Weird sound issue

Gray

FH is my second home
For the past couple of months i've been having this somewhat strange occurance with my onboard sound. I usually run things like World of Warcraft and then my browser in the background.

When i tab out of Warcraft and go to a media/video website, or even Media Player *sometimes* (inconsistantly) when i returned to playing Warcraft the sound would feel substantially low.

2/10 times the chances would be that the sound would return back to an audible level in-game, however the rest of the occasions the sound would remain low, and the only way to bring the sound back up would be to exit the game and come back in again.

However other sources, whether it be MSN, Youtube/Media Player etc would remain at the same level of audio. At first i thought this issue tied in to a Warcraft patch which was released a couple of months ago, sometimes bugs get through testing so it happens, i was looking to reporting this on the Warcraft forums/tech support until i noticed for the first time tonight that it might not be just Warcraft.

I haven't really used my iTunes in a while, but earlier while i had iTunes on pause i checked something, only to return to it being low. I exitted iTunes and reloaded it, and the sound was back upto a normal level again. I was confused.

It is very hard to replicate this issue, i don't exactly know what is triggering it to do this. One thing i can (only) assume is possible file formats which the videos being uploaded are, whether they're .mpg or .flv etc, but i doubt i can find out.

A few nights ago i did go onto the onboard sound-manufacturers website, and seen they had some updated drivers which where only a couple of weeks old - Realtek ALC883 is the ones i wanted.

I downloaded the latest ones, but while it was again difficult to replicate the issue, i eventually did end up finding out that the updated drivers did nothing to help. I was half tempted to look for a PCI sound card, but at the same time i would be unsure if a new sound card would be worthwhile or effective.

Anyway onto a few specs which i can think up:

Asus P5K Motherboard
Realtek ALC883 Onboard sound (Latest manufacturer drivers)
Windows 7 32 bit
BFG Geforce 8800GT Graphics

I'll probably fire up my old machine tomorrow and see if it has onboard sound or not, if it doesn't i might try testing that, but probably as a last resort i guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom