vista sp1 and xp sp3 prebeta release new

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
In addition to the previously reported Windows Vista SP1 drop to testers, Microsoft has just recently (few days ago) dropped a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the lap of the same small group of testers.

Coming in at less than 350MB, the service pack includes fixes for over 900 reported problems, some of which have already been resolved with post-Service Pack 2 hotfixes.

For the hardcore build string collectors, this build is tagged 5.1.2600.3180 (xpsp.070718-2058) (Thanks again C).

Given the close proximity of the two betas we guestimate both 'packs will be released simultaneously. We'll let you know if we hear of a more solid release date.

Click Read More to view the rest of this article.

View: Windows Vista SP1 Screenshot #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

View: Windows XP SP3 Screenshot #1 | #2 |
News Source: WinBeta

Update from WinBeta: We've come across a few screenshots that were provided to us a few minutes ago (~11:00pm PDT, Aug. 6th) that claim to be from Vista SP1 and XP SP3. Note that the themes for some of the screenshots are modified and are not the actual themes from XP SP3 or Vista SP1 (specifically all the XP SP3 screenshots and the last Vista SP1 screenshot).

Some additional info for Vista SP1 is that it has yet to be delivered as a standalone update to testers and is being delivered only as the full ISO for the moment. Claimed ISO sizes are 3.07GB for the 32-Bit edition and 4.3GB for the 64-Bit edition. The rather large ISO sizes may be explained by debug code for this early phase of testing or it may be related to additional drivers (not sure on this one). Also claimed is that most of the files carry the 6001 build tag as seen in the screenshots and that very few files contain the older 6000 RTM build tag. (Thanks C. and AD.)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
I have the free 32bit vista that came with all XP pro copies bought in the period leading up to the offical release of vista. Has anyone succesfully used the key from a 32bit OEM pack with a copy of Vista64 OEM? Also can an OEM key be used with a non-OEM DVD?

MSDN documentation seems to suggest the first bit may be possible;

With Windows Vista, customers are free to choose either 32-bit or 64-bit editions when purchasing Windows-based computers, and licenses for Windows Vista are valid for both 32-bit or 64-bit editions of the OS. In addition, many 64-bit drivers are available in the box, and device manufactures are required to provide both 32-bit and 64-bit native drivers as part the Windows Logo Program.

DirectX Frequently Asked Questions

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like I asked to early.. I borrowed a copy of the MSDN version of vista 64 DVD and I can confirm that the product key from a Vista 32 can indeed be used for installing vista 64. The OEM key can also be used for the retail copy aswell. Seems alot more flexible then XP was with regards to installs and product keys.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
remember OEM is hardware specific, if you are purchasing it ofc

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
All ready and looking forward to the first service pack now! Have Vista64 and XP setup on dual boot.

remember OEM is hardware specific, if you are purchasing it ofc

It was the free upgrade version from microsoft. They were given free with any copy of windows profesional/MC bought in the last 6 months leading up to vista release. But to be honest Im starting to think it isnt OEM afterall and is just the normal vista upgrade edition (even though the copy of win-MC that qualified for the free DVD was OEM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom