We're all adults here - lose the swear filter!

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
*If* we were all adults here, then people wouldn't generally be swearing on a public message board - and as a result you wouldn't even know the filter was in place.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Uhhh. Swearing isn't so big a deal that, by doing so, you're "not adult", and ALSO isn't such a big deal that, by doing so, you ARE "adult". The fact that's it's so un-taboo now means that having a swear filter in place is, as Summo said right at the beginning, patronising. Also, swearing isn't entirely without its uses, and stupid stuff like the swear filter and, for instance, that dumb rule that says posts have to be certain lengths and the thing which de-capitalises all-capital-letter sentences, are just useless, limiting and baffling. Sure the things these stop can be abused, but they also have legitimate uses, and it's really dumb to have to force people to converse in specific ways.
(Incidentally, I personally find rampant idiocy more "offensive" than swearing. A well written, funny post replete with swearwords is absolutely fine with me, but a txt-spk, idiotic post will piss me off.)

I guess the conclusion to be drawn is simply that this is not an ideal forum. So, fuck it.

Edit - on the other hand, it's only, what, **** and ****** that get filtered? It's not that big a problem in the first place really, although yeah, it's still dumb. It's funny that it filters out those words in urls, too. That could be a pain.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Arindra said:
*If* we were all adults here, then people wouldn't generally be swearing on a public message board - and as a result you wouldn't even know the filter was in place.

What Louster said. With bells on.

Its like nudity...it exists...its...natural. Like the Janet Jackson thing - wtf is the fuss about? Its a nipple, we've all got one...even Wij! ;)

Words...just words.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Why not build a 'filter swear words' setting into the options in peoples user profiles? That way the swearers and the non-swearers are both happy.

Although why anyone would object to the odd swear word is totally beyond me. A forum is just that. A public place where people can say things publicly. Sometimes that may mean reading something you don't like. Live with it. And if you can't live with it, I would recommend doing the following:

- Ram corks into your ears every time you step outside your front door.
- Do not switch on the television or radio
- Wear opaque sunglasses
- Disconnect your computer
- Sit down with a nice milky drink and hope it all goes away

Oh, and do the same for your children too. Otherwise they could all start swearing in the playground. Oh God, can you imagine that? Children swearing in playgrounds? We'd all be living in a pretty sick world then and no mistake.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Xtro said:
Its like nudity...it exists...its...natural. Like the Janet Jackson thing - wtf is the fuss about? Its a nipple, we've all got one...even Wij! ;)

I do ?

Wow !

*play*

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Okay, so just to clarify, it seems to only filter the "c-word" if it appears on its own or pluralised, but not if it's suffixed/prefixed by anything, entirely filters the "n-word", and, as brought to attention by Gurnox, completely blanks out "b1lbo". What the fuck? Why are we not allowed to say the name of the hobbit? Bizarre.

Oh yeah heh, and we still can't say "******d" (the opposite of inward - hooray for killing completely harmless words! And yes I know about all that crap with that website, but it's still silly.)

Clown

Part of the furniture
LOUSTER! You are why I read these forums.
Bye now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom