vista question

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ive been wanting to upgrade OS for a couple of years now, and i would like to go vista... but i dont know what version to buy... the 32 or 64 bit one... how do i find out?

soze

I am a FH squatter
psyco said:
ive been wanting to upgrade OS for a couple of years now, and i would like to go vista... but i dont know what version to buy... the 32 or 64 bit one... how do i find out?
Are you running XP 64 bit?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
no, 2000... home addition... i think :-/

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
32 bit... if you have an Athlon64 or a Core 2 Duo then you would be able to use vista 64.

It sounds like you've got a pretty old PC... you need at least a gig of ram, otherwise it's extremely slow.

I'm running vista now with a gig of ram, Athlon 64 3000+ and its still a bit sluggish.

Oh and windows 2000 doesn't come in a "home version" :p I personally would tell you to just upgrade to xp, unless you are planning to upgrade your whole computer... you would seriously feel the slowdown if you upgraded to vista at this point.

EDIT: If you want to confirm what I've said yourself go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx and download the vista upgrade advisor... it will tell you what you need to know.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Vista also has this pretty handy performance evaluator... this is how my computer scores- baring in mind its almost 3 years old now.

performancebx6.jpg

Even my harddrive scores pretty low and its one I bought about 3 weeks ago.

My spec is- Athlon 64 3000+ (S754), 1GB DDR RAM, 250GB Seagate perpendicular harddrive, nVidia 7300GT w/ 256MB GDDR3, nForce 410 Motherboard

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have a 2.14 C2D and 2gb of ram and only get a 5.1 pcu weakest link

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
aye, thats what i thought, im gonna get a new pc soon... and ill skip xp i think...

ok, thanks anyway:)

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
just read that 5.9 is the highest score you can get at the moment.

- English -

Resident Freddy
DocWolfe said:
just read that 5.9 is the highest score you can get at the moment.

my gfx card is a 8800gts - comp is a coreduo 2.4ghz... i got some nice 2gig ram aswell :p

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
XP is still the best OS for games. Initial vista benchmarking suggests both applications and games run faster under XP. Its also a bit slow to start up.

This may change when dx10 games eventually start to get released.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
XP is still the best OS for games. Initial vista benchmarking suggests both applications and games run faster under XP. Its also a bit slow to start up.

This may change when dx10 games eventually start to get released.

speed in witch they load ect, doesn't bother me... just trillian are releasing a 'glass' skin with astra, witch i would really like to experience with vista

as long as they dont have major fps lag, i dont really care;)

soze

I am a FH squatter
View attachment 3331

My Machine looks like i need a better Harddisk. Out of interest you guys with Vista how much memory dose yours use when idle. On both Home Premium and Ultimate my machine grabs 26% of the ram and never lets go so 500+mb gone :)

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
soze said:
View attachment 3331

My Machine looks like i need a better Harddisk. Out of interest you guys with Vista how much memory dose yours use when idle. On both Home Premium and Ultimate my machine grabs 26% of the ram and never lets go so 500+mb gone :)

Vistahas a very cool feature memory wise though, u can use usb memory keys and seven in one card readers as extra memory in your system, which will improve things without having to shell out on lots of extra ram, havent really tested this yet myself, but will 2nite with a 1gb mem stick, will let u know

soze

I am a FH squatter
razeredge said:
Vistahas a very cool feature memory wise though, u can use usb memory keys and seven in one card readers as extra memory in your system, which will improve things without having to shell out on lots of extra ram, havent really tested this yet myself, but will 2nite with a 1gb mem stick, will let u know
Speed boost i tried it and ruled it pointless as unless im missing something (possible) it will only be useable at usb2 speeds so a pagefile is a better option :) Could be handy in a pinch :)

Rebuilding my machine atm as i found my secondary media disk actually has faster speeds than my main disk so im swapping them :) im hoping it will improve my HD score :)

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
while sata is quicker than usb2, due to the way its done, (dont ask me the details :) ), there should be an increase in performance,
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/04/14/576548.aspx - shows the details for setting it up

Q: Aren't Hard Disks faster than flash? My HDD has 80MB/sec throughput.
A: Hard drives are great for large sequential I/O. For those situations, ReadyBoost gets out of the way. We concentrate on improving the performance of small, random I/Os, like paging to and from disk.

- From Matt Ayers, who is the Program Manager in the Microsoft Windows Client Performance group and basically owns the ReadyBoost feature

soze

I am a FH squatter
Chronictank said:
E6600, 2gig ram, x1900xtx, 250Gb Raptors in raid 0
I take it 5.3 is the PCU? if so im not that upset i decided on the 2.14 option £50 cheaper for .2 less performance. Out of interest what did the raptors score?

razeredge said:
while sata is quicker than usb2, due to the way its done, (dont ask me the details :) ), there should be an increase in performance,
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/04/14/576548.aspx - shows the details for setting it up

Q: Aren't Hard Disks faster than flash? My HDD has 80MB/sec throughput.
A: Hard drives are great for large sequential I/O. For those situations, ReadyBoost gets out of the way. We concentrate on improving the performance of small, random I/Os, like paging to and from disk.

- From Matt Ayers, who is the Program Manager in the Microsoft Windows Client Performance group and basically owns the ReadyBoost feature

I just though that you would not get faster than the 300mbps on sata drives but seemingly mains powered usb2 can do 420mbps so i was wrong there too :)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
I take it 5.3 is the PCU? if so im not that upset i decided on the 2.14 option £50 cheaper for .2 less performance.

I hope those are overclocked and not running at stock speed :eek6:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ballard said:
I hope those are overclocked and not running at stock speed :eek6:
Mine gets a 5.1 non over clocked 2.14 dual core. Waiting for a better than stock cooling fan befor i go too deep into over clocking it

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
apparently daoc won't run on vista atm :) so assuming you do play it (this is daoc boards technical help and all ... :)) vista is probably a bad idea..

That said there might be work arounds and mythic are working on making it fully compliant.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
Mine gets a 5.1 non over clocked 2.14 dual core. Waiting for a better than stock cooling fan befor i go too deep into over clocking it

The stock fan is more than good enough for at least a .5 ghz OC on any conroe :p but hey I can understand if you dont trust it, as its really the first good intel fan I have seen in a long time. The conroes really come into there own at about the 3ghz mark, you will definetly notice the difference.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Flimgoblin said:
apparently daoc won't run on vista atm so assuming you do play it (this is daoc boards technical help and all ... :)) vista is probably a bad idea..

That said there might be work arounds and mythic are working on making it fully compliant.
Daoc dose run on Vista really easily XP compatability mode then add the daoc exes to the windows defender and windows firewall. I have run Vista since befor xmas playing daoc :)

Ballard said:
The stock fan is more than good enough for at least a .5 ghz OC on any conroe but hey I can understand if you dont trust it, as its really the first good intel fan I have seen in a long time. The conroes really come into there own at about the 3ghz mark, you will definetly notice the difference.
I should just stop being a wimp and try it :) i will give it a real go when the new arctic cooling fan shows up 120mil pcu fans :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Use XP until the successor of Vista is out. Then use Vista :O.

I used 2K till Vista was on the horizon, switched to XP now, which after some service packs and patches and new hardware on the market is quite usuable now.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
I just though that you would not get faster than the 300mbps on sata drives but seemingly mains powered usb2 can do 420mbps so i was wrong there too :)

SATA-300 is 300 MBps = 300 MegaBytes per second.
USB2.0 is 480 Mbps = 480 Megabits per second = 60 MegaBytes per second.

The issue they're pointing at here though isn't the thruput, but the access time. that 8ms access time for good harddrives still is an eternity for computers, and flash does that better, so if you've got a lot of tiny files, that access time makes a huge difference.

Also, besides my personal aversion to anything microsoft, there's no real reason to change to vista yet. There aren't any games out that need DX10, and the prices of everything are still pretty high due to it's newness.
I'd rather not go vista at all, but if you really want to, I'd definately wait till the first few critical patches have been issued to fix the most critical babyissues, and prices for the hardware (and possibly software) have dropped a bit.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Look, just avoid Vista like the plague, full stop. It's half-arsed, half-baked, half-finished bloatware that'll eat your system and stop half the stuff you want to do from working at all, and good luck finding drivers for the other half.

I wouldn't wish Windows Vista on a *Sorc*, it's that bad.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Look, just avoid Vista like the plague, full stop. It's half-arsed, half-baked, half-finished bloatware that'll eat your system and stop half the stuff you want to do from working at all, and good luck finding drivers for the other half.

I wouldn't wish Windows Vista on a *Sorc*, it's that bad.

But thats what they say about all MS OS's when they first hit the shelves, this won't be any diff. Come SP1 we will all be hard for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom