Web Space

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by dysfunction, Jan 24, 2004.

1. dysfunction

dysfunction FH is my second home

I think in order to have some permanent webspace I think I am going to have to buy some.

I used to have some Barrysworld (RIP) webspace and I also had some on Lycos which they have now closed (Reason given: ).

Anyone know of a good place that has a low yearly subscription?

Thanks!

2. Shovel

Shovel Can't get enough of FH

Me and Fatty share hosting on BurtonHosting. £40 a year for the basic personal package (which is 250MB/4GB bandwidth) along with all the usual PHP/mySQL/Perl features. All Linux based, though there's a button in the control panel that says "Frontpage extensions", so I can but assume someone has ported them to *nix.

You need your own domain, but they'll add a co.uk for £5 a year or a .com for (iirc) £10 a year extra. Or you can link your own existing domain to it.

Service is also very good and I've never noticed the server to be down.

-- A lot of people have been asking for tips on this in the WebDev forum so this is a well trained response ;) I wonder if they have a referral scheme.... heh.

3. RandomBastard

RandomBastard Can't get enough of FH

I'm just using my isp webspace with my own domain name atm.

4. Whipped

Whipped Part of the furniture

I also went for BurtonHosting after reading about in the webdev forum. I have to say I'm very impressed so far. The web interface to the space is seemless and works very well.
    As Shovel said, if you've got you own domain it's easier, but they'll register one for you for a little extra.
    BTW, basic package cost me £33.72.

5. dysfunction

Thanks for the help!

I guess I should have looked in the WebDev Forum! :eek:

6. Yoni

Yoni Cockb@dger / Klotehommel

I use webfusion, I think for a basic package its about 8 quid a month depends what you want it for. I have a lot of maps for an old game and its getting more and more difficult to find them so I use mine to host those maps so the clan I play for can find and download them.

If you want something basic with a domain 123reg.co.uk is good you get:

100 MB of web space for £1.59*
    per month!
    1500 MB data transfer (bandwidth)
    per month.
    CGI/Perl Script enabled.
    On-line file manager and full FTP access.
    15 mail boxes (POP3).
    Webalizer graphical web statistics.
    Add FrontPage Extensions
    for £25 per year.
    Unlimited e-mail forwarding addresses.

7. dysfunction

That 123reg.co.uk looks really good...and will be perfectly good for what I need.

8. PR.

PR. Fledgling Freddie

I just transferred my domain from 1and1 to 123reg.co.uk and they are pretty good, their control panel allows you to manage alot of the stuff yourself which was the problem with 1and1 you had to email forms and stuff.

9. Vae

Vae Resident Freddy

I use webmania and found them to be pretty good so far.
    www.webmania.co.uk
    £20 (+VAT) per year
    500 Mb space
    6GB per month bandwidth
    Domains: .com £15 (+VAT) per year, .co.uk £15 (+VAT) per 2 years

500MB of disk space
    6GB of data transfer per month
    Frontpage extensions version 2002
    Unlimited POP3 mail@yourdomain.com
    Unlimited mail forwarding mail@yourdomain.com
    Email is filtered for Spam and Viruses.
    Unlimited subdomains of your domain name
    e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com/
    CGI-BIN directory
    Control Panel
    Perl 5
    PHP 4
    SSI (server side includes)
    MySQL Database
    phpMyAdmin for MySQL management
    SSH access
    Full FTP access
    Detailed visitor statistics
    Close control downflow air conditioning units.
    UPS system and Generator back-up

10. Vae

Vae Resident Freddy

I also use 34sp.com for a client
    http://www.34sp.com/hostingfeatures.shtml

More expensive but the support looks superb. The support people tend to be on IRC all say and also on a forum they maintain (with associated community) on the website too so advice is easy to obtain.

11. Afx

Afx Fledgling Freddie

Ive got some space with http://www.valuehost.co.uk, Theyve got plenty of different packages and theyre fairly reasonably priced and include pretty much everything you'll need.
    I've also got a site hosted at http://www.burstfire.net.uk / www.daweb.co.uk, They aren't the cheapest but ive got absolutely no complaints so they're definitely worth a look..The sites a little sparse but its worth contacting them all the same(also their support is second to none, particularly if you use irc to contact them) Theyre also worth considering if you are looking for a replacement for your game.net server : http://www.burstfire.net