Weapon Stay - Yes or No?

J

Jace

With the launch of the BWUTL sites I have been becoming more involved in the actual running of the leagues and thought it might be interesting to discuss some of the points of contention here to see what everyone else thinks.

The issue of Weapon Stay :-

In Quake the league settings were pretty much exclusively Weapon Stay off (Deathmatch mode 1 if memory serves) and tactics would often be based around defending certain key areas containing the best weapons. Unreal Tournament is now about to walk the same league path as Quake has but should it follow the established settings? Already the current crop of online server seem to have adopted Weapon Stay on as a standard setting so how should the leagues proceed and should it be any different for each game type?

In CTF and Domination you could argue that Weapon Stay off eliminates the possibility of getting killed by a recently spawned opponent simply because they have been able to pick up a decent weapon straight off. You could, however, spin that on it’s head and say that this would then force you to think more about coordinated attacks with players covering each other to guard against this. Does Weapon Stay on allow teams more time to consider capture/defend tactics and techniques without being concerened about weaponry too much? With Weapon Stay off might it be too easy for a highly skilled player/team to dominate by sucking up every weapon available? With Weapon Stay on might it be too easy for a lesser skilled player/team to get back into the game again?

Would the above arguments hold true for Deathmatch? Well, to be honest, it is probably more clear cut for this game type but it is still interesting to see allot of teamplay servers still running Weapon Stay on.

My personal opinion is very much in favour of Weapon Stay on for CTF and Domination, but Weapon Stay off for Deathmatch bus as with the previous point what matters are your opinions so please add them to the debate here.

D

Danzanti6

Keep it, weap stay on has become the default because the settings in UT have come about because of it's Unreal background, weapon stay on is the default there. The styles is different- the maps are bigger the guns have far more uses for different purposes etc.

Your going out on a limb by setting weap stay off here, its not something that any of the other dm leagues/ladders have
frown.gif
Where considered thee top DM clan in the uk- honest guv
wink.gif
and the lack of weap stay will make us give serious consideration to withdrawing from the league and focusing on others instead- it changes the style of the game that much
frown.gif

You'll find where not the only top end clan who feels the same about this issue either
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Danzanti6[Void] (edited 20 January 2000).]

O

old.Switch

Weap stay - Yep.

Wot about a Champions league in the future?

J

Jace

Danzanti6[Void]- I take it you are talking about the rules for DM yes?

--------------------------------------------
"Your going out on a limb by setting weap stay off here, its not something that any of the other dm leagues/ladders have Where considered thee top DM clan in the uk- honest guv and the lack of weap stay will make us give serious consideration to withdrawing from the league and focusing on others instead- it changes the style of the game that much"

You'll find where not the only top end clan who feels the same about this issue either"
-------------------------------------------

I am not going out on a limb at all as the rules aren't decided, hence why I asked in the first place
smile.gif

Can you please let me know the URLs for the UT rules you have seen for other leagues, I have been looking for ideas from other leagues and have yet to find a league that has it's rules sorted for UT.

I mailed the clans in the UT DM league about weapon stay and team damage and have only recieved 2 replies, from VOID and one other clan. Both do not agree on either point so someone will end up dissapointed.

I take your point about the fact that you will consdier withdrawing however realise that I will not change things simply to suit one clan, regardless of how good you feel you are (the opinion of clans that do not consider themsleves "the top DM clan" count just as much as yours). I think you might find a little more competition for the top slot this time around btw
smile.gif

I beleive that, in your clan's mail to me, I was reminded that "this is not Quake", well I would like you to remember that "this is not Unreal"
smile.gif

This is a whole new ball game which sees players from Quake, Quake2, Unreal and Half-Life coming together to play the same game. I see no reason why we should carry on with certain game settings simply because it has "Unreal" in the title.

The ONLY way to approach this league is with an open mind and not get hung up on what has gone before (be that Quake or Unreal).

Thank you for the feedback though
smile.gif

D

Danzanti6

WM-WIJ?
you playing in the DM leagues?

As regards the point about this being Unreal not a Quake dervived game what I mean is we already went through this with Unreal ages back, same arguements against and same for, and ended up with it on- the game just doesn't work with it off.

[This message has been edited by Danzanti6[Void] (edited 21 January 2000).]

D

Danzanti6

fraid I can't give you any set DM league urls yet, I'd rather not say who I've spoken to bout league rules cos as you say there still not public yet
wink.gif

As regards comp for the top spot bring em on :p

W

Wij

Yeh. It's me.

Not playing in DM league at the moment, maybe later. Just expressing my preferences
smile.gif
I like it that way on team DM. Feel free to disagree
smile.gif

O

old.Real Retard

Weapons Stay - Yes or No?

(Some people cant help but be silly and I am one of them, hence this posting
smile.gif
)

Why ask us the gamers? Surely you should be asking the OGA!!!
smile.gif

------------------
DS.Real Retard

D

Danzanti6

Heh thought it was you
wink.gif

Sux without weap stay- speaking from playing a lot of UT teamdm clan games
frown.gif

Next thing is redeemer on or off tho- same with the amp(aka the quad :pP )?

I think Void would prefer both on but there's a few top end Euro clans, MTW etc who prefer em off.

W

Wij

lo m8

Yeh, I think weapon-stay AND redeemer adds to the tactical possibilities of TeamDM. It may be my QW backgound but I just like it like that. Maybe i'm a camper deep down
smile.gif

btw. I know i'm well into double figures on the pints but does everyone agree that 'Lexicon of Love' by ABC is the best album of the 80s ?

Must sleep now....

O

old.[SS]hol

Personally when I saw the weapstay off flag in the BW UT CTF league I was a bit dubious, with no ammo dropping that I know of.

Also no stackable weapons as in Q2, theres no real advantage to be gained other than slowing the game down, which IMO isnt a good idea.

PLEASE put weap stay on in CTF :)

-hol

D

Danzanti6

Jace have a look at http://www.unreality.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000582.html for an idea of how the Euro scene views weap stay and team damage, it's the same as you'll find over here.

Sure I've seen a .plan update from CliffyB where he recommends weap stay on for team leagues and off for 1on1's- can I find it tho......
frown.gif

J

Jace

Thanks for the URL, always helps to see as many opinions as possible (although more respnse from clans registered in the league would have been nice).

O

old.WhiteWashMan

leave weapon stay on for everything
i dont think ive ever played a server that had it off
in the last days of my q2 playing, i only played on weapon stay on servers...far more fun. and sure isnt that what its all about

oh, and stick the team damage to 20%
makes it more interesting
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom