What an afternoon......

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I'm off work for the week, using up some annual leave and enjoying the sunshine (ok I've been doing horrible domestic tasks like IKEA trips for new bedroom furniture, sorting out a new car and dentist appts etc URGH)

Wandered outside to meet the missus home from work this afternoon, to find a chap from down the road sticking a screwdriver in next doors lock trying to get the door open.

Ask him what he's upto, and theyve popped round to pick up Jim (the guy next door) to do the weekly shopping run they do and jim wasnt answering, peering through the window, he's laid out on the kitchen floor not moving. Theyve got a key to his door but cant open it, theyve been trying to get in for 5-10 minutes.

They hadnt rung the police or an ambulance ("wasn't sure we should bother them!", I think they were panicking). I briefly toy with sticking a rock through the window before noticing a tiny upstairs window thats open.

Ladder out and up I go, manage to pull the window open and get my arm in to open the bigger one next to it. I've always been a skinny sod, and still am even at the ripe old age of 39 (gulp) so managed to drag myself through the window and leggit downstairs to get the door open, takes me a minute as the guy from down the road has fucked the lock with his screwdriver, and thinking all the time "smells real bad in here, and there's a LOT of newspapers/mail on the doorstep"...

Get everyone in and he's actually still alive much to my relief, although it smells awful in the kitchen.

Wifey goes into action (she's ace with anything like this, doesnt panic or anything) and rushes in, starts talking to him to see how he is and keep him awake.

He's off in an ambulance now, turns out the poor old sod (who's 80) had been there since Monday afternoon (hence the smell), collapsed in the kitchen and couldnt get up. I dont think he'd have lasted much longer, wife says he kept saying he wanted to go to sleep, he felt it was time to go etc.

feel kinda shitty that we didnt notice, but he's that kind of guy, you only see him rarely, never married, he likes to be self-sufficient.

Just reallly glad someone noticed in time, as he is a nice old chap.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Good job you were around .... fucking with a screw driver? kick the fucking door and buy a new lock ....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well done Shagrat. world needs more people like you, your mrs, and the fellow from down the road tbh.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Sounds familiar, my grandad died today/yesterday and was found today by a neighbour. TV and fire were on, he was apparently just on the floor. Awaiting coroner's report but most likely head trauma from a fall or a heart attack. Been struggling a bit recently, several falls - had a good innings though, 92 I think.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Good man.

Not everybody would do it, but if i saw a person led on the floor sparked out i'd be through the front door like a shot.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Only you could claim someone was sparked out in a thread like this Laddey :p

Kudos though Shag, I could probably find out where you live now though should the Gazette get wind of this!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
As Laddey said, not everyone would help a blud who's been sparked out, by bredrin's innit.

But yeah, good job mate :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks to you, Shagrat, that bloke's alive. Well played.

russell

FH is my second home
I agree with everyone here. Too many people would just walk away. x

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well done Shag.

Commiserations tho Waz. Really sorry to hear that. Hope things go better for you soon :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Sounds familiar, my grandad died today/yesterday and was found today by a neighbour. TV and fire were on, he was apparently just on the floor. Awaiting coroner's report but most likely head trauma from a fall or a heart attack. Been struggling a bit recently, several falls - had a good innings though, 92 I think.

sorry for your loss, Wazz

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Acccidental savior, but props still for doing your civic duty.

Afterall you had to do it, otherwise it'd been an abandonment issue(which atleast in finland is a punishable crime).

Now if you want praise, start checking on the old bugger now and then so they're not laid out for a week ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well done shagrat.

Sorry for your loss Wazzerphuk.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter

sorry for your loss Wazz :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom