Vista search options

taB

Part of the furniture
Hi all,

My Dad has a new work machine with Vista and is finding the search option awkward for all his files. It seems to search within documents as well as their titles. He has 000s with the same text in so it doesn't narrow them down at all. I'm sure there's a simple fix to this, hopefully an option to change somewhere.

I run vista at home but have 2k on my work machine here and could work it out with time but I'm seeing him briefly tonight and want to try and fix this for him.

Thanks in advance!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh imo the search in vista is absolutely poo. sorry I'm not helping :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
Pop anything in the search box then click one of the options above that's just appeared : Search Everywhere.
Under Search Tools, go to Search Options, and you can modify how you want it to search there.

You can also get to the same option screen in Control Panel, Folder Options then the Search tab.

I quite agree, it seems a long winded way around a problem that never existed :/

taB

Part of the furniture
Cheers Kryten, Will give that a play tonight!

Will have to explain it to him simply as he doesn't go in for this technology lark much :) He's writing me a list of things I need to go through with him, so more questions may follow.

Ta muchly.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Open Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types and change doc xls docx xlsx ect to Index properties only at the mo they will be set to Index Properties and File Contents.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You need to rebuild the index after that and it should no longer display results inside the files, you can then go to advanced search and tell it to look inside files.

taB

Part of the furniture
Ooh, interesting. Thanks all!

taB

Part of the furniture
Well, I got fed up with the indexing thing, it kept refusing to rebuild so I've turned it off :)

Takes about 5 seconds more to search for the files but it does it properly now.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom