Webspace Providers - Advise

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I've been looking to buy abit of webspace for hosting my files they are daoc and work related, but nothing to break the bank sort of thing, looking for recomendations, I'm looking for highest posible monthly bandwidth allowance, size would need to be around 500mb-1gb+ and of course reliability.

Currently the best I've found has been Brinkster with 1gb space and 30gb monthly bandwidth costing about a £4-5 a month, they also offer 1 free domain name, email services and so on.

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
1and1.co.uk

£4.99/mo ..... does everything it says on the tin, and more ^^

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Generally there're two types of hosting providers; the professional ones who give less bandwidth/diskspace, but are very reliable and they will fullfill their contract. Then there're the cowboys! mostly resellers who offer loads of BW/DS at very low prices, but you're likely to experience some downtime and if you start using the quoted BW/DS, your account might be terminated :p

I've been using ukhost4u for the past year. 1Gb storage, 25Gb transfer/month for £30/year.
It went well at first, but there were serious uptime issues during the summer(something about an inept server admin who started working for them). It has been stable for the past few months though, so I'll probably renew my account with them. They used to have decent forums, but those were removed after the summer incident :p Now started again here.

There's a crazy offer going on at Dreamhost. 800MB storage and 120GB/monthly transfer... for $10/year oO
You select Crazy Domain Insane > One year payment. During the registration process, when you need to validate your details there's an "Auth Code" box, enter "777" for the special deal and this removes over $100 to leave you with $9.95 to pay + you get a free domain name(though if you plan to keep the domain you register for life, don't let any web host register it for you, do it privately!) oO

I know people who registered 2 months ago and they're having no problems with dreamhost... I've signed up recently, but waiting for my account to be activated. Although the website says it's a December offer, it's been going on since October so I doubt it will end now. Forums are here

If reliability and uptime are critical, go with a trusted ~£5/month host... if you're living in sweden and you only want to host files, why not go for 10Mb broadband and setup a webserver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom