Weapons Unlocked

Embattle

FH is my second home
Least it allowed me to try some of the other weapons so I can unlock a good one next :D

Athan

Resident Freddy
Aye, I was 'lucky' as one of the all unlocked people. I 'abused' it to try them all out.

Didn't get to play that much, but here's my thoughts:

G36C (Spec Ops) - I'd already unlocked this anyway, played with it for a few hours, didn't find it any more accurate or harder hitting than the M4. Also it's iron sights, and 2/3 of the default Spec Ops guns have Dot Sight, which I love. So sod it.

M95 - Not worth it. Bolt action, so the slow reload and loss of zoom between shots, just like the M24. If it does more damage it's still not enough for general 1 shot kills (I'm not that great a sniper, so trying for a headshot everytime isn't going to work). Personally I'd rather have the SVD and get 3 shots off rapidly on a target.

G3 (Assault) - Didn't get to play much with this unfortunately due to the nature of the gameplay at the time I tried it. Although having played some with the default Assault class I can see the on-rifle grenade launchers having a huge advantage over normal thrown frag grenades. 1) Aiming correct distance is a lot easier, 2) they explode on impact, no waiting for it to fuse. For this reason I'd not bother with the G3.

PKM - Definitely worth it. The M249 is roughly on par, but the default MEC and PLA Support MGs suck, so get the PKM if you play Support much at all.

LA85A1 - Same as the G3, didn't get to play with it much.

AT/Engineer Shotguns - *IF* you're at close range they're lethal due to the rapid firing. But, as always, you can't guarantee that range and are gimped beyond it. Not worth it for this reason.

-Ath

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I was stupid enough to get the M95...its supposed to be good at long range...thats crap and all!

I completely wasted my time unlocking that as I never use it. The ordinary sniper rifle is much better...

:(

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i got the G3 and i hate it so much it makes me cry when i goto bed.
i play assault a bit and never use the grenade launcher accept to attack choppers. the AK kicks ass over the G3, so does the chinese and so does the american Mwhatever

:(

Athan

Resident Freddy
Having played it a little more, I've changed my mind *slightly* about the G36C. It does seem to hit a little harder, but the accuracy seems worse than M4, so it's only better at short to medium range. And I still hate the iron sights.

-Ath

Embattle

FH is my second home
Think my next gun might be the AT one.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm about to hit 10500 and I can't decide what to get next; I've got the SA80 (but don't like it much). Pretty disappointed with what people are saying about the Barratt, I was looking forward to that. Reckon I might get the jackhammer...

Poag

m00?
Embattle is a bit of a demon with the jackhammer.

I've unlocked the G36C and SA80 now...i only use the SA80 when i play US and Chinese as the AK-101 is too godly.

One of the regs has the anti tank DAO-12 unlocked and it seems pretty good.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Jackhammer is ok but overall it can't hit anything over more than a few feet and has such a small clip, with a long reload time, you're going to get killed fast.

Athan

Resident Freddy
(yes it'll seem like I'm repeating myself)

Having played MORE with the G36C I'm *REALLY* warming to it. I dunno, maybe it has some different characteristic when fired on burst/full auto that was putting me off before, but on single shot it OMGWTFPWNS! You do just have to get used to the iron sight on it, as opposed to the dot sight on 2/3 of the default spec ops guns.

If you play Spec Ops enough, or even assault (as spec ops is a good assault alternative IMO) then I'd unlock the G36C.

-Ath

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Athan said:
(yes it'll seem like I'm repeating myself)

Having played MORE with the G36C I'm *REALLY* warming to it. I dunno, maybe it has some different characteristic when fired on burst/full auto that was putting me off before, but on single shot it OMGWTFPWNS! You do just have to get used to the iron sight on it, as opposed to the dot sight on 2/3 of the default spec ops guns.

-Ath

I knew you'd warm to it. Tis indeed a class gun.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Yeah, singleshot it's brilliant, but I'm still irked a little by the burst/auto behaviour, sure feels like the M4 is better in that situation i.e. CQB.

In a clan match just now I took out someone on 16 player Karkand when I could only *just* see them through the fog, using G36C, on single shot :D. Only reason I knew he was there is he'd tried to kill me at extreme range with an AT rocket. I also took out a sniper. He shot me once, but before he'd reloaded and shot again I'd gotten 4-5 single shots in on him and he was dead :D.

Mind you, overall I still prefer the M4, it's just with the G36C I have consistency across all 3 teams. I'll be going for the PKM unlock next for the same reason wrt Support, which I all too often don't play now as 2/3 of the time I'm not USMC.

-Ath

Redh3lix

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i got the G3 and i hate it so much it makes me cry when i goto bed. :(

This is an extreamly powerfull gun, get used to it on city maps if I were you and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I still haven't officially made Corporal, seems to be stuck since I keep getting that I'm promoted in game to Corporal but it refuses to update BFHQ.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I didn't listen. I unlocked the Barrat. I'm actually not disappointed; it's "shoot pilots through their cockpit window" party-piece works as advertised, which is very satisfying on the rare occasions when you get the chance. I just played on Kubra Dam, perched up a crane, every time someone jumped in the Havok, bullet in the forehead. It was driving them nuts :) Eventually, he got airborne, rose up in front of me, got him again. Ahhhh.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
DaGaffer said:
I didn't listen. I unlocked the Barrat. I'm actually not disappointed; it's "shoot pilots through their cockpit window" party-piece works as advertised, which is very satisfying on the rare occasions when you get the chance. I just played on Kubra Dam, perched up a crane, every time someone jumped in the Havok, bullet in the forehead. It was driving them nuts :) Eventually, he got airborne, rose up in front of me, got him again. Ahhhh.

I must be a really crap at sniping then cos I cant hit anything unless they are completely still and only a 20 meteres away.... but I am better with the regular sniper rifle...

Athan

Resident Freddy
I'm no great sniper either. I canNOT seem to judge side-to-side movement lead at all. Can just about judge it if they're running towards me. If people are being dumb and laying down/crouching I can be lethal of course (big whoop).

Just remember with the M24 (default USMC) and M95 (unlock), you can hold fire down for a second or two to see IF you hit. Only releasing the button starts the bolt-action reload cycle.
Of course I still prefer the SVD/other semi-auto one. Can get 3 or more shots off in the time it takes to reload the others.

-Ath

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I didnt know you could do that thanks Athan...that would impove my kills a lot more

Embattle

FH is my second home
Decided to give the G3 a go in the end, seems fairly good in short bursts.....it could do with a slightly bigger mag though.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yeah the mag is a bit skimpy tbh. power's good though ;)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Got my first unlock this evening having hit Lance Corporal ... I want to unlock the machine gun (I like playing support, plus I suck at aiming anyway). Where do I choose my unlock? It's not obvious and I'm feeling thick :(

Thanks!

Athan

Resident Freddy
Once the account server notices you've ranked up you'll get asked on login for which you want to unlock (PKM for Support). You also get the option of deferring the choice until later.

Edit: Oh and once it's unlocked you use it by using the kit selection screen. Where you normally just pick which kit you want there's a padlock icon top right of that kit's area. This will have changed to an up/down arrow icon on weapons you have unlocked. Click it to select the unlock, and again to go back to default.
It will remember this selection whilst on the same server, across round starts and map changes.

-Ath

Yaka

Part of the furniture
might seem abit lame, but if you notice a guy on your side with a unlockable gun that catches yer, just hang around near till he meats a bullet with his name on it. just used the SA80 right now (revived the guy who got my spec ops g3) similar to my normal gun but the auto mode is far better than the gun i normaly use, prolly my next unlock if i can be arsed being a medic

Athan

Resident Freddy
For probably not the last time Yaka the G3 is the Assault unlock, you mean the G36C for Spec Ops.

But, yes, if you want to try out an unlock and know someone with it, arrange to loot if off their corpse. This also explains why you may have a different kit after being revived:

1) You 'die' (critically wounded)
2) Whilst you're wounded someone walks up and swaps kits with you
3) You get revived
4) You pick up the kit closest to you, which is now whatever the other guy dropped

It can get more complex too if several people swap whilst you're wounded.

Or of course you could install the demo, do the all-unlocks hack and play single player a while to test them all out (although I'm not 100% sure they're available in SP, might need to just tool around solo on a local server, which is a bit crap).

-Ath

TdC

I must say, the kit-swapping confused me at first, getting revived to have a differing role from which I died in. At first I thought it was some deep reincarnation thing going down....now I know better, you filthy kit-swapping nasties :eek:

;)

Embattle

FH is my second home
You always seem to be on the other side to me, so it's not me nicking your kit.

TdC

aye mate, but we'll manage to play together at some point I'm sure. I do tend to die a lot, so you'll best be a medic ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom