War????

censi

Can't get enough of FH
what masnitch is describing is what origin did when they created UO....

Problem is that the game designers seem to be more or less building very similiar games that although have different worlds and different classes, are more or less the same thing.

Anyone who played UO seriously knows the gameplay and end game were totally awsome and innovative.

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
Anyways. I checked some of the latest vids online ...

and i am seriously leaning towards Conan rather than that ... thing.. :/

MegaMaejter

Banned
what masnitch is describing is what origin did when they created UO....

Problem is that the game designers seem to be more or less building very similiar games that although have different worlds and different classes, are more or less the same thing.

Anyone who played UO seriously knows the gameplay and end game were totally awsome and innovative.

Hence people should direct their attention to AoC. The makers of UO is in the loop, and also makers of EQ. Two great games that been here forever and were innovative when they came. DAoC was innovative when it came aswell, what Mythic is doing now makes no sense to me.
Why would I wanna play a WoW copy when I already play WoW?. And if I don't like WoW to start with why would I wanna try out WAR, again?

Makes no sense at all to me. And for the people that says it is nothing like WoW or it is ineed innovative I have a few things to ask:

- Elfs, dwarfs, darkelfs ( obviously WoW Bloodelfs ), Humans and Orcs.
- Two realms fighting
- Open land PvP ( not RvR but PVP , same as WoW) that failed abit in WoW and the little I seen as of late ,in WoW, its more simular to the way people had PvP in Diablo II, where you arrange tours/Team VS Team fights in an instanced zone.

- The over all class story is simular to WoW and in some manner to DAoC. Elfs, dwarfs bla bla bla, enough is enough :d..
- Then we got the Graphics, well WAR is prittier but it's just an uppgrade compared to WoW. A game that is beeing released in 2008 and NO Directx10??!, "Go US lulz" :/

Shit game tbh tht WAR, I might be wrong now but if it looks like shit, smells like shit why whouldn't it be just, shit?

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
- Then we got the Graphics, well WAR is prittier but it's just an uppgrade compared to WoW. A game that is beeing released in 2008 and NO Directx10??!, "Go US lulz" :/

Y'know,if it all was "Crysis" like graphic noone would be able to play this :p mmo's have bit more variables than some tunnel shooter :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Y'know,if it all was "Crysis" like graphic noone would be able to play this :p mmo's have bit more variables than some tunnel shooter :(

About the same amount of 1337 14 year old kids that think they are pr0!

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Well I'm no expert on the history of gaming of anysort, but the whole 'warhammer' franchise it seemed to me was just a whole regurgitation of tolkien/D&D thing anyhow. Initially, for a tabletop miniture wargame, and then you had warhammer 40k and a tabletop roleplaying game, etc. Not getting snotty btw, enjoyed the miniture game. What I'm am getting at, is any game based on it was never gonna be innovative or intended to be such, will be like the warhammer world itself, a hodgepodge of lowest common denominator stuff.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
About the same amount of 1337 14 year old kids that think they are pr0!

You saying i'm not pro!? :(

will be like the warhammer world itself, a hodgepodge of lowest common denominator stuff.

Warhammer will have fitting theme for RvR game atleast :p

OT for Warhammer lore: Is the Emperor the same guy on both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k? Been playing Dark Crusade bit too much lately.

Fanguir

Fledgling Freddie
Well guess DAoC is still the best MMORG game ever made, dunno if a DAoC II is something we should want. Makes me think about other games that has a sequel..think about why Everquest became Everhate. Often u like the first one and the second looks fine but.. in the end of the day the original game is often the best...

Stay with DAoC ftw:)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Its too early to give proper impressions on WAR at all, from any perspective, beta testing dudes like us only have a small sample of the game so far, theres a lot of mechanics missing yet so dont shoot it down because you got a 5 minute blast on it. Beta testers for early WoW came out with similar opinions and look at the end result.

One thing I do get cheesed with is peoples miconceptions that "so and so stole XXX from so and so", all games take aspects from other games, in every genre, there are so few games coming out that are unique in their approach unless you happen to like baking cakes for a virtual mother on a handheld of course. WOW has nothing original - I wish I could find the forum again where this was debated, classic read of some WOW fanboi getting shot down in flames with 1 liners each time he said "WOW did XXX first dammit!!!".

Sadly todays MMO player doesnt have the patience for what they are about, which is a background story of 2 enemies throwing rattles at one another with a shed load of history rolling past in the background. No one these days in any of the genre takes time to read stories, follow plot lines and imerse themselves in the world before them. Instead the game has filled with people itching to WTFPWN those they dislike on forums, hence emotes being such an integral part of the games these days.

Everyone talks about "end game", which kinda finalises the fun you were having, twink ya toon and thats it. The games makers are semi responsible for this, DAoC is a classic example. Take the old days (pre SI), we killed each other with ROGs, wore whatever dropped from purple mobs cause they was well 'ard, and went to battle for fun, twating mechanics didnt even come into it. We all made freinds with random players not giving a damn about what they were wearing or the size of their template-penis, or what uber /use they had. Back then we had fun, I still do but not to the degree I had, as now without all the twinks, dying isnt as much of a laugh.

The genre is old now, squeezing much newness out of it is going to be tough, one mans ideals conflict with anothers, some enjoy the PvE some dont, there will always be conflicting opions on how these games shoudl progress.

WAR I belive wont beat WoW, but as thats kinda had its glory days, its time for people to move on, much the same as DAoC players did when WOW was released. People move on because where they are is growing stale, s fresh pastures are always tempting. If it gets the numbers WOW did, then great, if not, at least its a change.

As for DAoC, I think a few will hang it out, I love the game, always will, but I liek being with my freinds more, and where theres more of them, thats where I will head.

My advice, totally ignore any beta tester (prolly me included), and wait and see, try it and judge for yourself. Beta testers only have a 50% view of the release, and should be treated as unreliable.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
I am quite sure that what you wrote is an urban legend. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I have yet to see a game from Blizzard that was shite and did not convince the market.

As far I remeber it World of Warcraft was supposed to be an adventure first, I don't know what happened to that.

The whole middle-earth style Orc/Elf thingy exists since centuries, even way before Tolkien.

Anyway, I'd be interested in reading some substantial info on Blizzard not being able to deliver to Games Workshop's quality demands.

Perhaps my use of the word ‘shite’ was more of a way to sum up what Warhammer thought of the game as it actually turned into Warcraft perhaps they were wrong 

Anyway just google and you will find loads of info on the “Blizzard” borrowed artistic licence from Warhammer etc.

Warhammer Info - FAQ

“What the crap, WAR copied WoW's graphic style!!!
Try it the other way around. Warhammer was designed in 1983 and copied a lot of its style from Tolkien's works. Several years later, Blizzard wanted to build a Warhammer RTS game for the computer. The IP-licensing deal unfortunately fell through at the last minute. Rather than scrap all their work, Blizzard changed its art style and setting a little bit and called it Warcraft, their own unique IP. In the end, everything copies or takes cues from somewhere else, whether it is Warcraft or Warhammer. Deal with it”.

Hope it puts you mind at ease Mani.

Eble

censi

Can't get enough of FH
Take the old days (pre SI), we killed each other with ROGs, wore whatever dropped from purple mobs cause they was well 'ard, and went to battle for fun, twating mechanics didnt even come into it. We all made freinds with random players not giving a damn about what they were wearing or the size of their template-penis, or what uber /use they had. Back then we had fun, I still do but not to the degree I had, as now without all the twinks, dying isnt as much of a laugh.

You could still spot a newb from clip range by what weapon he was wielding and the color of his armour :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Perhaps my use of the word ‘shite’ was more of a way to sum up what Warhammer thought of the game as it actually turned into Warcraft perhaps they were wrong 

Anyway just google and you will find loads of info on the “Blizzard” borrowed artistic licence from Warhammer etc.

Warhammer Info - FAQ

Hope it puts you mind at ease Mani.

Eble

Oh well, thanks for the info. Warcraft was 1994, World of Warcraft 10 years later. Kinda strange argument, but okay.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Oh well, thanks for the info. Warcraft was 1994, World of Warcraft 10 years later. Kinda strange argument, but okay.

I guess two parts to this argument, people saying Warcraft copied Warhammer 'correct' (My argument was over artistic licence) Green orcs etc. not over game design.

Then later a fair bit later, WOW was released and now WAR is in production and people relate the two again, now tho assuming WAR copied WOW which in content is incorrect.

But and its a big but, the more that is known of WAR, we find its following the way WOW 'worked' i.e flag players etc, so lots of copying going round and round.

Eble

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
is there an NDA in place for war beta testers? - cos if there is you guys need to be careful in giving out any details / opinions on WAR :)

Tip

One of Freddy's beloved
I havent been playing DAOC for some time, and i am also interested where people will end up in WAR so keep me in the loop for when it opens and what servers people will end up on, me and Aim have deffo decided on the dark side this time, so any doac guilds looking to home us please get in touch when the time is near :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom