Help VM and Netgear Rangemax

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Well after all my bitching about awful speeds on Virgin I have now found something out.

With the router out of the picture I get top whack speeds, even at tea time, plug the router back in and it goes to shit.

Does anyone have any solution on this as the router is kind of needed for the laptop?

Its a Netgear Rangemax WPNT834 and I am on Windows Vista Ultimate.

Any help appreciated and for others with bad VM speeds a nd a router try unplugging the router and connecting with just the modem.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So with the router are you going via wireless or ethernet? If it's wireless, try going through the ethernet to see if that improves things.

Trem

My main pc is wired, that is the one that bothers me, if I get shit speeds on my laptop (wirelessly) that doesn't really matter. Its really annoyed me and I can't figure it out.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, is it possible someone's skanking your wireless, rinsing your bandwidth. Maybe try disabling the wireless functionality for a while and see if that makes any difference.

I can't think of anything else within the netgear settings that would cause it to be slow when routed as opposed to directly through. As far as I know there's no quality of service settings that can affect the speeds.

Trem

Tried both of the above, used it for months without wireless turned on, only recently got a laptop. Also tried new leads countless times.

I can't figure it out and I am pretty fucked if Nath has no idea.

I blame Ch3t tbh.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My next thought then is that it could be a faulty router, though I'm not 100% on that.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Bound to be the router itself. Other than what nath has already correctly suggested, I can only really add a reset to factory defaults if his steps don't work either. And then at that point I'll again concur and point fingers at a buggered router.

Trem

I have ordered a Buffalo router, just couldn't be arsed messing around with this one. I do like Netgear but I never seem to have any luck with them.

Just seems strange that everything works on it but at awful wired speeds.

Cheers lads, will report back when new router arrives.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I don't have a clue what the problem is, but I reckon you could solve it with some of your trusty DIY skills and a camera.

Trem

I don't have a clue what the problem is, but I reckon you could solve it with some of your trusty DIY skills and a camera.

:D

I have a new camera now so the cuts and bruises would be loads clearer than before.

I did actually get a thorn in my finger yesterday, a cm long thorn that stopped on the bone, that was fun.

Trem

Got my new router today and everything is fantastic now, have to say these Buffalo units are fucking great, totally pisses on the Netgear for ease, speed and range.

/me is happy with VM again.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
got My New Router Today And Everything Is Fantastic Now, Have To Say These Buffalo Units Are Fucking Great, Totally Pisses On The Netgear For Ease, Speed And Range.

/me Is Happy With Vm Again.
How Dare You Besmirch The Hallowed Name Of Netgear.

Repent, Repent Ye Filthy Beggar!

(bah that was supposed to be all caps. Bold will have to suffice.)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Are you sure your router was not simply faulty, or needed a firmware upgrade or something?

Trem

How Dare You Besmirch The Hallowed Name Of Netgear.

Repent, Repent Ye Filthy Beggar!

(bah that was supposed to be all caps. Bold will have to suffice.)
:D

Never thought I would say it myself, but I am mightily impressed with Buffalo (for the time being)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
To be fair, I've only used Buffalo once before and it was about 3 years ago. It had a crap interface, didn't work very well and looked shit. I guess they could be better now :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
See a lot of Buffalo kit peddled by Argos and PC World, hence have mostly avoided it - other than that only when their clueless owners have been leaving their wireless open :) (I never do anything naughtier than leaving a note in the routers log "please secure your password, if you need help knock on my door")

It's not as bad as Belkin stuff though, that's a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom