War????

Fanguir

Fledgling Freddie
Whats this thing about "see u in war...blah blah blææææhhhhh!!!"?

I tried war (I am one of the lucky Beta players) , and I am not that much impressed by it yet, Daoc is better much better.

By the looks its very much like WoW, it got nice gfx blah blah but...compared to Daoc...Daoc wins!

Just want to know what u peps that r trying WAR think about it compared to Daoc?

saitoh

Loyal Freddie
what jeros said

but wow is the mmo that made tons of cash so all the other mmos that come after wow will try to mimic it , we just have to hope that war will be rvr-oriented in the end .

(dont forget that daoc's ra system came after its release etc)

Alexandrinus

Fledgling Freddie
i thought WAR will bring something special into this kind of games.
Huge lands with Zones where per example people can build up places like they want , 30k players on one server action in very different parts of the World...im missing the bigger perspective.
... but it looks it will be a modified WoW or DAOC :-(

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
You should rather ask this on some beta board,kinda hard to say what i think when i haven't even played it yet.

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
If it ends up like even a distant WoW-clone... i hope they fail patheticly...and be forced to give us what we really want !!

D.A.O.C. II

Logi

Part of the furniture
afaik WAR was in the making earlier then WoW, so basically WoW copied WAR.. read it somewhere but i might be wrong ^^

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
who cares :)

give a 'new' daoc.

-Reworked PvE maybe
-Reworked RA system
-Reworked a bit towards more balance
-Make stealthers work better, and give penalty if grped
-Make rp distribution reflect effort put in :)
-Reworked OF, but not NF style rvr.
-Not THAT many pointless expansions.
-Keep graffics cool, not cartoon/wow like, tho i didnt really like the catacombs+ models that much. ToA client is all i wanted :)

at least imo.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
who cares :)

give a 'new' daoc.

-Reworked PvE maybe
-Reworked RA system
-Reworked a bit towards more balance
-Make stealthers work better, and give penalty if grped
-Make rp distribution reflect effort put in :)
-Reworked OF, but not NF style rvr.
-Not THAT many pointless expansions.
-Keep graffics cool, not cartoon/wow like, tho i didnt really like the catacombs+ models that much. ToA client is all i wanted :)

at least imo.

Yeah, but they can't give chartransfer so I cba :(

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
i meant..all this as part of a totally new game. DAOC 2 : the cequel.
And ofc should that "heavenly" day come.. US/mythic servers.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Really don't see the big deal with War, looks crap like most other competitive mmorpg's on the market at moment sadly.

RL for teh win.

chrispy

It's my birthday today!
warhammer online by gameshop before mythic was in 2004 the writing stage before they went bankrupt well game side any way cos i have bin waitingfor warhammer for ages.
:england:

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
War really should have third realm if you ask me,it adds to the "what will we meet today" experience when you know you can expect 2 other realms to be there.

devaline

Fledgling Freddie
'm another beta tester... and tbh i dont like war like i loved daoc at it's good times.
All i can say is hat DAOC has the best rvr system nowdays

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
ah well just read it somewhere, so the dude who said it is wrong, i just quoted :)

Right and wrong I think :)

Mani is right that WAR wasn't in the making before WOW (The MMO that is)

But WOW did copy almost everything from WAR before, even down to green orcs :) It was a long story but blizzard were asked to make a game for WAR but it was shite, blizzard made the best use of all there hard work and made the WOW franchises.

So your both right in a round about sort of fashion.

Eble

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta admit i found the combat mechanics in war a tad... simplistic and boring :( Doesnt look like they plan to add action and reaction techniques to the combat like you have in daoc...i.e styles dependant on evade/parry type of thing. The only sort of varaince is the combo's/ style follow-ups but even they were quite linear. It is beta though and may well get more sophosticated.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Gotta admit i found the combat mechanics in war a tad... simplistic and boring :( Doesnt look like they plan to add action and reaction techniques to the combat like you have in daoc...i.e styles dependant on evade/parry type of thing. The only sort of varaince is the combo's/ style follow-ups but even they were quite linear. It is beta though and may well get more sophosticated.
Well, general direction in daoc patches lately has been to simplify melee combat, archery? Wouldn't be suprised if they keep it simple.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Right and wrong I think :)

Mani is right that WAR wasn't in the making before WOW (The MMO that is)

But WOW did copy almost everything from WAR before, even down to green orcs :) It was a long story but blizzard were asked to make a game for WAR but it was shite, blizzard made the best use of all there hard work and made the WOW franchises.

So your both right in a round about sort of fashion.

Eble

I am quite sure that what you wrote is an urban legend. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I have yet to see a game from Blizzard that was shite and did not convince the market.

As far I remeber it World of Warcraft was supposed to be an adventure first, I don't know what happened to that.

The whole middle-earth style Orc/Elf thingy exists since centuries, even way before Tolkien.

Anyway, I'd be interested in reading some substantial info on Blizzard not being able to deliver to Games Workshop's quality demands.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Well, general direction in daoc patches lately has been to simplify melee combat, archery? Wouldn't be suprised if they keep it simple.

That's shame,reactional styles were great idea to add something into melee .

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

The problem with Warhammer is no innovation. I have yet to see one innovative feature. Trying to get some of the WoW-market doesn't scream for innovation though :O.

It all feels like "played it before" - just different graphics.

Before you ask me what I consider innovative, well stuff like:

- no levels (attribute/skill/spell-raising-system instead like in Shadowrun),
- large shards like in EVE (30k+ players at the same time),
- a real crit system (like in Rolemaster),
- no need to group in order to play together (like in Tabula Rasa e.g.),
- PvP everywhere but with consequences (you start fighting in capital city, the guards will kill you before or after your got your target unless it's an allowed war, like in EVE),
- no name/color tagging (maybe the rat you're trying to kill is a shape shifted experienced mage),
- real role playing, a Sun Shaman has it easier to cast when the sun is shining, traders and crafters trade and craft mainly, fully twinked PvP chars with 32 LGM titles is just so bullshit, I'd rather get rich by crafting when I'd want to craft and pay off some Mercs to go for my targets,
- which leads me to a needed real conflict scenario, where parties can be eliminated from the game for good (see EVE again, where alliances raise and fall, not like in DAoC where you have a eternal non-sense conflict where you don't fight for anything at all (no real ressources, territory, no death penalties),
- no leveling/quest simulator a.k.a. "our game engine has a scripting-facility-weeee!",
- no simple this is our direct damage, this is our area of effect direct damage, this is our damage over time, this is our heal, this is our group/area heal, this is our heal over time, this is our crowd control borness, give Rifts/Shadowrun like spells behaviour, where you can wreck whole buildings with one shot/spell or where you can cast shields upon you that protect you from nuclear nukes,
- no global chat system in a medieval fantasy MMORPG please coupled with a portal system, make people actualy go to somewhere, scout enemy lines, distrubute forces to protect territory, make travel time sensible, but make it a part of the world, nothing worse than one guy getting ganked by 40 and than he is screaming on some kind of alliance chat and everybody in and his MSN-buddy friend log in to the game, port to the area with 200 people off and kill the 40.

Hope you get my ideas, for me the MMORPG market is in a bad shape at the moment, it could be so much more if the gaming companies wouldn't run with dollar signs on their eyes.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
The problem with Warhammer is no innovation. I have yet to see one innovative feature. Trying to get some of the WoW-market doesn't scream for innovation though :O.

It all feels like "played it before" - just different graphics.

Before you ask me what I consider innovative, well stuff like:

- no levels (attribute/skill/spell-raising-system instead like in Shadowrun),
- large shards like in EVE (30k+ players at the same time),
- a real crit system (like in Rolemaster),
- no need to group in order to play together (like in Tabula Rasa e.g.),
- PvP everywhere but with consequences (you start fighting in capital city, the guards will kill you before or after your got your target unless it's an allowed war, like in EVE),
- no name/color tagging (maybe the rat you're trying to kill is a shape shifted experienced mage),
- real role playing, a Sun Shaman has it easier to cast when the sun is shining, traders and crafters trade and craft mainly, fully twinked PvP chars with 32 LGM titles is just so bullshit, I'd rather get rich by crafting when I'd want to craft and pay off some Mercs to go for my targets,
- which leads me to a needed real conflict scenario, where parties can be eliminated from the game for good (see EVE again, where alliances raise and fall, not like in DAoC where you have a eternal non-sense conflict where you don't fight for anything at all (no real ressources, territory, no death penalties),
- no leveling/quest simulator a.k.a. "our game engine has a scripting-facility-weeee!",
- no simple this is our direct damage, this is our area of effect direct damage, this is our damage over time, this is our heal, this is our group/area heal, this is our heal over time, this is our crowd control borness, give Rifts/Shadowrun like spells behaviour, where you can wreck whole buildings with one shot/spell or where you can cast shields upon you that protect you from nuclear nukes,
- no global chat system in a medieval fantasy MMORPG please coupled with a portal system, make people actualy go to somewhere, scout enemy lines, distrubute forces to protect territory, make travel time sensible, but make it a part of the world, nothing worse than one guy getting ganked by 40 and than he is screaming on some kind of alliance chat and everybody in and his MSN-buddy friend log in to the game, port to the area with 200 people off and kill the 40.

Hope you get my ideas, for me the MMORPG market is in a bad shape at the moment, it could be so much more if the gaming companies wouldn't run with dollar signs on their eyes.

I don't think anyone can even begin to argue that WAR is innovative in it's basic design, because it simply isnt.

If you take away all the fluff and cut em right to the bare bones, essentially fantasy mmorpg's haven't really changed much at all over the years. Then again, neither have FPS's or pretty much any other game genre. The graphics get prettier, the interface gets better, a few novel bells and whistles are added to differentiate the products, but nothing significant is different.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I don't think anyone can even begin to argue that WAR is innovative in it's basic design, because it simply isnt.

If you take away all the fluff and cut em right to the bare bones, essentially fantasy mmorpg's haven't really changed much at all over the years. Then again, neither have FPS's or pretty much any other game genre. The graphics get prettier, the interface gets better, a few novel bells and whistles are added to differentiate the products, but nothing significant is different.

Yes, I fully agree, it's the case with most games. Some games have interesting features at least, that's and the social factor is what makes us playing them I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom