Question VPN and Fire Stick

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
As the good people of Amazon don't seem to want to launch Amazon Prime here in the Emerald Isle, I've been thinking about workarounds. I could just go off an torrent the Grand Tour or whatever, but I doubt I'm going to get any of that 4K goodness that way, so I was thinking about VPNs. I used to have a VPN on my PC but I got increasingly less use out of it because I like watching tv shows on my actual big-assed TV. But now with Android sticks and whatnot; could I put a VPN on a Fire Stick? Is there an app for that? That way I could just run it one of my HDMI connections and not worry about flicking back and forth from Irish to UK IPs. Or am I missing something?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I believe you'd have to have the VPN operating upstream of the Fire Stick in your modem/router. A DNS service like Unlocator supposedly works for geolocked stuff, though.

DaGaffer

I believe you'd have to have the VPN operating upstream of the Fire Stick in your modem/router. A DNS service like Unlocator supposedly works for geolocked stuff, though.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that. Looks like Unlocator is setup to run on with Fire TV though. I'll take a look.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The fire sticks don't do 4k, only the fire tv box.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that. Looks like Unlocator is setup to run on with Fire TV though. I'll take a look.

Unlocator stopped working for me with my Fire TV and Netflix/Amazon. Have you had any joy with it?

DaGaffer

Unlocator stopped working for me with my Fire TV and Netflix/Amazon. Have you had any joy with it?

Haven't got the Fire TV box yet. I had to get it delivered to my brother and I'll pick it up when I take a trip to London in a couple of weeks.

DaGaffer

Interesting. Picked up my Fire TV box when I was in the UK yesterday, plugged it in, works. No region lock for Prime. So they won't deliver a box to Ireland but won't stop you using it if you get one.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Interesting. Picked up my Fire TV box when I was in the UK yesterday, plugged it in, works. No region lock for Prime. So they won't deliver a box to Ireland but won't stop you using it if you get one.

Probably counts as the UK as far as they're concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom