Vodka tasting session

kiliarien

Part of the furniture

So me and a couple of others had a few bottles of vodka lying about that were a bit more expensive than supermarket own stuff. We used Smirnoff Black as our benchmark and worked from there, both neat and with mixers - decent quality lemonade, orange. We chose:

Mamont
Chase
Kauffman

Anybody a vodka officiando who can predict the results? (Other than the hangover/lingering drunkeness the next morning.)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've only had Chase and Smirnoff black out of those, Chase is a world apart from smirnoff black; it's fantastic stuff.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I love the whole "tasting" mockery. Just say it like it is; me and mates gonna get sh*tfaced on vodka.

It's not like you sit there, sipping vodka and going "omnomnom yes good".

Or if you indeed do, ooh lala mister hoitytoity :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
What's there to taste?
In my mind, vodka = water + alcohol
Since I don't care for the taste of alcohol on it's own, I don't drink vodka.

Mey

Part of the furniture
belvedere.jpg

School girls!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Belvedere is okay, better than your smirnoff's etc, but not close to chase.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
What's there to taste?
In my mind, vodka = water + alcohol
Since I don't care for the taste of alcohol on it's own, I don't drink vodka.

Have heard this claim from so many people who don't drink vodka and it's just so wrong. Vodka may not have as strong a taste as other spirits but it certainly does have one and you can easily tell the difference between a premium vodka and something like Smirnoff.

Need to get my hands on a bottle of Chase i think, know a couple of people who've tried it and they say it's really really nice. Sort of vodka that can easily be drunk straight or with nothing more than the addition of a little bit of freshly squeezed lime juice.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Simple truth is; vodka is for drinking, not tasting ;)

I should know.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ice and a bit of lime :)

I finished my marmelade chase the other day, quite upsetting that it's gone.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Belvedere is okay, better than your smirnoff's etc, but not close to chase.

Bang on, it is overpriced boutique crap, at least Chase comes from a trusted source and is made with passion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You are Finnish, a people who know nothing about tasting and everything about swallowing. :D

Yeap, tasting is for Swedes, prudes and English hoitytoities :p

You know the swallowing isn't so bad in every situation ;)

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I love the whole "tasting" mockery. Just say it like it is; me and mates gonna get sh*tfaced on vodka.

It's not like you sit there, sipping vodka and going "omnomnom yes good".

Or if you indeed do, ooh lala mister hoitytoity :p

Well actually we did this because of a conversation we had about whether there IS a taste difference. The 2005 Kauffman was a present and costs in excess of £100 so we wondered whther it really did make a difference. The answer was; resoundingly yes. I have always found Black to be really smooth but put next to the others it was as rough as a badger's arse.

The consensus with us was that Black was last, then Chase, then Mamont and the Kauffman was by far and away better (although personally I preferred the Chase over the Mamont but I was outvoted.)

After the tasting we did just get down to it of course and we mullered the Black, Chase & Mamont. We couldn't bring ourselves to drink more of the Kauffman after that as it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference if it was supermarket nasty after the first bottle. And at over £100 a bottle? Fook that.

I'll stick to slumming it with my run-of-the-mill vodka's, altthough I'll have to try that Belvedere.

Nate

FH is my second home
Isn't chase the English vodka that beat all others in some awards? Remember reading about it a while ago.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just like our Nyetimber won best sparkling white wine, beating every champagne on the planet. :D

Marc

FH is my second home
All vodka tastes the same to me :s It serves one purpose, to get me shit faced

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
All vodka tastes the same to me :s It serves one purpose, to get me shit faced

You aren't drinking the good stuff then, the mass market stuff is for getting hammered but 'some' of the boutique vodka is very good drinking and worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom