Film We must make this happen

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I've got a few things she can do around the house for a bit of cash.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It doesn't matter how much money Zach Braff has, you don't invest in projects with your own money if you can use someone else's money, and y'know, not put yourself in the poor house. Capitalism 101. Its also the reason we have concepts like limited liability companies.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
DaGaffer is bang on here. I allowed my boatyard to be used in a film, and gave massively discounted access to some boats to use in the production of it too, because it was great to be involved. I imagine that's what a lot of people backing this venture are doing it for. Simply the ability to feel as if they were part of it.

The haters really have no idea how the world turns. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head over this. It would look far more dodgy if there was a promise of a financial return on your investment, because how do you guarantee that these days? The investors know exactly what they're paying for so why get your knickers in a twist over it?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No no no. You're getting it all wrong.

Funding is fine.

Using a website that was started to help people with NO ACCESS TO MONEY OR ANY KIND OF FUNDING can try and appeal for it. This system is being abused by people with millions and millions and access to huge amounts of funding. But why bother when you can get the peons to pay for it and keep 100% of the profits, based on other people's money?

That's the problem. Not that he's looking for funding.

DaGaffer

Funding is fine.

Using a website that was started to help people with NO ACCESS TO MONEY OR ANY KIND OF FUNDING can try and appeal for it. This system is being abused by people with millions and millions and access to huge amounts of funding. But why bother when you can get the peons to pay for it and keep 100% of the profits, based on other people's money?

There's your problem right there; who says that's why Kickstarter was started? Kickstarter is a for-profit company with VC backing; it doesn't have any kind of charter that says "come here when the bank tells you to fuck off".

DaGaffer

Pretty sure Kickstarter did when they started.

Don't confuse PR with facts. There's nothing in their site that says that and nothing on Wiki, and the fact they're VC funded themselves tells you all you need to know. In fact a lot of the PR describes Kickstarter as, "The People's NEA" (National Endowment For The Arts) which is exactly the way Braff is using it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, people having problems with this probably have no problem with the likes of tim schaeffer and richard garriot kickstarting their products. Those guys are really poor and need help afterall ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Funding is fine.

It's not being abused. If Kickstarter didn't want people like that doing what he's doing then they wouldn't allow it.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not to mention we don't know how rich he is. The sarah connor chronicles woman from game of thrones is pretty much broke for example; http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Game...s-She-Has-Less-Than-5-Bank-Account-54391.html

Bank account balance is not net worth. Her issue is that the money is all tied up due to the messy divorce. She sold her house for $1.35 Mill in November, lost money on it but paid cash to buy it. Also the films she has in production and post production right now include:

The Purge
300 - Rise Of An Empire
The mortal Instruments

Don't think she is that hard up to be honest.

Regards Kickstarter, I get investing in a game that you want made. Getting discounts once released and in-game benefits are all attractive. But a movie, i don't get. See it once or twice and it's done. Not like your going to play it daily or 3-4 a week at least. People paying to be in a film as a extra I do get but not at $2500. Surprised the actor unions are not up in arms about these projects. For my $2500 I'd much rather have a small share of the earnings. Even with a $20 Mill film budget my 2500 would be 0.0125%. If it made $100 Mill then half the 0.0125% (0.00625%) would net me $6250. The half, would take into account the marketing and distribution. Heck even a quarter would net me a profit. Anyway you can see where I'm going.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Bank account balance is not net worth. Her issue is that the money is all tied up due to the messy divorce. She sold her house for $1.35 Mill in November, lost money on it but paid cash to buy it. Also the films she has in production and post production right now include:

The Purge
300 - Rise Of An Empire
The mortal Instruments

Don't think she is that hard up to be honest.

Yes and that's money she hasn't gotten yet. She doesn't have money NOW, she will be drowning in it later though. :)

Lakih

Resident Freddy

Regards Kickstarter, I get investing in a game that you want made. Getting discounts once released and in-game benefits are all attractive. But a movie, i don't get. See it once or twice and it's done. Not like your going to play it daily or 3-4 a week at least. People paying to be in a film as a extra I do get but not at $2500. Surprised the actor unions are not up in arms about these projects. For my $2500 I'd much rather have a small share of the earnings. Even with a $20 Mill film budget my 2500 would be 0.0125%. If it made $100 Mill then half the 0.0125% (0.00625%) would net me $6250. The half, would take into account the marketing and distribution. Heck even a quarter would net me a profit. Anyway you can see where I'm going.

I think a lot of people just like to sit back in the sofa and say "I made that project happen, maybe not by much, but I did invest in it".

It's a way of contributing to the world, if I give $10 to a project and someone else enjoys it, isn't that a good thing?

It's not like anyone is forcing me to give $10 to the movie, and the project is very upfront what you get in return. You get some novelty stuff, and if enough people pay up, you get to pay another $xx to go see the movie at your local cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom