Wedding Dress Help

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
Heya all, i got a problem

i need to sell my girlfriends old wedding dress she bought when she was seeing her now EX boyfriend, so we can afford to buy a new one for her to marry me in, the trouble is i havent managed to find any bridal shops etc that buy dresses so im kinda stuck with an £800 dress that was bought for another guy,

i really could use some help getting it sold but i dont know where to go ive tried putting it up on the friday-ad webpage for a few months but i dont think many peeps realise friday-ad have listings on their webpage

we are in the uk on the southeast coast if anybody have any suggestions

thanks

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm why not use it at your wedding? If it hasnt been used before i dont see a problem? Or does it have the ex-boyfriends name embroideried on it?

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Obvious - but tried eBay? I know someone who sold unwanted bridesmaids dresses that way.

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
ebay could be worth a try i think,

as for using it at my wedding, that just seems wrong to me as it was bought for another guy

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Well, imo it doesn't matter who the dress was bought for, if you like the dress then wear it. If the feller she's marrying gets all arsy if he finds out, or if you're scared of him finding out, then I don't think he's the right man.

If he's the right man, you could walk down the aisle wearing a pair of jeans and a tweed jacket, and he'd still love you just the same.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Naetha said:
Well, imo it doesn't matter who the dress was bought for, if you like the dress then wear it. If the feller she's marrying gets all arsy if he finds out, or if you're scared of him finding out, then I don't think he's the right man.

If he's the right man, you could walk down the aisle wearing a pair of jeans and a tweed jacket, and he'd still love you just the same.

I think Anny is the man hon :) Still you're quite correct. I don't see the problem if you love her with her wearing the other dress, she bought the dress because she liked it, not because she was buying it for the ex-boyfriend's approval.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Well if you are superstitious you would not want to wear a dress your husband to be has seen, which seems to be the case here :)

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
some good points of view here thanks folks,

am i really being over picky or what ever in thinking its wrong for her to marry me in a dress she bought to marry somebody else in ?

also how on earth do guys live without seeing their brides to be in the dress before the day, ive seen it in her wardrobe but never seen it on, but i really would like to see her in the dress we are going to be married in

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
if she has no problems with wearing that dress, why dont you ask to see it on? and then you'll know whether you have a complete problem with it or not

if i ever was to get married (which i wont) i think i'd be unsure about it too, as i get really jealous/paranoid etc

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Ah, what a dilemma:

• Remove dress from packaging
  • Place dress carefully on living room carpet
  • Purchase two kittens
  • Place kittens in living room
  • Go out
  • Have a pint
  • Do the food shopping
  • Collect your dry cleaning
  • Drive home, enter house
  • Pick up dress, now in tatters
  • Phone up insurance company
  • Wait for cheque

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
dear god people!!!
HE IS A MAN!!! the dress is his girlfriends! the dress is HIS girlfriends dress which she brought when she was with her previous bf

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Anny said:
am i really being over picky or what ever in thinking its wrong for her to marry me in a dress she bought to marry somebody else in ?

For what it's worth, I'm a girl and I wouldn't use anything from a cancelled wedding for a new one, I'd feel like it was tempting fate just a bit too much :)

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Mikah75 said:
dear god people!!!
HE IS A MAN!!! the dress is his girlfriends! the dress is HIS girlfriends dress

Apparently, some men like to wear wedding dresses (not my idea of fun, but still)... Perhaps Anny would enjoy wearing it ;P There have been some publicised instances where the girl has worn the top hat & tails & teh guy the dress for a laugh if nothing else :eek6:

But in all seriousness Anny, ebay is by far your best bet. Ok you won't get that close to what she paid for it originally but you will shift it that way.

As far as do you need to sell it? I dunno... Personally, I wouln't be that worried about who my GF bought the dress for. It's who she wears it for as she walks down the isle that matters. A dress shouldn't stand in the way of making that public commitment to each other if that's what you both want.

Anyway, GL with the dress & the wedding :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think the old dress would remind me of her ex bf, may as well let the ex bf give her away at the isle.

thats just my opinion

Ging

Part of the furniture
Me n my bro wore dresses at his wedding!

well kilts r kinda gurly.

very liberating at the pub though :)

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
eggy said:
Ah, what a dilemma:

• Remove dress from packaging
  • Place dress carefully on living room carpet
  • Purchase two kittens
  • Place kittens in living room
  • Go out
  • Have a pint
  • Do the food shopping
  • Collect your dry cleaning
  • Drive home, enter house
  • Pick up dress, now in tatters
  • Phone up insurance company
  • Wait for cheque

Brilliant imo :D reped

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Cadiva said:
I think Anny is the man hon :) Still you're quite correct. I don't see the problem if you love her with her wearing the other dress, she bought the dress because she liked it, not because she was buying it for the ex-boyfriend's approval.

Sorry, I thought with a name like Anny, and a slightly feminine writing style Anny was the wife-to-be's girly mate...

If you both have a problem with the dress, then fine, get rid of it, but I'd rather get married in the old dress and go on a honeymoon thats £800 better :)

When I got married two years ago, we spent £200 on the dress, £150 on suit hire etc, £400 on rings (incidentally, if you like titanium rings, or fancy something a little different, we got ours here and absolutely love them), £500 on the reception, and then the rest of the money (took out a graduate loan :clap:) was spent on a £4000 honeymoon in Canada - absolute holiday of a lifetime :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It all comes down to if you really want to do the whole manly "I piss further in a F5 tornado then you do!" towards the guy who's out of the picture anyway.

If she's happy in getting married in that, then do it.

Afterall, she should be rather happy about the dress since it cost bloody 800 and SHE picked it out last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom