Games WH40K Boardgame: Horus Heresy

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
16476horus-heresy-3d-boxlg.jpg

Horus-Heresy-game.png

Anyone played this boardgame, and if so what did you think? I find £75 a bit steep but still quite tempted :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
WH stuff is always expensive tbh ... always tempted by it tho hehe

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
£75!!! The fuck?

I thought £40 was expensive 15 years ago when I was into it :/

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I have it, it's fantastic, but really tough. Not an easy game to pick up though, especially due to the cost. It takes about 2 hours to assemble it the first time!

The new(ish) space hulk was much easier to play.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
How much are the models now days then? I remember being a little kid going into Games Workshop. 3 tiny metal models would be like £10

mooSe_

FH is my second home
How much are the models now days then? I remember being a little kid going into Games Workshop. 3 tiny metal models would be like £10

Those 3 models are probably at least £18 now. The prices increase at a ridiculous rate. What used to be £10 when I was a kid was like £20 when I stopped playing years ago. I imagine it's even higher now.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
they are mostly plastic these days not lead figures now :(

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Metals are slowly being replaced with a resin mix that gets a mini price rise to boot. On average it's about 20quid for a box of plastic troops, bigger stuff is around the 30 quid mark and single figures are generally 10 to 12.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well GW are great if you got problems with their products, my brother bought a dreadnaught, found 1 arm was missing, the sent him the arm and goods for about 50euro.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Used to play WH40K paper & pen RPG many, many moons ago...

Wouldn't shell out 75 nicker for it now tho...but then again, me & my old roleplaying mates have all moved on from those days...

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i used to find it more fun to bastardise the games for my own purposes. for instance.. using the advanced heroquest random dungeon thing... but upon completion using the realm of chaos retinue system to improve abilities and fighting party.

GW stuff always had good ideas but you'd be fucked within 2 years because of their cash cow system of making stuff obsolete

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
the price of the models is not based on how much metal/plastic is used, its to do with the number they sell and how often they have to do runs of its on the casting machines. (with the "its GW, add 20 quid" aswell)

as to Roo; ive not heard anything about it - i was going to get it but got Space Hulk instead :)

citow is also very well review if your just looking for something warhammery ?

Fantasy Flight Games [Chaos in the Old World] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

i have that just havent got round to playin it :(

and lol was just looking at Space Hulk, its "no longer available" and going for upwards of 120 quid :/
spose thats what happens when they fix the run number, i preordered it for 70 quid, and it sold out almost everywhere before release day :(

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
GW are going to be releasing a fantasy naval based limited run 'board game' as well. Pre-orders should be up soon...

Mabs

GW are going to be releasing a fantasy naval based limited run 'board game' as well. Pre-orders should be up soon...

BattleFleet Gothic meets Fantasy ?

intrigued :O

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Chaos in the Old World is great, was playing it at the weekend. Any game where you are the Chaos Gods ruining the Warhammer world is such a great concept!

I've got the Horned Rat (5th Chaos God of the skaven) expansion as well, but not played it yet.

The naval game could be interesting.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
BattleFleet Gothic meets Fantasy ?

intrigued :O

Hmmm....the rumour mill is suggesting more of a wet Heroquest rather than BFG Fantasy / Man O War. Though to be fair there haven't been that many details surfacing.

Mabs

Hmmm....the rumour mill is suggesting more of a wet Heroquest rather than BFG Fantasy / Man O War. Though to be fair there haven't been that many details surfacing.

oooh
and yea Man O War, i knew they had done something like that before, couldnt remember :)

unless its just man o war repackaged like space hulk :D

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I used to play HeroQuest with my mum when i was very small! i'd forgotten about its existence until this thread!

Mabs

slightly necropost :D

Dreadfleet | Games Workshop

Dreadfleet is up for preorder, if your bloody quick

the "its out" email was out this morning, i phoned up to order it at 3.30, and more than 3k of a total run of 10k had gone already....

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
I stopped buying when the made my dad redundant still like to play tho :)

but wouldn't pay 75 pounds for the board game...

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
£75 does seem expensive but it depends on the use you get out of it. I haven't played the new Space Hulk but want to - if it holds the fast paced, will-we-live attitude then it should be good. What they need to do though is make the games more than 2 player to add extra dimension and logevity.

In terms of the miniatures I was into GW in my 'teens and having seen what's out there now, yes there's a lot more plastic & resin but I find the detail quality much higher. Good if you can paint, not so good otherwise. Thank god for ebay now for kids with not as much cash because there's lots to pick up.

Tabletop wise I've been playing Deathwatch recently from FFG and it's been bloody good fun. As you expect with GW-based products it's rules heavy but when you get your head around them it's good. We've had two all-weekenders doing it so far and really enjoyed it. In fact I've started painting each player's character as a model just for giggles. This was my first attempt for the apothecary (medic) in the group for his rl birthday:

Story behind the base is that in our first mission he was a spawny bugger and took down a genestealer in melee combat when the odds were stacked rather against him.

This is the next one for me to do when I get the time:

And I'm not fishing for compliments here....I know it's not great painting; I'm just an enthusiast. The first dude is meant to look battered because the armour is meant to be hundreds if not thousands of years old. I've even made sure I've got the fluff right on armour, shoulder pads etc.

Not looking to the next modeal fater the undercoated one. I have to cut limbs off and stick weapons on etc. My fault for playing a tactical marine with a heavy bolter!

Users who are viewing this thread