Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

rynnor

Rockhound
Anyone remember this old tabletop rpg system - I think they re-released it recently too :)

The main unique feature of the system was the profession system - you started in a basic career in one of 4 archetypes - basically warrior/scout/academic/rogue but you could have a career like student (with consume alcohol skill! or bawd - a guide to the sleazy brothels of large towns n cities - or disease resistant rat catchers with your own ratting dog :)

After completing your basic career you then had a list of career exits - some were to other basic careers and some were to advanced careers - so for example you couldnt become a wizard without having completed a wizards apprentice career.

It sounds like they have adapted this system to the MMO.

Anyone else played WFRP?

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
I ran the Enemy Within campaign in the late 80's with some mates. Took us nearly two years on and off to get as far as Kislev I think it was (though we did stop regularly to play Paranoia! - one of the funniest RPGs ever imo). I've still got the 500-odd page hardback manual, plus most of the campaign in the loft somewhere.

WFRPG was a great roleplay game in that you were rewarded more by actually playing a character than by killing things. We had one guy permanently talking with a stutter after he got some miserable roll on a fear effect. Oh, and you had to pay someone to train you in order to learn more skills, which was a great way to keep the cash-flow at a minimum after the group spent ages just buying and selling in order to make huge profits.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
This is a bit of a blast-from-the-past :)

Remember having an outrider many moons ago when me and some friends played this game. Sad to think we actually did the whole atmospheric roleplay thing for a while but at that time RPG's were a reasonaby new concept. Amusing to think that at the time the only people associated with RPG's were geeks and it was thought it was limited to a handfull of social rejects. We were very much the opposite 4 of the 6 were starters in the rugby team including the captain, one was the swim captain (my girlfriend at the time) and I was starting goalkeeper for the college team.

Thanks to the internet we can see that there are (and, like us, most probably always were) many million such players worldwide and the vast majority are perfectly normal people, most with families, but back then it was a pretty cloak-and-dagger thing. None of us ever wanted to admit in public that we played these games and did nothing to disuade those who villified those "geeks" who had the same hobby.

Strange how times change, a few years ago it was homosexuality people were afraid/ashamed to admit, in many ways it's much the same social atrophy as geekish tendancies....say it with me loud and proud "I AM A GEEK!" :)

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
"I AM A GEEK!" :)

Yeah i thought about that myself sometimes too! Well i have only played Daoc and SWG, but (hehehe this is WORSE then real RPG) also Magic Trading Card Game. When me and my buddy realized hey, this aint so bad, this is a normal hobby in THIS century, we werent afraid to tell people, i play computer games i pay money to play every month, caus i knew they might done it or heard of other friends that did.

I wont say im a geek, but i do it on a better way, "I am a person with two social lifes, one is online the internet, and one is the real life!"

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
The system was one of the better frp systems of the time imo.

The world was the first rpg to be totally dark and dirty. Doing the right thing in WHFRP often got you dead quick :)

it's still produced under license by hogshead productions if anyone wants to track it down, sht, I say was. GW have pulled the license back in house. I bet you any money they re-release it to coincide with the game. Sneaky sneaky bastards :)

M

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
It's still going :)

Black Industries (Green Ronin publishing) updated and redid WFRP last year or so. They changed very little of the core rules (moved some professions around, changed combat a little, got rid of some never used skills) and certainly, if you enjoyed the original (1986) version, you'd like the new one just as much :)

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
`mongoose said:
it's still produced under license by hogshead productions if anyone wants to track it down, sht, I say was. GW have pulled the license back in house. I bet you any money they re-release it to coincide with the game. Sneaky sneaky bastards :)
Hogshead stopped doing it a fair while ago and what they did do was mostly rerelease the original material from what I remember! Green Ronin (and Black Industries) do it now and produce a lot of new material for it.

There's also a W40k rpg in the works :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom