Warcraft Movie

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Reviews are surfacing, so far it's not looking good... pretty much all saying the same thing: It's shit.

I think Kotaku of all things gave a good description

"The fundamental flaw in Warcraft is the same flaw we find in most video game movies: it takes itself too seriously. These games are set in a world full of in-jokes and surreal humour, one that’s inhabited by a race of giant panda bears because the developers at Blizzard really liked one of their own April Fool’s jokes. Even when the Warcraftgames get dark, and they do get dark, they’ve always been adept at having fun with their players. The film does no such thing. If only this film had the charm of a Warcraftunit who’s been clicked too many times."

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Everyone knows it will be garbage, don't need reviews to tell us that.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Everyone knows it will be garbage, don't need reviews to tell us that.

Aye, I said it'd be shit the moment they announced it... nice to see I was right trololololol.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was curious what the view of actual Warcraft/WoW players would be about this. I was never a player and the trailers looked absolutely terrible to me. Even ignoring the fantasy angle which is entirely subjective, it just looks shitty; weird colour palette and cartoony CGI.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I'm looking forward to it. I am an easy to please cinema goer so I think it will be fun.

The reviewer has obviously never read the books which are not 'fun' like the games (so I'm told). Duncan Jones had said on many occasions that the film would be more gritty and that is what I'm expecting... If viewers are expecting the film to emulate the game I think they will be disappointed.... I am going this weekend I'll update once we have seen them. Kris has read all the books except Illiden so he will have a more critical view.

Yoni

I have just scrolled through many reviews in Reddit and so far it seems to be a crowd pleaser (both players and non players). There are some criticisms from both viewpoints but it looks like I'll have a fun night (it will not be as shite as batman vs superman) :p

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I think it would have been better if the story was about Arthas but that's just me. The trailer doesn't look good, probably won't watch.

Yoni

I think it would have been better if the story was about Arthas but that's just me. The trailer doesn't look good, probably won't watch.
They have more planned and yes the LK story could be awesome

Lakih

Resident Freddy
"Professional" reviews are for the most part pretty pointless imo. I'll probably watch it and make up my own mind.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Trailers were so bad I'm not surprised.

Mark Kermode can definitely be trusted. Even if you don't like his taste he's consistent - so if you listen regularly you can figure out whether you'll enjoy a film he's not fussed with.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
What happened to the DAOC movie.
would actually be a lot less silly.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Trailers were so bad I'm not surprised.

Mark Kermode can definitely be trusted. Even if you don't like his taste he's consistent - so if you listen regularly you can figure out whether you'll enjoy a film he's not fussed with.
Why should i listen regularly when i am more than capable of making my own mind up.

Baring in mind i rarely pay for cinema tickets

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
What happened to the DAOC movie.
would actually be a lot less silly.

It'd be shit, the movie would start then once nightfall came it'd just be 300 cunts running around on stick until the end of the movie :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why should i listen regularly when i am more than capable of making my own mind up.
For regular cinemagoers you can waste a lot of cash on chod.

A top quality intelligent critic you know and understand not only saves you cash on wank but also puts you on to stuff you may never have considered - widening your horizons.

If you don't go to the cinema and just pirate then fair enough - it won't save you any cash. But the other point still holds.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It streamed it ony to find the stream was Sacha Cohrns Grimsby...which was a lot better than I expected.

Yoni

As I thought, it wasn't close to the shite that was Batman vs Superman.... We saw it in 2D and there was a little bit of motion sickness for me. I am a player and have done so consistently for 11 years (or is it 12...since first Beta) and I loved it. The detail on the orcs was phenomenal the story consistent (with a fez exceptions) with lore. I can't say if a Warcraft virgin will enjoy it... There are a lot of characters introduced and a few 'in jokes'.... I want to see now where they go with it so I hope they continue \o/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That'll be entirely dependent on financial success.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Wow, the most cunt interviewer you've ever clapped eyes on, who pissed in his cornflakes to make him be such a twat?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I take it back @Yoni. I enjoyed it.

I can see why it didn't particularly fly with western audiences and non-gamers - it's utter nonsense - but from someone who once played it was a fun watch.

What I still feel tho is that film movie tie-ins are a waste of time - it was a good story and an enjoyable watch but it felt so limited.

Compared to experiencing more, wider-breadth and deeper Warcraft stories from the standpoint of living and adventuring in the world yourself? Pathetically shallow and unfulfilling.

It's really shown me that games can be much the greater experiential artform in all aspects. Story, emotion, visual impact, involvement and depth of experience.

But as a two hour throwaway thing to do - Zowie Bowie done good :)

Last edited:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Some of the stuff I didn't really understand since I haven't played WoW.

Like the intro was confusing 'Humans and Orcs have been fighting for ever' 'Oh, what are these Orc things?' Did it mean on the separate world/continent w/e?

Also a bit more of a backstory to the Orc side of things would have been more interesting, if I've figured it out correctly, Orcs are 'whiter' but because of the green magic shit, that's why they turn green? - That could have been made a bit more obvious that it becomes the 'norm'

Otherwise, it was pretty good. :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'll give it a miss and rewatch the Hardhome GoT episode instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom