Warhammer Beta timings

eble

Fledgling Freddie
lifted from http://www.warhammeralliance.com/

of special interest is beta 2 spring 2007 special mention of daoc players getting beta invite.

'Here are some handy definitions of what the different phases of beta are. Also provide, for the first time, some extremely vague and tentative dates. Some of you have already won betas, and to spare you the whole "having to read" thing, you are listed as "Early Spring 2007." In theory and indeed in schedule, it may be sooner than that, but Sanya is a bitter, cranky, old community weenie who has been through many betas, and she no longer believes in anything she can't grasp in her withered talons.

Alpha: What we are in now. I made the grievous error of calling it a very early beta, for which I am terminally sorry. I will regret that until I die. Alpha does not have anyone playing who does not draw a paycheck from Mythic.

Double Secret Beta: What we will be in "Soon, TM." That is just beyond alpha, and includes people who draw paychecks from Mythic and our partners. Summer 2006

First Stage of Closed Beta (Beta 1): Sometimes called "Friends and Family," somewhat inaccurately, this is a stage where there is actually a game, but it is not usually very complete or even stable for that matter. People who don't work here are in this stage, but usually fewer than a hundred, and they are nearly all such old, old friends that they are often mistaken for employees. Fall 2006

Beta 1.7: After Things Stop Going Boom Every Day: This is the stage you'll start seeing community testers. People who have tested for Mythic for years, or have been otherwise recommended to us as quality volunteer testers, are starting to be included. There is usually a restriction on how many people get in at this point, and often perfectly wonderful people are left out. TENTATIVE DATE: Early 2007

Beta 2: Still closed and covered under NDA, invitees include prize winners, guilds that win the guild contest, and some members of the print and web media - usually the ones we have relationships with. People who work at GW retail shops are getting in here, and we've got some plans for existing Dark Age of Camelot players to be invited to check out their new sibling. There will be up to a thousand people by the end of Beta 2. TENTATIVE DATE: Early Spring 2007

Beta 3: Closed, NDA. This is where Lady Luck will wave her wand. We will be choosing randomly from the giant pool of people who are subscribed to our newsletter. This phase will have thousands of people invited, possibly as many as ten thousand. TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007

Final Beta: No NDA. Because there is no NDA, people often refer to this as "open beta." But I wanted to be really clear with you guys - we are not planning the kind of open beta where everyone with internet access can download the game and hop in. That's nutty. Right now, we are tentatively considering having everyone who pre-orders the game invited to this phase of beta. This phase will also invite winners from our big media promotions. TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007'

Do you think the whole daoc invite to beta is a hint we best move before pushed? discuss

Eble

Chronictank

FH is my second home
probably to a select few tbh,
most likely E&E or some sort of Mythic support like tl's etc..
if its just a thousand or so slots

eble

Fledgling Freddie
they are saying beta3 will have 10k people in it.

thats a fair amount tbh.

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
Will we have to have subs on our DAoC account to be included or?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Beta 2: Still closed and covered under NDA, invitees include prize winners, guilds that win the guild contest, and some members of the print and web media - usually the ones we have relationships with. People who work at GW retail shops are getting in here, and we've got some plans for existing Dark Age of Camelot players to be invited to check out their new sibling. There will be up to a thousand people by the end of Beta 2. TENTATIVE DATE: Early Spring 2007
So only up to a thousand for beta 2 when the daoc players are offered the places, as i said before most likely e&e and tl's

Beta 3: Closed, NDA. This is where Lady Luck will wave her wand. We will be choosing randomly from the giant pool of people who are subscribed to our newsletter. This phase will have thousands of people invited, possibly as many as ten thousand. TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007
Is open to everyone who has subscribed to the newsletter no preferential treatment

eble

Fledgling Freddie
well there has been a lot of talk of guilds getting invites and the like, i'm guessing if beta 2 is 1000 people then mostly US based players will get the nob, but who knows.

GOA will be running the same version as Mythic/EA so I guess they might do a little beta test aswell -

'If' WAR takes off I think DAOC will be stuffed in the corner office at Mythic and have the door closed on it.. imagine the resources needed if WAR gets 250k players right off the bat.

I've got no real Idea of the numbers they are targetting but you can bet every WAR shop across the world will be talking to there customers and getting em signed up.

grabbed this from GAme Workshops our webby

'Products are sold through our own chain of 250 + Hobby Centers and by more than 3,500 independent toy and hobby shops around the world. These outlets are complemented by our growing mail order and online sales businesses.

Eble

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
eble said:
'Products are sold through our own chain of 250 + Hobby Centers and by more than 3,500 independent toy and hobby shops around the world. These outlets are complemented by our growing mail order and online sales businesses.

Eble

I would imagine that GW made it clear they HAD to sell there product through the shops... no doubt a large number of the Beta Testers will be the kids playing in the GW areas (perhaps they'll do signups in the shops or through the White Dwarf Mag.)

Is this news just for US though or EU as well? 'cos Euro GW is bigger than US, or so I believe.

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Dreamor said:
I would imagine that GW made it clear they HAD to sell there product through the shops... no doubt a large number of the Beta Testers will be the kids playing in the GW areas (perhaps they'll do signups in the shops or through the White Dwarf Mag.)

Is this news just for US though or EU as well? 'cos Euro GW is bigger than US, or so I believe.

GW is UK. Its a British company. UK > US.

So its likely that they will take that into consideration, however Mythic is running the show (GW arn't organising the Beta schedules or numbers), so really it could go either way.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
eble said:
they are saying beta3 will have 10k people in it.

thats a fair amount tbh.

no, they are saying that beta 3 will POSSIBLY have 10k ppl in it :)

so dont count on it.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Ryuno said:
GW is UK. Its a British company. UK > US.

So its likely that they will take that into consideration, however Mythic is running the show (GW arn't organising the Beta schedules or numbers), so really it could go either way.

I would imagin they will organise some in store comp's for a few beta places. Might have to dust off my 2000 point Black Templar army xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom