Waking up mid REM cycle

Y

Yoni

Does anyone else feel completely and utterly wasted for the rest of the day if they are woken up mid REM?

Well I did this morning and I can barely keep my eyes open. This causes me two issues.

1] I can barely keep my eyes open
2] If I drink buckets of coffee I will end up a blithering jittering mess.

What do you lot do to come round when you wake up mid REM to counter the involuntary closure of your eyes? Do any of you ever wake up Mid REM?

There are positive sides though - the dream you were having is as clear as reality :p

C

Ch3tan

Yes its just happened to me too, I feel absolutly shit. Just thought I'd recovered from a cold too, but I feel very drained now. Thankfully I don't do coffee, lots of water and pissing will see me through the day.

Its Friday and payday today, whcih means I have no choice but to go out tonight. Finish work at 10pm and then straight out. :(

Still the alcahol is something to look forward to :)

X

xane

I know what you mean, someone woke me up halfway through "Losing my Religion" and not only was I grotty all day but I couldn't get the words out of my head either.

J

Jupitus

Cancel all meetings, lock the office door, send all calls, and close my eyes :)

.... I wish! :(

T

throdgrain

Ive no idea what you're talking about ..

T

Tom

My solution is to eat a massive breakfast, and punish myself on the bike. It happens to me regularly, more often because my alarm doesn't always go off at the same time. Sometimes I have to be up for work at about 0430, its just the way it is. I'm used to it now.

L

leggy

Originally posted by throdgrain
Ive no idea what you're talking about ..

They are talking about waking up during Random Eye Movement sleep. This is the deep sleep where you tend to dream. It is usually a pain in the arse to wake up (and get up) during it as you will probably be fux0red.

/edit

Xane, I knew someone had to do the obvious gag but I never thought it would be you :D

X

Xtro 2.0

Have a wank.

On a side note, there are several ladies rushing around the staff restaurant this morning preparing buns cakes and sweets for the Macmillan Cancer Foundation.

Whilst this is all well and good I have to complain later as I asked one if "Can I have a free cake as I have cancer?" and no food was issued forth.

J

Jonny_Darko

When I had a baby in the house, I think this used to happen with me - basically there were certain times in the night that I could get out of bed, and other times (for example between 1-2 am) that I just couldn't wake myself up. Any other times that she cried I was up and in there immediately but at the other times all I could do was summon enough strength to kind of swear blurrily and kick my partner to see if she was more capable of waking.

Would those times have been REM sleep?

L

leggy

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0

Whilst this is all well and good I have to complain later as I asked one if "Can I have a free cake as I have cancer?" and no food was issued forth.

You owe me one keyboard.

The one that I spilt my coffee all over :D

T

Trem

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Have a wank.

On a side note, there are several ladies rushing around the staff restaurant this morning preparing buns cakes and sweets for the Macmillan Cancer Foundation.

:D

ban tbh:eek:

A

Any

Why not just go back to sleep? Always works for me. :)

L

leggy

That would be ok if y0ni didn't get up at 5am every morning :/

I am barely asleep by then :D

M

mank

I've had to get up the past couple of days earlier than usual (1pm) and I've been knackered. Didn't realise it was down to being woken up mid-dream though :/

7th

i do it every day. well.. maybe.. but it'd explain why i feel so shit every day... or that might be something to do with only getting 5-6 hours sleep on average each night

(im a firm believer in squeezing as much personal time into my life as possible, i hate and detest working and hate the fact it pulls me away from doing my own things during the day.. hence i dont generally go to bed until 1:30 / 2am and then maybe sit up reading for a bit too)

today i got into work at 10:50'ish

only 2 and a half hours late

7th

T

Tom

Originally posted by mank
I've had to get up the past couple of days earlier than usual (1pm) and I've been knackered. Didn't realise it was down to being woken up mid-dream though :/

Lazy bastard.

D

Deady

For those interested

remsleep.gif

Wow a transparent gif...that didnt work.

L

leggy

Which means you are waking up at the peak of deep sleep. nice :)

No wonder you are munted.

X

Xtro 2.0

Still no cake :/

I did actually say that btw legs sorry for making you spit coffee out :) The fit lassie isn't very impressed with me :|

I

icemaiden

Tbh if someone came up and said that to me when i was collecting for charity i'd have kicked them square in the balls :)

A

Any

Originally posted by leggy

Thats only if you go to bed at 12. I guess that graph is just to show the 8 hours sleep an average person needs.

N

Neural Network

No, it's actually the other way around. When you're in "REM mode" you're very close to be awake (look at the chart). When you're in deep sleep you don't dream at all.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Neural Network
No, it's actually the other way around. When you're in "REM mode" you're very close to be awake (look at the chart). When you're in deep sleep you don't dream at all.

Oh yes sorry my mistake.

And I look at scientific graphs every day :/. Shows you how suitable I am for this job :D

C

Cdr

Oh yes sorry my mistake.

And I look at scientific graphs every day :/. Shows you how suitable I am for this job :D

Are these important scientific graphs? Like, I dunno, u get it wrong and there could be a world changing incident?

L

leggy

Originally posted by Cdr
Are these important scientific graphs? Like, I dunno, u get it wrong and there could be a world changing incident?

Fear not, the only life I endanger when I misread them is my own and the those in the few hundred square metres around me.

Or is that miles?

S

Scouse

I always fall asleep when REM's on. They're boring as fuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom