Washing machine flood

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The washing machine decided to chuck out a tidal wave of water which soaked into the front room carpet yesterday. My gf and I managed to soak up most of it using towels but the carpet is still soaking :(

Anyone got any tips on how to dry out the carpet?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
SAS said:
The washing machine decided to chuck out a tidal wave of water which soaked into the front room carpet yesterday. My gf and I managed to soak up most of it using towels but the carpet is still soaking :(

Anyone got any tips on how to dry out the carpet?

Guessing it's a full carpet, like, nailed to the floor with industrial sized nails and such?

'cause if it's not, you could always take it outside to dry.

If it is...erm...

*looks around*

Well...

Vacuum...aire..ner? :eek6:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You'll need to pull it up completely and hang it outside, or it won't ever dry properly. The underside will rot.

Refitting isn't difficult, you just need to hire a knee-kicker and a bolster chisel from a local hardware shop.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Its a fixed carpet. Someone mentioned a dehumidufier? (shocking spelling I know :/) Or would a vac style machine work to suck up the water?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What do you mean, fixed carpet? All carpets should be fixed :)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry I mean it's nailed to the floor with 101 nails and not easy to move or I'll have it outside. (in reply to old.Tohtori's post) :}

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
had a mad idea: you could try putting lots of cat litter grit down. that stuff is hella absorbant. it might help you soak up some of that damp.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Sorry SAS, it'll have to come up. No easy way around it.

Consider claiming on your insurance for a new carpet, and possibly even new flooring.

Will

/bin/su
TdC said:
had a mad idea: you could try putting lots of cat litter grit down. that stuff is hella absorbant. it might help you soak up some of that damp.
164704382_dd85a9f9b0.jpg

Did someone say cat litter?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
SAS said:
Sorry I mean it's nailed to the floor with 101 nails and not easy to move or I'll have it outside. (in reply to old.Tohtori's post) :}

Yeah, nasty those.

Lucky i live in an apartment that has..err...that...plastic..linolineminoum or somenot on it. Just throw a few decorative(read old hand down) rugs and voila. It's basicly the finnish way of building stuff, no fixed stuff.

You could go extreme and just put an air con on it :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Linoleum is paper based, Vinyl is plastic based :)

The former is more expensive but much more environmentally friendly, and contains no real toxins. The latter is cheap, and quite poisonous.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
don't eat your old records kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom