Was crafting the ruination of Daoc?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Sure I see Shike and charmangle's points about ToA being horribly broken with alot of the ML encounters and artifacts. But these new items and abilities also changed the RvR scene alot, it wasn't only for PvE players.

In SI-RvR you usually stuck to these cookie cutter group setups such as hib-pb spam groups, mid savage/zerk assist trains, alb caster groups etc. ToA introduced elements that made such groups not feasible with the ML9 banelord interrupt, grapple, bodyguard and so on. Not only abilities changed how you played, but positioning due to the new shapechanging items was more important than ever. You could run around being basically invisible. Remember the traitor's dagger / shades of mist ghost? Or the atlantis tablet tiny croc?

Due to these new abilities and items the SI-way to play RvR didn't work out anymore and vastly changed how people played. Players had to get creative and play smarter and better. Some would probably argue with me here, but have you seen them old RvR videos? Take a look again. It was a much simpler game back then. (maybe for the better?)

I was both in the PvE camp and RvR camp and enjoyed RvR both before and after ToA came out. Sure it became more of a hassle kitting out toons, but it was still an exciting thing since the expansion was packed full of content. SI gave more zones in total for each realm and alot of fun new challenges, but ToA had all these puzzles and such (broken or not).

Alas, it's no coincidence that the player population died from a very healthy game to less than 1/4 of it's population.... and here we are today. The fun, curious and noobie days of classic camelot gone, excalibur and prydwen servers dead as a fish. Makes me sad thinking of all the fun I had seeing the state of the game now. :(

For some people DAoC doesn't die off though, but I hate having to play german servers or US servers just to get a healthy population. Like it is now, it won't go on forever though.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
:) Great!:) Myself is finally moving together with my gf to a new appartment!:)

Sweet, thats nice man :) Life is a journey and that too is part of that journey, who knows, with time mabye we'll see little MiniUlases running around? ;)

I agree, I dont think that will happen. As you know I dont agree that OF was a fun place to be!;) (I think OF made alot of newbies stay out of RvR because the it enabled the experienced players to farm them at chokeholds.)
But then again I agree that NF might not be the best thing either. Something inbetween maybe...for NF to work there has to be a HUGE population (3000+) on the server) and that is hard to achive. Especially with Laybyrinth introduced.

But Ive actually started playing out abit on Devon cluster, which have about 2k prime time. So might be fun for a while who knows!:)

/Hugs Chammie

Nope we don't agree regarding OF hehe, countless hours on vent about it has assured me of that! ;) NF in my eyes have several problems, its too big and its too laggy! The brigdedesign was awful. The keeps are a pain in the ass aswell. I miss the old relicsystem, it was awesome when the whole realm via good alliancesystems got moving because the relics was under siege, that feeling, the feeling of belonging to a realm full of people that cooperated kindof dissapeared in NF, the relicsystem changed to crap and basically, NF ended up beeing one big bridgecampfest for some reason and that got old really really fast. Sure, the boatsystem had some advantages but NF was a big fail in too many ways to be successful.

Mythics mainproblems as I always saw them in DAoC was:

They released untested things.. TOA! Savages! Warlocks, etc.. can probably list 100 things here that really needed more testing before release and the fixes often took ages to get through for some reason.

The lameass attitude in US towards cheating with radar amongst other things, it took Mythic YEARS to actually acknowledge the problem and start to work against it, during that time shitloads of players in US quit because of Mythics apathy in the matter.

They lost touch with what the players actually liked about DAoC. Instead they pushed in new classes when people was screaming for fixes and balancing of the old ones, pure idiocy if you ask me, it is not better to release a new product when the old is facing problems, especially when people have invested alot of time in the old one already, thats just a lousy bandaid that fixes nothing in the longrun, especially when the new product suffers from even worse balanceissues that take ages to fix. People screamed for balancefixes for the old classes for ages and it took Mythic what.. 4-5 years to get ontop of the problem? Thats just sad.

The teamleaderprogram, it was a complete joke, I cant put it in another way. Some of the teamleaders was idiots and Mythic never reacted and changed it.

Mythics choice of cooperationpartner in EU, GOA. Epic fail, I'll just leave it at that, I think most already know what I mean.

Plus some other things aswell of course, my general point here is, despite all the flaws and errors, DAoC was still a really really good fun game for some time, imagine what it would have been like if Mythic had listened abit more and if we had Mythic running a EUoffice and serverpark? Would probably have been even more awesome! The window of opportunity is now however pretty much gone :)

Martok

Part of the furniture
When TOA first came out there was no way you could cap all resists + all stat caps & then stats + all of the relevant dmg adds (melee speed+dmg+style dmg or magic range + dmg + cast speed). Might have managed to do it for the heal stuff but that I doubt when all the aforementioned are done.

If there was at ToA release then I wasted a lot of time trying to eek every last thing out of a template & then think 'is matter really important'?

I take it you never saw my merc template for ToA 101/101/101/95 didnt need any more to cap quick. all melee bonus 10/10/10 and with all resists at 24/26% due to race bonus.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
I take it you never saw my merc template for ToA 101/101/101/95 didnt need any more to cap quick. all melee bonus 10/10/10 and with all resists at 24/26% due to race bonus.

Like I said earlier - if you got that at ToA release then well done to you.

Now it's stupid easy to do stuff like that & it's something that bugs me immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom