CIVIC Recall

My sister has a Civic and it's been recalled for a headlight issue, and her car also had a coolant failure causing the cylinder head to crack. It needed an engine rebuild and was with Honda for five weeks.

Anyway, I'm not saying Japs cars are unreliable, I think they've made some stonking cars; but I'm offering an alternative opinion in that they're not as Jesus like as everyone believes them to be.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
How do you people find lotus for reliability these days btw? ie, will I need to learn basic mechanics? :p

They're pretty good really, I've had no real issues in my time with mine. The K series Rover engined ones have a bit of a reputation for head gasket failure, but that's not a hugely expensive fix. Presumably if you're after an Exige it will be the later S2 one which will have a Toyota engine anyway. They're very good indeed.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
This is a wierd conversation. Buy the car you like, thats all.

Just because I'm not keen on souless boring mobiles, doenst mean you should be. (And I should know, I had a Mondeo last :) 100% reliable, very economic, boring as arseoles :p )

Mind you, I was at a country show this afternoon, was funny seeing all the cars being towed out of the parking field by tractors. My Jeep just sailed through :)

Ooo by the way, well said Big G, I cant rep your last post but agree anyway :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Parked my Chimaera on the street every day, I had one person spit on it, that was it.

that's because they saw it parked outside everyday and thought it had simply broken down again. There is compassion in this world Tom.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

oh, I agree it's certainly possible in certain places, however I live smack bang in the middle of a city, a cool one where car's aren't allowed in the pedestrian area. I have hordes of drunken idiots parading to and from the pubs/clubs (sometimes I am one of them) through my street 4 days a week. I wouldn't even park my current car there let alone a decent one!

Where I currently park my car is the only free parking lot left in the city. There is no lighting, no cameras and certainly no security. It's down by the river, tucked away from sight. Ideal spot for some lowlife to take a brick to your windows. Currently the chavs here are breaking into cars where they can see navigation or mobile phone holders, ie not the gadgets themselves, on the assumption that the device may be in the glove compartment :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom