Warhammer Online shutting down December 18th

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
DAOC next please.

nah, SWTOR next ;)

the info i got from "someone in the know" was that DAoC was out-performing WAR for ages anyway.
WAR had more players, overall.. but DAoC playerbase x2 (or more, for Bots etc, ) was actually more than WAR players

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
It might not have been the best, but it's the only thing since Cammy that gave me a sense of honor and realm pride. I miss WAR for the 2 years of genuine fun I had, it also gave me the opportunity to meet some really cool people.

I'm not sad it's going, but I'm sad that all the other mmos out there lack what Cammy and WAR gave me, a place for a good old battle after a shitty day at work. They got a lot of things right albeit at different times :p

Karak Hirn was our home and the game was never the same when you merged servers :(

Mabs

It might not have been the best, but it's the only thing since Cammy that gave me a sense of honor and realm pride. I miss WAR for the 2 years of genuine fun I had, it also gave me the opportunity to meet some really cool people.

I'm not sad it's going, but I'm sad that all the other mmos out there lack what Cammy and WAR gave me, a place for a good old battle after a shitty day at work. They got a lot of things right albeit at different times :p

Karak Hirn was our home and the game was never the same when you merged servers :(

cal smells of wee.. but is right :(

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Will be funny to see warhammer and swtor die before daoc.

But seeing as EA are now leaning towards FTP and browser type games it will also ultimately signal the end of DAoC.

Servers were gone to shit anyway.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
SWTOR has a F2P model there, they can keep that going with skeleton crew forever.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
WAR was about the only MMO that was universally disliked. What a total waste of the franchise it was. Nothing was done to addressed the concerns the players had with it. I played for a few weeks with some old Merry Men and I don't think anyone lasted more and than 3-4 months.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Thing is with games that use other existing products as their 'model' IE, Warhammer, Star Wars etc etc, they have to pay the licenses, which probably cost a bit, where as I'd imagine DAOC could run for ever..?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Thing is with games that use other existing products as their 'model' IE, Warhammer, Star Wars etc etc, they have to pay the licenses, which probably cost a bit, where as I'd imagine DAOC could run for ever..?
Yeah. Games Workshop owns the Warhammer Fantasy IP. So even if EA wanted to continue running WAR, GW could have said no. But in this case, neither probably wanted to continue the licensing agreement. Now GW is free to sell the licensing rights for a Warhammer Fantasy MMO to any other company that wants to do this again (third time is the charm?).

DAOC, UO, EQ, all these MMO's where the company owns the IP can run forever. Because there'll still be people paying and playing. As long as the running costs are lower than the revenue (profit), there's no need to shut down. Iirc I read this in Edward Castronova. Synthetic Worlds book. He argued that because solely bringing in revenue gives other positive effects to the company, like the ability to take up loans and such.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Warhammer was shit when it came out, took me 1 hour to figure that out.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Star Wars is an excellent fanchaise but the MMO just sucked for PvP. Should have been epic. I was hoping for big space battles then landing on a station and taking control section by section. Instead we got WoW type PvP shite. WAR at least had open battle zones, agreed it sucked though. Stayed with it a while purely to play with other guildies.

Everz

FH is my second home
If Asherons Call, UO and Everquest are still going then DAoC still has life left.

Fuck.. just make a 1.65 server or even reactivate OF and people will flock back.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I never had as much fun in PvP as I had in Warhammer. I also loved many of the zones. The book thingy with lore, quests and whatnot was also awesome. They had pretty cool public quests. I think it was a good game with a few to many oddities and not enough playerbase and/or end content.
(almost) any game shut down is a loss for the industry.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
If only they'd gotten around to fixing the Magus..... :<

I think it was a good game with a few to many oddities and not enough playerbase and/or end content.

The end content was RvR, because that's what we wanted. They just didn't remember that we also wanted a 3 faction system.

Mabs

If only they'd gotten around to fixing the Magus..... :<

The end content was RvR, because that's what we wanted. They just didn't remember that we also wanted a 3 faction system.

not true
mythic knew what we wanted, Games Workshop was changing the Rulebook on Warhammer to make it Order and Destruction instead of the much more complicated Enemies,Allies, Neutral system that was in place before, so it was tied into that to be more "correct"
was entirely the IP police and nothing to do with anyone else

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Could have lived with the 2 side thing if the gameplay was any good. It failed because it was boring.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Good fun when it wasn't bug ridden shite. Mythic know how to create an environment that encourages realm/team pride. They just suck at programming, especially interfaces. I don't think I'm ever forgiving them for city sieges, possibly one of the worst designed and implemented 'epic' experiences ever.

Sorry for the people who may be out of jobs but am more surprised it lasted this long.

rynnor

Rockhound
I don't think I'm ever forgiving them for city sieges, possibly one of the worst designed and implemented 'epic' experiences ever.

Yeah - I liked the game mostly but after fighting for hours to reach a bugged city siege it got a tad discouraging - I'm sure they knew the state it was in when released which is a shame.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Scraping out some solo fights was fun on my squig herder, battlegrounds were a good laugh (when it was even) but the city sieges were just the buggiest shit ever.
I think people give it a hard time but there was more fun to be had there than in GW2 and that gets so much praise.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I think people give it a hard time but there was more fun to be had there than in GW2 and that gets so much praise.

No GW2 had it's share of shit thrown at it. The difference was that ArenaNet actually sorted their issues out instead of simply deleting content like Mythic did with the fort sieges for example..

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
warhammer had some great ideas but the tipping point for me was the end game RvR what was it 40 or 100 player limit for the last fort battle which turned out to be a complete pve fest? the zone rvr was epic on a scale to daoc unfortunately it didnt have the community daoc had.
shame to see it go but its for the best i guess. long live daoc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom