What are your opinions on SIM ONLY Contracts?

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
T - Mobile
Pay Monthly Sim Cards - Mobile Phone SIM Cards - T Mobile

O2
Tariffs - O2 pay monthly SIM only tariffs

-

I'm really tempted to buy a phone unlocked or on a network of the above and buying a phone out-right and then use a SIM ONLY contract.

It easily beats the cost of being stuck in a 18 month contract w/ a phone that might be replaced within a couple months (as normal).

Ideally I would be going for something like a £15 a month, with the possibily of a unlimited web bolt on providing the phone I get has HSDPA capabilities as it would be handy to use with my laptop now and then in addition to using the device itself for browsing whilst on the bus.

Anyone could give a few pointers?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This is basically the way networks work in finland.

You pay for the sim, and sim alone, the phone is your own.

We have a couple of "get a sim card, get a phone free" things, but even those are sim related.

It works wonders.

soze

I am a FH squatter
They are a great idea if you already have your own phone or know the phone you want. You gets a much better contract as you are not sussidising the phone, so if the new phone is not important its a good move.

Be careful you look into the web package you buy as some providors do not allow the phone to be used as a modem with your free data. So you would think its free buts it will cost you. And some do not allow stuff like P2P over your free data so you end up paying through the nose £10 for 4-5mb kind of price.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol id never go on a contract i use my phone less than i use my sixpack o matic that i got off QVC, except for occasional texts to tris and a couple of other FHOTters at birthdays, xmas etc the rest of the time its just an alarm clock. i only need to charge it about once a month.

so to answer your question yep get one, i put a tenner on mine last summer and ive still got about £7 left on it lol, its a real money saver!

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks all, I'm probably going to go for an LG Viewty on one of the above providers, I'm upgrading from a Samsung D600 so it's a big upgrade - I've been into a T Mobile store to look at the phone and it's actually about the same size as my D600, only it's a bit thinner but more candy-bar shapped.

I've been told that T-Mobile share their coverage with Virgin, and I'm not usre about O2 - Also Vodaphone and Orange share theirs also but I'm not going back to Orange and Vodaphone I feel plaster their phones with too much branding for me to get on with.

Anyone got a T Mobile or O2 contract and a LG Viewty?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Finally something i can give EXPERTISE on.

I work in a game company, i test phones on the side as i test/do games for them, i've gone through, oh, say a 150 phones or so this year alone :D

If you give me until tomorrow(when i'm at work) i can get you any info and spesific "this is good/cr*p" phone details on any system.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I'm abit like Ez, main problem I have though is that I have to refill it once a year to not lose my number. minimum amount is 100sek, I use like 30 maybe a year. My card currently has close to 800sek on it :/

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Only contracts we have out here and only a choice of two operators (Etisalat/Du). Phones are cheap enough. Just got myself a N95 8Gb for 1900 Dhs or (250 GBP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom