Warning: SPYWARE on catacombs website

S

SamuraiCat

First off, let me say that we are not a "bunch of non-responsible money hungry twats" :p

If there's spyware coming in through a popup via an ad being served up on our site, it's not by our choice, and I can assure you, we hate that crap as much as anyone. I'll let Scarab know and he'll look into it and decide what to do about it.

Next time, instead of posting complaints on our site on another site, where we have to hear about it third-hand, try posting on our own forums - the issue will get addressed sooner :)

--Samurai Cat!
--Catacombs staff

B

Blood

Scarab knows about the incident, i mailed him right away when it happened, then i went here to post, and warn my peers.

As for posting on another sites forum, well i've never used your forums, nor do i know any of the people there, those i wanted to warn, are the people on this forum. So i saw no reason to sign up with on your forum.

Btw. your popups have always been very anoying, it's not the first time i've had it attemt to install stuff (i once had to reinstall my brand newly installed OS, because some weird search engine had replaced Window's F3 - search function), and i've experienced cascades of popups.

but i do feel a bit better after Scarab's reply that you are trying to stop/catch the advertisers doing it.

S

SamuraiCat

Popups are evil, I'll agree wholeheartedly with you there. :)

But... unfortunately... sites like ours cost money to maintain. And since we're not a subscription-based site... we have to run ads. And unfortunately again, not every ad system out there is above-the-line on the moral scale. God forbid that ads on the telly should send a signal down the TV's power cord and into your fridge to make it freak out or something. :p

Scarab keeps an eye on the ad systems we use, and when he learns of one playing fast and loose with their ads, he drops them. Sites like ours are labors of love, and hence, we don't have someone watching everything 24/7. I'm told that the main one we use right now is also used by some other gaming sites/networks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom