War on show 2008!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Some of you may have seen it already but the European show schedule was posted recently on the news site.

More shows may be added later so keep checking to see if we'll be anywhere near you this year.

WAR News said:
These are the shows that we are currently confirmed for in 2008:

Games Day Spain
February 17th, Barcelona/Spain

Games Day France
April 20th, Paris/France

Roleplay Convention
April 26th/27th, Münster/Germany

Games Day Germany
August, Köln/Germany

Games Convention
August 20th – 24th, Leipzig/Germany

Festival du Jeu Video
September 19th – 21st, Paris/France

Games Day Great Britain
September 21st, Birmingham/UK

rynnor

Rockhound
I heartily reccomend everyone sub 25 attend one of these in order to point n laugh - you will never see such a terrible collection of facial hair and leather hats anywhere else in your life! (and thats just the staff!)

Alas I am now too old to go personally but feel free to attend and post pics - I may award a small prize for such categories as Worst Beard, Fashion Unconsciousness, Morbid Obesity and Sideshow freak :p

Truely it is a heartwarming experience - I cannot think of the one I went to without a tear forming in my eye's :)

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
Birmingham.... whats wrong with london, or just Essex ! :)

Truth being, i dont think i would attend either way, the pub is closer, and has just as many orcs in it.

edit: how come germany get extra luving ?

Himse

FH is my second home
Birmingham.... whats wrong with london, or just Essex ! :)

Truth being, i dont think i would attend either way, the pub is closer, and has just as many orcs in it.

edit: how come germany get extra luving ?

Birmz is like the center of the country

waj n0ts? :O

[UKLans]Khan

Fledgling Freddie
We have to wait a long time but I may attend this one. I read a lot of the Warhammer books and i'm very interested in WAR but not really the modeling side of things, is there still lots to do?

Regards,

Khan

Spongey

Fledgling Freddie
im gonna pop down to the birmingham one i live in the west midlands area birmingham is a couple of hours away looking forward to it.
do u have to get tickets or can u just turn up

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
I would go to the one in Bham but I suspect I will be to busy playing the game ;)

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
These shows is more to promote the game for those that doesn't already follow it.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
IainC, if Q2 is still the time when WAR is supposed to be release, we shouldn't really care about most of these Warhammer on tour dates, should we? Or should I read between the lines that it is delayed again?

IainC

We'll be taking the game on tour even after release, the tour schedule for 2009, 2010 etc will likely look just the same. We took DAoC to games shows all the time after release as well.

The timing of the shows isn't set by us. The Gamesday events are run by Games Workshop, the others are national events organised years in advance. The dates of the shows are usually the same every year and we try to be at as many of them as possible.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Plus it might bring in new players, that way we will have n00bs to go chicken peck :p

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
We took DAoC to games shows all the time after release as well.

Ahh so thats where the entire marketing budget went for DAOC. Yeah i can see the logic, global media (print. tv, internet etc) unlimited audience vs. game shows, absolute max 3000 freaks...... not forgetting a piss up for DAOC staff...... plus a stall in these conventions must cost 20k minimum (not including staffing)

IainC

Ahh so thats where the entire marketing budget went for DAOC. Yeah i can see the logic, global media (print. tv, internet etc) unlimited audience vs. game shows, absolute max 3000 freaks...... not forgetting a piss up for DAOC staff...... plus a stall in these conventions must cost 20k minimum (not including staffing)

Leipzig has 200,000 visitors each year, it's the biggest computer games show in the world. We did the print and internet marketing as well as go to shows of course. I personally went and gave press demos, tours and interviews to journalists, magazines and websites all over Europe during my time on DAoC.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
Leipzig has 200,000 visitors each year, it's the biggest computer games show in the world. We did the print and internet marketing as well as go to shows of course. I personally went and gave press demos, tours and interviews to journalists, magazines and websites all over Europe during my time on DAoC.

Not to get to pedantic about marketing but 200,000 visitors does not mean 200,000 people visit the DAoC stall or show interest in it because there was no "hard sell" done. So what u get is probably DAoC diehards of approx 3000. Exhibitions should be the last thing on the marketing agenda. Thankfully u are getting it right with WAR because the media blitz started 2 years ago..........

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

So your essentially saying that DAoC was an almost unsellable dog as you went to all this trouble and expense and the population did nothing but hold static for a while and eventually nosedive?

Admittedly mmorpg's were a real niche' market back then and never well publicised or slickly marketted until WoW came out. Perhaps you concentrated your efforts in the wrong place?

Always saddens me when i think about how good DAoC is as a game, but how poorly it was maintained and marketted :(

rynnor

Rockhound
Always saddens me when i think about how good DAoC is as a game, but how poorly it was maintained and marketted :(

It wasnt that good - it had serious problems built in from word go such as the assasin/archer unbalanced classes, no mechanism to balance the realm populations, run thru, badly implemented cc etc. etc.

I like the fact that they seem to have learned a lot from DAOC and that those experiences had a direct input to WAR - it should be a far better game than DAOC was - forget DAOC - the future is WAR :clap:

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
It wasnt that good - it had serious problems built in from word go such as the assasin/archer unbalanced classes, no mechanism to balance the realm populations, run thru, badly implemented cc etc. etc.

Plus the looks weren't very good. For an mmo at the time, it looked ok, but the original models an animations...or the water...when I showed the people at school the game I played (gamesdesign school), they were like...OMG we're in the new millenium! Get over those gfx! Ofcourse alot has changed since then, but I have a feeling it was too late by then. TOA came, the game looked good now, but the content of TOA scared alot of people.

But indeed, forget DAoC, WAR is the (distant?) future...

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Iain
Gothenburg Sweden seems to missing?

You guys could crash in my sofa, its quite big! :m00:

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
Do GOA have any plans on going to Play.com Live in the UK in March? Its the biggest games event we have ever had and Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, activision and many more are confirmed as going. Wouldnt want you lot to miss a golden chance to get WAR out there more. and plus im going :p wouldnt mind having a bash on WAR as im not in BETA (yet :()

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom