WAR Euro Beta Sign ups! and away we go...

Gamah

Banned
rofl even the sign up form doesn't work properly if you have a postcode longer than 6 digits you cant enter your full postcode..and what's "name" and "First name" about..GOOD START GOA!

Edit: ADSL is not even listed in the internet connection box :D

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
I'm still stuck work at the moment tho its 4:15pm now so in a couple hours I'll get my chance to dice with the GOA website.

A lot of people having problems with that site, US version should be up soon might be easier to sign up for that beta.

Eble

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Woot 1st official step for EU War and 1st fuckup.
Good start, i won't even bother tbh either i get in Us Beta or i'll wait for release.

Oh and Eble title "Euro War beta Fuckups" would fit better :)

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
haha I can't comment on the grounds I won't get Beta slot, Which I guess I won't anyway.

In which case I'll back to post a reply :)

Eble

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I already commented on the postcode annoyance at 6.50 am ... :)

But its really not good enough to get the basics wrong. They have this stuff in the address part of DAOC account storage. In basic design you would take the template from that and tweak it. People should learn not to re invent the wheel.

They probably hired another 10 year old to do the website.

When will they leave the FLASH alone. Keep it simple stupid has been a basic rule of life and yet they seem to just ignore it continually.

One of my old lecturers said to me, there will always be people in the room who know more about the subject I teach, than I do. Goa need to maybe think apply that lesson to their client base.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
I already commented on the postcode annoyance at 6.50 am ... :)

But its really not good enough to get the basics wrong. They have this stuff in the address part of DAOC account storage. In basic design you would take the template from that and tweak it. People should learn not to re invent the wheel.

They probably hired another 10 year old to do the website.

When will they leave the FLASH alone. Keep it simple stupid has been a basic rule of life and yet they seem to just ignore it continually.

One of my old lecturers said to me, there will always be people in the room who know more about the subject I teach, than I do. Goa need to maybe think apply that lesson to their client base.

the website is nice stop crying like a 10 year old imo

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
the website is nice stop crying like a 10 year old imo

Eh, you think ? Maybe read the post, I am not happy with failure to get the basics wrong. Like a crucial thing like the post code.

Do you think the bigger sites like Amazon don't use Flash for a reason ? Its because you need to keep the thing simple. Simple can be beautiful.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Eh, you think ? Maybe read the post, I am not happy with failure to get the basics wrong. Like a crucial thing like the post code.

Do you think the bigger sites like Amazon don't use Flash for a reason ? Its because you need to keep the thing simple. Simple can be beautiful.

Amazon are trying to flog things to everyone and anyone ;)

GOA are doing a flash site to pimp an online game which requires a 3d engine to run... Accessibility isn't really an issue (as you can't play daoc with a screen reader).

That said I do prefer html forms to flash forms :p but meh, I can live with flash.

On postcodes - don't put in a space and it'll work unless you've got one of those 7 digit london postcodes.

d34k

Fledgling Freddie
I'm definitely not a fan of pure Flash websites -- but, a few glitches aside, the sign up procedure was fairly painless. The hardest bit was coming up with some kind of uberleet password. An auto-generate option would have halved the sign up time for me. :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
and what's "name" and "First name" about..
Well, "First name" is your first name, and "name" is your last name (i.e. family name).

Apart from postal codes, it doesn't handle city names with any non-english characters in them (like Swedish "å ä ö" for instance - which rules out quite a lot of towns/cities).

I'm guessing we could "englishify" them by removing the circles and dots though - but it's still a bit "meh" to not include the latin-1 charset on a European signup form.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Oh I live in London with my Newbury (Reading) postcode do I?

Meh, it's close enough ;) dodgy southerners. Just too many people down there :p

Up here there's only three people so we've only got 6 digit postcodes.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Meh, it's close enough ;) dodgy southerners. Just too many people down there :p

Up here there's only three people so we've only got 6 digit postcodes.

Lies ! :p ............ anyone outside a city centre has a 7 digiter around here.....

Yo
Ls
Ne
Hu

etc.

Silly fecking website. :(

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I did try removing the space, still couldn't get it in.

Royal Mail don't seem to function without a correct postcode.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Royal Mail don't seem to function

nuff said :puke:

and honestly, how hard is it to check ?
why do i get the feeling it was written in french, translated, due to some of the wording, and the sizes of the spaces

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
I dunno how important the post codes will be really, there'll more than likely be some online form of acquiring the game rather than ye olde send out beta cd's.

Annoyingly I've only just seen the singup now and i'm at work so can't signup til im home, wish I saw this in the morning before work! Ah well.

Dard

Part of the furniture
Wont let me sign up .. they must not want whiney old gits :(

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
lol - the webprogrammer is a real frikken genius!!!! - how fucking stooopid is it that you cannot print off a copy of all of your fucking settings that you enter in! (try it - it just prints blank pages (well it did do on IE7 anyhow!)

skelli

Fledgling Freddie
If we have signed up to the EU one, will there be any penalty if we sign up for the US one as well? Like if you spammed lots of applications or something

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Well, "First name" is your first name, and "name" is your last name (i.e. family name).

Apart from postal codes, it doesn't handle city names with any non-english characters in them (like Swedish "å ä ö" for instance - which rules out quite a lot of towns/cities).

I'm guessing we could "englishify" them by removing the circles and dots though - but it's still a bit "meh" to not include the latin-1 charset on a European signup form.
Update, ä seem to work fine, I'm guessing ö as well - not å though. :(

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
OK password format that seems to work is

1HnnnnnnF2

ie substitute the same number of letters lower case have two upper case and 2 numbers somewhere.

It gave me a headache.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
OK password format that seems to work is

1HnnnnnnF2

ie substitute the same number of letters lower case have two upper case and 2 numbers somewhere.

It gave me a headache.

It says it needs 2 uppercase, 4 lowercase and 2 numbers in a 8 character password. No exceptions.

So "NNnnnn01" works just as fine.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
It says it needs 2 uppercase, 4 lowercase and 2 numbers in a 8 character password. No exceptions.

So "NNnnnn01" works just as fine.

Does it _have_ to be 2 uppercase 4 lowercase? Or can you have more Uppercase like 01NNNNnn ?

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
You can have more than eight but the 2 uppercase and 2 numbers are essential.

So LordjOX is right and mine would work as well.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
If we have signed up to the EU one, will there be any penalty if we sign up for the US one as well? Like if you spammed lots of applications or something

the US one doesn't allow signups from europe (at least the country drop down is different).

I don't think there's a prize for filling in the form the fastest btw so if you can't fill it in due to having a 7 digit postcode you can probably afford to wait till it's fixed.

The other option is filling in the first 6 digits "AB12 3CD" as "AB123C" since postcodes have the most significant bits first.... and then when you can sign in to change your details update it :p

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
hrm, once you confirmed everything, is it normal that the formular is just reloaded ? Without any error messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom