Film We must make this happen

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Remember when rich Hollywooders would go to proper backers/fund themselves, rather than abusing a system designed for people who have no access to such things?

Yeah, that. The use of Kickstarter by so many incredibly well-off people to fund their projects is horrible. Fund it yourself if you can and want it made.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Ah you little cynic Wazz.. but I have to agree.

Kickstarter would have prevented Kevin Smith using a bag of credit cards to fund Clerks (not that it hurt him in the end but the risk was bigger). If he were to use it now he would deserver a kick in the cunt. Mostly because his films mostly suck now.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
So instead of a too large group of Hollywood execs messing around with a project, instead we'll have an insanely large amount of fan boys and idiots buying their very own pick your own adventure stories from now on?

Not to mention the influx of people who are probably just trying to pad the budgets they already have by exploiting a system that's not meant for people who don't actually need it.

This is definitely a good idea....

Chilly

Balls of steel
So instead of a too large group of Hollywood execs messing around with a project, instead we'll have an insanely large amount of fan boys and idiots buying their very own pick your own adventure stories from now on?

Not to mention the influx of people who are probably just trying to pad the budgets they already have by exploiting a system that's not meant for people who don't actually need it.

This is definitely a good idea....
Well, actually, if you look at something like the stock market you find that companies with large numbers of tiny shareholders (I know kickstarter isnt equity based) tend to have less effective board and shareholder control as there is no large shareholder to slap the management about. With films like this you'll see some token powers given out (name a character, have a walk on, etc) but nothing substantial. It does two things: it frees JD up to make his film however he wants and it means he gets to keep every fucking dollar of profit that the kickstarters financed with trivial rewards. There's a reason people don't invest in filmn projects: 99% of them suck ass and lose money.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Cant he fund it from what he got for a couple of episodes of that shitty hospital thing?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Cant he fund it from what he got for a couple of episodes of that shitty hospital thing?
I'd be surprised if he couldnt. But why would he take any financial risk when he can get 15,000 mugs to do it for him for peanuts?

Himse

FH is my second home
I refuse to quote Raven over sheer blasphemy.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
That made me laugh. GS was a good movie though, curious to see how this plays out.

Wonder if I can set up a kickstart to pay me £50,000 a year for me being me..

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
This is a great idea, GS is one of my favorite films. I hope it works out

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Meh. Not really interested in this per se, but we're going to see a lot more of this; we're going back to an era of patronage of the arts, just in a slightly more democratised fashion. If everyone pirates and no one wants advertising, then this is a logical outcome.

leggy

Probably Scottish
In hindsight, I'd support these ventures just so I don't have to have another Apple product shoved down my throat via a TV Show or Movie.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I find this incredible, taking peoples money as backers when they see none of the profit should it do well. Free financing and take 100% of the profit, best con ever!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I find this incredible, taking peoples money as backers when they see none of the profit should it do well. Free financing and take 100% of the profit, best con ever!

Cynic. Surprisingly, I don't think people are stupid (well, not all of them). They know what they're getting into, and feeling part of the creative process, even if its only by supplying funding, has a long tradition, its just that instead of the Medicis funding Michaelangelo, or Josef II funding Mozart, you've got Cletus from Bumfuck Arkansas funding Zach Braff.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
garden state was absolutely gash. this is coming from someone who likes lost in translation.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's already at 1.5mill after a day or so being up.
They'll easily hit target, and probably have to add some stretch goals.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Reasons why the distribution of wealth worldwide is absolutely and completely fucked 101.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Honestly, I don't care. So he's filthy rich and starts a kickstarter funding. So what? He's not stealing anything, he's not doing anything wrong - he just wants to remain rich, and possibly richer, if possible. Who here does not desire that? Why do you play the lotto? Why do you look for better paying jobs? Is it not to improve your earnings and your lifestyle? Is it not to become richer?

I see no fault in that, it's human nature. So yeah, modern way of being a patron of the arts. For 10$? Sure!. For Zach Braff? Double Sure!.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If people don't like it then don't pay! It's as simple as that.

He is not forcing anyone to part with their cash.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Like any other kickstarter then ;)

Himse

FH is my second home
Neither do I, granted he's already rich, but he's giving people a chance to be in his movie, take part in lots of different aspects etc?

You'd never get that really without doing something like this..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well duh!, She's in the middle of a divorce, of course she will claim she has nothing.

Was simply a point enforcer, no idea how loaded she really is, but could be living on lidl noodles too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom