Want to get an old computer very very quiet

S

(Shovel)

In a month or so I'm going home and need to set up a router so I can leech off the family's Cable connection. The plan is to take our old Cyrix 166+ (133Mhz) and use Freesco (the Linux router project) to set it up.

Now, the only thing is, I want some silence from it.

The CPU currently has a fan on it, but I know that some Intel 133s got away with very big heatsinks instead. With todays modern technology I'm wondering if I can swap the fan for a heatsink instead? I know Zalman do some big-ish copper ones for North Bridges that might do the job?

Then there's the power supply... that might need replacing for something quiet? Or maybe not, depends on cost I guess. I know it isn't too loud, but it would be nice to get something a lot quieter going really.

Has anyone tried this before? Or am I better just sticking with the fan it already has and not risking blowing the thing up?

S

Scooba Da Bass

You might as well try it, a replacement chip and mobo couldn't cost you more than 15 quid tops.

D

Deadmanwalking

My old P2 400 didnt have a fan... and the heatsink wasnt very big at all, so i dont see why this would need one.

M

mookie

i had a k6-2 350 set up with smoothwall, i replaced the hsf with a fop-32 heatsink and removed the psu fan. the cpu went great but the psu now seems dead. so umm, big heatsink, and dont remove the PSU fan :)

E

Embattle

It should work Shovel, my old P1-133 only required a carefully positioned case fan.

S

(Shovel)

The problem now is source such things to fit such an old computer.

I got the idea from this: http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php (at the bottom of the page. Now, this could be fitted, using the thermal adhesive provided, but is this a good idea(TM) with a CPU?

Simiarly, anyone know where I might be able to get a silent AT power supply cooler?

K

kameleon

I've got a silent psu in my celery 333 box

Im not sure they sell them any more because this one is attached to the power switch on the case

Users who are viewing this thread