Well people seem to be taking an interest

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Just got my copy of PC gamer through and its got Warhammer on the cover and a 6 page feature on it.

I think because of the dominance of WOW that more interest will be given to WAR as i think people want it to knock WOW off it's top spot.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Warhammer IP and EA are strong enough to raise interest without refering to WoW, hopefully, or you will have the Warhammer chats full with WoW-kids you can put on ignore.

TR is suffering from that, everyone wants to have an opinion on this or that because he played WoW.

:eek7:

Anyway, what did the magazine say about Warhammer?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
WoW changed the face of mmorpg's, as such every new game in the genre since has been compared to WoW because they really did set the bar. It's natural for new games to try and emulate that success and it can only be a good thing for the future of mmorpgs.

That being said, I doubt WAR will come anywhere close to the success of WoW, just don't think it has the mass appeal that WoW had and still has.

Bottom line, right now mmorpg gaming is dominated by people who love PvE, raiding and casual pvp. If WAR want to compete with WoW (and i doubt they do because they would get creamed) then they need to accommodate that type of player. Again its a personal opinion, but i hope WAR steers clear of the temptation to compete with WoW. There is a big enough niche' market out there for WAR to be successful in it's own right, do it's own thing and not fall into the trap of trying to clone WoW's success recipe.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes i fully agree with it being a strong IP, one that has a massive following of early teen boys (Which makes me feel uneasy when i have to go into a GW shop with being a 40k fan in my late 20's )so i think the problem will not be WOW kiddies but it will be GW kiddies.

I think comparisons with WOW are expected as for most people WOW was their first MMO as before its release MMO's were considered "big" if they had more then 100k active and so was a rather small market.

As for the preview it's very positive, has a big focus on the realm war aspect and talks a lot on the strong Warhammer IP, not a huge amount of info that fans wouldnt already know but lots of nice pictures and such. Talks a lot of how WOW has opened up the market for WAR to steal all its players and how WAR allows PVE and PVP to mix better then WOW's tacked on approach.

This next few months seem to be GW dominated in PC gaming anyway with the mark of chaos expansion along with the dawn of war expansion, yet again GW find ways to drain me of cash even after i vowed to stop buying things from them :/

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Yes i fully agree with it being a strong IP, one that has a massive following of early teen boys (Which makes me feel uneasy when i have to go into a GW shop with being a 40k fan in my late 20's )
I know that feelin :D

Well glad there's a magazine article, but i doubt they'll have masses of info we don't already know. Still i guess i'll give it a look because....well i'm not playing anything atm so don't have a lot else to do :D

rynnor

Rockhound
I think Wow helped the whole MMO market - it must be a lot easier to sell an MMO to mainstream suppliers nowadays and more interest = more press coverage = more people playing - its a virtuous circle.

I dont much like the game but I am happy that an MMO broke into the mass market.

I think its very narrow minded to think that WAR will just nick a load of Wow players - I think it will pull in a lot of people completely new to MMO's in the same way Wow did which is great for the whole industry.

I personally believe that MMO's are going to grow into one of the biggest categories of computer game in the future - easy access to cheap/fast broadband, people wanting to play with their mates, the whole facebook and other online communities thing are all converging on the MMO genre.

We live in interesting times :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Indeed, but it makes me sad when I think that it's just the beginning of the interesting times.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
WAR will take gamers away from WoW, that's a fact. But how much, is uncertain ofcourse. I think WAR has a potential of reaching a minimum of a million subscribers worldwide, certainly not beating WoW with what was it, 7 mil? 8 mil? 1337 gazil? But WAR will be big, and it will be fun :D

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I think comparisons with WOW are expected as for most people WOW was their first MMO as before its release MMO's were considered "big" if they had more then 100k active and so was a rather small market.

Pretty much nailed it here, totally agree.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
True but the Korean market is one of a kind

Lethul

FH is my second home
Just got my copy of PC gamer through and its got Warhammer on the cover and a 6 page feature on it.

I think because of the dominance of WOW that more interest will be given to WAR as i think people want it to knock WOW off it's top spot.

lol you suck!

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Will you be playing WAR at release or waiting til it's clear which classes are overpowered and rolling one? :)

You could just roll a class at release, which you think will be OP, when it turns out to be an other class, just reroll then ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom