Website Ownership

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

While back someone posted a link to where you could find the registered owners of a webiste.

Any one remember the link?

leggy

Probably Scottish
These sites may be of no use to you but I use them on a daily basis. (my pc access at work is limited to IE)

The top one will only tell you the registered owner of a domain.

Gray

FH is my second home
Wow... even their home address in some cases :S

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Gray said:
Wow... even their home address in some cases :S
On a side note, if people are interested in registering a domain for their own personal use in the UK, there is the .me.uk domain which is fairly unique in that it is a) aimed at individuals b) allows you to opt out of having your address (but not your name) published on the WHOIS records. This prevents people having to register company-orientated .co.uk or .com domains (although many still do) and having their details made available.

Kind Regards

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Well, real operating systems have the 'whois' tool saving you the hassle ;)

Failing that whois.net works fine.

As for hiding registration details some DNS registrars offer this. Godaddy do it for sure, not certain what other options there are.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
On a side note, if people are interested in registering a domain for their own personal use in the UK, there is the .me.uk domain which is fairly unique in that it is a) aimed at individuals b) allows you to opt out of having your address (but not your name) published on the WHOIS records. This prevents people having to register company-orientated .co.uk or .com domains (although many still do) and having their details made available.

Just to clarify, the .me.uk TLD isn't unique in respect (b), as I have a .co.uk domain and I've opted out of having my address displayed on the record for that. Of course, I'm not sure that helps me much as I have the corresponding .com domain as well, which doesn't seem to allow me to opt out.

Just thought I'd clarify (or correct) what Jonty was saying there ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish
I just put in a fake address :/

A whois doesn't display billing addresses only tech, admin and reg details.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
fatbusinessman said:
Just to clarify, the .me.uk TLD isn't unique in respect (b), as I have a .co.uk domain and I've opted out of having my address displayed on the record for that. Of course, I'm not sure that helps me much as I have the corresponding .com domain as well, which doesn't seem to allow me to opt out.

Just thought I'd clarify (or correct) what Jonty was saying there ;)
Ah, thanks for clarifying that matey, I guess times have changed since I registered my domain. It's good to see Nominet taking good care of things.

Kind Regards

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
leggy said:
I just put in a fake address :/

A whois doesn't display billing addresses only tech, admin and reg details.

is it an address covered by nominet? (.co.uk, .me.uk etc), if so, they will be sending your certificate of registration to that address.

leggy

Probably Scottish
kanonfodda said:
is it an address covered by nominet? (.co.uk, .me.uk etc), if so, they will be sending your certificate of registration to that address.

no

it's a .org

I hadn't fully considered that though I must say. I did leave the billing address correct however :/

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
kanonfodda said:

A what?

I never got one for my .com domain? (and they have my real address)

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
.com is not covered by nominet ;)

only domains ending in .uk are managed by nominet, and even then there are exceptions (.gov.uk for example).

I don't know the rules regarding .com addresss' but I have no certificate for mine either :D

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I have no cert for my .co.uk either :(

But they dont have my address, so I guess that explains that.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
hehe, steady Uncle Sick, I'm just showing my human frailties (I am not a machine ;))

As for the certificates, Wil, it can months if not over well over a year for Nominet to send out the registration certificates. Last I heard they had a significant backlog hence the delay. Thankfully Nominet have an online system for updating the registration details. The only downside is the unique PIN you need to update is (I *think*) sent with the certificate of registration.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much, the domain is still in your name regardless of the certificate :)

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom