Vista - New HD - Problems installing software

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have Vista Ultimate.

I have just put in a new hardrive and everything runs fine apart from when I try and install new software.

I had none of these problems with the old HD.

The problem I encounter is that the install of new software seems to pause. The install wizards come up fine and I can click next through everything but when it comes to the actual install of things nothing seems to happen.

A few times when I have tried to install something I have chosen "run as admin" but even with that it doesn't always work.

Is there a way to fix this? Vista doesn't show any conflicts or problems or anything...

I have switched User Access Control off as I thought that might be the problem but it hasn't helped...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
tried creating a short cut for cmd.exe and making that run as admin

then going through dos to run the .exe you want

has helped me in a couple situations where i couldnt get stuff installed

Bob007

Prince Among Men
You can add yourself as the Administrator.
Go to control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.

Expand Local Users and Groups. and select Users. Double click Adminstrator Uncheck Box that says account is disabled and add your account name to the Full Name box.

Best to go with this option with a password protected account and use this account for installing stuff and log into a normal account for general use.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Seems as though it was my External HDD causing the problem.
Maybe I need new drivers for it or something.

If its unplugged all is well...very strange. Would be nice to be able to leave it plugged in...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
have you tried playing with the drive letters?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
no , ive not messed about with drive letters. I see there is new software out for the ext HDD so I will install that and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom