Vram = Grafic card ram?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Bought Divinity 2 flames of vengeance a few days ago and noticed some insane grafic lag and other anomalies after playing a while.

so i popped on to "can you run it" and had that check the game out on my PC, and the site claimed i had 3 gig of Vram, but isnt Vram my graphic card ram?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
virtual ram? like the page file thing on XP? i think you can change how much it is but cant remember how!

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If Vista - right click 'Computer', click advanced system settings click 'Settings' for performance, Advanced tab and virtual memory is there.

Video ram always confuses me as it seems to partially take your actual ram into consideration.

Start - run - type 'dxdiag', Display 1 tab and you'll see what I mean. Mine now says 2425mb video ram even though my card is 1gb...it used to say under 2gb. Confusing to say the least...

It could mean either one although to be honest, it's more likely to be a grab of your video ram. Virtual memory is merely a secondary pool for your actual RAM and is much, MUCH slower. It does however mean things slow down rather then crash when overloaded which is nigh on always a good thing. :)

edit: Here is why. Apparently Vista specifically uses more RAM as VRAM when required...it might well have carried on with Win7, can't say it's a bad thing really. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom