Weapon spds

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Im a little confused everyone says the slower the weapon speed the more damage.

How is that if all weapons do 16.5 damage per second. A 2.1 spd hits for less damage than a 4.2 but twice as fast. So in 4.2 secs both swords do same damage.

I know this is not true or so people say but can anyone xplain why..

many thanks

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
slower weapons do more dmg in one hit but faster weapons do more dmg over time

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
also a 2.1 spd weapon caps speed very easily so you gain more from using a bit slower weapon

[CF]Gwareli

Fledgling Freddie
its all in one word => teh buffs

so with a slow weapon you can ;

*almost reach the speed of a fast wep.
*hit harder.

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
So if i stick with my S/S hero a faster weapon say 3.0 would be better for one on one fights as im never buffed and fights a drawn out with shield due to blocking lots and then get a slow sword for grp rvr as ill be buffed?

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
i would stick with the crecent blade or some of the 3.0-4.0 spd new weapons :D but i guess that's also a matter of opinion / taste

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Ehm, fyi, faster weapons don't hit harder over time.

There's a swing speed cap of 1.5 secs which you don't want to be under, but it doesn't really matter as long as you're above that looking at damage over time.

For dual wielders it works like this:

Style damage is based on mainhand speed. But the swing speed is based on the average of main and offhand weapon. So if you take a slow mainhander, and fast offhander, you get the style damage of a slow mainhander at a fast swing speed. Style damage is not affected by this effect, however QUI and HASTE do lower style damage (tho, increase damage over time).

The entire idea about "frontloading", getting slow weapons and not putting any qui on armour and not wanting any haste buffs, is because a healer has less time to react with heals. Damage over time may be lower, but if the target dies in the first hits of the tanks, this isn't a problem, since you can swing again by the time you picked the next target.

If healers got the target locked and are spamming heals you're fucked tho, at moments like that non-frontload > frontload, since more damage over time.

I think you're a hero, so I would go for a fast weapon while you're trying to slam, and the slowest weapon you can get for assisting. If 3 bm's are hitting a target and you throw in a hit of ~500 damage there's a big chance healers can't keep up anymore and the target dies.

And everything in daoc is rounded down, so slow > fast since you'll have less damage loss per hit. But this is very small and not significant, but just felt like mentioning it :m00:

Here's a nice swing speed calc ;)

http://daoc.nisrv.com/modules.php?name=Weapon_Speed_Calc

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
oh,

the cd haste only works when you swing both weapons tho, but that will be near 80% for bm's.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
You have a spare weapon slot, use it.

Put your slowest weapon in your hand, and have a faster one QB'd if you need to hit faster (say to interrupt a fast caster).

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming that your not reaching your cap swing speed then in theory a 2.0 speed and 4.0 speed weapon do the same dmg over time in the long run...

The distribution of this damage over time is different.

2.0s
time |damage delt (total)
0 1
2 2
4 3
6 4
8 5
10 6

4.0s
time |damage delt(total)
0 2
2 2
4 4
6 4
8 6
10 6

Basically a slow speed weapon will do the same damage over time, but it will be dealt slightly earlier which can make all the difference in a nicely working assist train. This is the essence of 'frontloading', and why most dmg dealing tanks seek a slow weapon.

You may as well use a faster weapon in pve or for duels, its kind of hard to get of a reactive (after parry) style if your using a 5.6speed weapon. You might also want to consider a faster weapon for opponents with pbt, but if you part of a nicely working assist train then its probably not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom